The consequences of affordable collections

KP,
Yes, I do believe that some folk buying fakes believe that almost the entire difference between what they are buying and the real thing is the huge markup from the factory to the retailer. Sometimes, and especially considering the news coming out regarding just how much the makers are paid, it's not that far from the full truth. In this case, you are the one who has simply discounted an opposing view with not a trace of reasoning or evidence.

And, yes, I believe an overabundance of choices makes it hard to make the best choice for your particular circumstances. It's true for toothpaste. Why not clothing? Don't tell me there's never been a time when you stood trying to make a choice and realized there were so many possibilities you were never going to be sure you'd made the right choice and the choice was taking more time than it was worth.

Ah, but the proliferation of fake Rembrandt would adversely affect the price of a not-yet-authenticated or not-absolutely-certain Rembrandt, whatever its quality, not to mention the artist who has to answer the question "Why should I buy an unknown when I could have an "apparent" Rembrandt for the same price?" There's only so much money going to be spent on art, and some of it just left the market.

Last of all, fashion is one of those areas where a lot of the money put into the original is in the development. Like the potter who answers the question "How long did it take you to make that mug?": "Five minutes to make the mug. Twenty years to learn how to make it in five minutes." The high-fashion designer item represents the result of several careers worth of knowledge and experience in design, construction, materials, sourcing, advertising, etc., etc., etc. The maker or marketer of the fake pays nothing for all that, but gets the benefit of it. They should not be rewarded for that.

to all it concerns... which is all of us,

it would be a shame to be pushed to lock this thread
please take personal responses to the PM function
and allow us to go on discussing the topic

feel free to start a philosophical centered thread if needed
but please, dont ruin this discussion for us

:flower:

I just want them to have them...i kinda need them for when I xfer to Columbia...

i'm in a very marxist mood, so here goes
there are many marxist art/lit criticism theories, one of the most prominent criticisms was this
when art is mass produced, it becomes an assembly line. when it becomes an assembly line, all creative genius is lost, and art no longer as an "aura"
IMO this sums up the problem with affordable collections.
yes, affordable collections make fashion more accessible to more people, but the intent behind affordable collections is not to help the non-rich; it is to make fashion houses richer. thus, what is produced in the affordable collections is not determined by the artistic genius of the designer, but by the invisible hand of supply and demand.

BaroqueRockstar said:
i'm in a very marxist mood, so here goes
there are many marxist art/lit criticism theories, one of the most prominent criticisms was this
when art is mass produced, it becomes an assembly line. when it becomes an assembly line, all creative genius is lost, and art no longer as an "aura"
IMO this sums up the problem with affordable collections.
yes, affordable collections make fashion more accessible to more people, but the intent behind affordable collections is not to help the non-rich; it is to make fashion houses richer. thus, what is produced in the affordable collections is not determined by the artistic genius of the designer, but by the invisible hand of supply and demand.
Why doesnt it help non-rich ppl? I think it's a great idea :unsure:

BaroqueRockstar said:
^ i'm glad
i like your avatar, btw!

thanks, finally decided to get one, My company Logo, actually.........

talk later, have to finish a sweater tonite for a customer who is leaving on vacation for Prague tomorrow.................

THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH AMERICA.....or the whole world for that matter.
long time ago people would sell independent designs or stuff they would make by hand....so each store you visited would really not have a realtionship with each other.......BUT NOWADAYS every mall has damn footlockers and h&M and all the money are going to the big bastard corporate bullies so theres really no chance for someone to start a buisness independeley ........... espiecially with all the Brandnames
and the juicy and abercombie in high school.....
UM THANKS HUN BUN ILL STICK TO THE STRANGE TIMLESS AND DMAN BITC* JUST HAND OVER THE COUTURE

Last edited by a moderator:
JJohnson said:
I highly anticipate your new collection :smile:

working on it right now, will be better than last season.
however, i will comment on it in the "fire still burns" thread, as this is not the right thread for that kind of discussion.................

pookie,your sentiments are exactly part of philosophy for my project. all you said is the core of why i am truly organising something that excludes this mass market/corporate enviroment and we're getting back to really creating things out of passion and soul rather than having to sell the latter to make some kind of living. it's about all things handmade/handcrafted(which in it's spontaneity can be the truest form of originality,imo) but the motto is also about being totally independent and totally free in creating these pieces.

please avoid posting off topic replies
and dont be surprised if they get edited soon

half this page's comments are off topic :wink:

I agree with Pookie and Scott, and I know that discussion of the effects of fakes is somewhat off topic, but I just realized why I connect it with the topic of lower-priced designer lines marketed through mainstream high street stores. It's using all the associations of quality that goes with the designer name to sell something presumably (otherwise the lower price makes no sense) lesser in quality, in some respects, the designer doing his own "fakes".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->