THE FORBES DESIGNER LIST (vogue UK)

nqth

arndom
Reaction score
http://www.vogue.co.uk/vogue_daily/story/story.asp?stid=30231

THE FORBES DESIGNER LIST

CHRISTOPHER BAILEY came top of the Forbes list of the world's most influential fashion designers this week. The 34-year-old creative director of Burberry is credited with generating Ł170 million in sales and 421 press mentions. Manolo Blahnik, whose shoes are known by "viewers around the world even if they have never been within miles of an actual pair", comes second with sales of Ł42 million and 1629 press plugs, followed by Dolce & Gabbana (Ł450 million, 950 mentions), Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garcons (Ł82 million, 324 mentions), Karl Lagerfeld (Ł451 million, 5061 mentions), Ralph Lauren (Ł1.5 billion, 9962 mentions), Isaac Mizrahi (Ł282 million over three years, 1639 mentions), YSL designer Stefano Pilati (Ł36 million, 468 mentions), Miuccia Prada (Ł1 billion, 1276 mentions) and John Varvatos (Ł11 million, 484 press mentions). "Some [designers] have long been household names," says Forbes. "Others are better known by fashion insiders. Designers were also chosen for their intellectual edginess or because their approach to clothing fits the way American's live: comfortable, more casual than the Europeans and with less of a distinction between work and play, day and evening." (November 3 2005, AM)

Slimane's too cool for lists.

If there was a rank, Karl Lagerfeld should be lower. He was a $1000 (or $2000) question in Jeopardy and all the contestants got stumped.

fouroclock said:
Slimane's too cool for lists.

If there was a rank, Karl Lagerfeld should be lower. He was a $1000 (or $2000) question in Jeopardy and all the contestants got stumped.

Hey i watched that episode.. to be fair though.. most people.. even on jeopardy.. only know names like Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Perry Ellis, Prada, Louis Vuitton, etc... even big names like John Galliano and Alexander McQueen I don't think are known by people who don't really follow fashion.

Interesting list though...

fouroclock said:

This is debatable. I mean, even Cam'ron knows who Karl Lagerfeld is.

Which brings further question to why he wears pink. (Cam'ron is hot)

I digress.

Is this list based on designers in the nation or globally? I suprised Burberry had such a small number of press mentions compared to others on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
i had no clue comme de garcons made that much money. i became aware of it well after i started following fashion...i always htought of it as a smaller eccentric brand that didnt really make much money

You are welcome Scott:-)

The Comme figure is getting higher:-) The figure from ages ago, and has always been mentioned in press is 100 mln. usd.

CDG makes their money from cologne/perfume and cheaper/mainstream lines like SHIRT and such.

You are welcome, amour, liberty:-)

I don't think the perfumes sell that much indeed. Before the co-op with Puig, the Comme perfume generated about 2 mln. usd. only.

CdG2 (in more shops now) could generate that much alone in the US, after the relaunch (2 years ago I think) with Puig.

And Shirt and such lines were always there. I think they made v. good money with some Guerrillas, DSM and limited, co-op projects, creating a lot of publicity at the same time.

^Isn't Junya & Under Cover also under CdG? I mean,does the business of CdG own those labels? That also could be an additional reason to it's success.

i'm not surprised to see Isaac Mizrahi, Ralph Lauren, and Miuccia Prada on the list. Dolce & Gabbanna and Manolo either...

CharlottefromCA said:
Hey i watched that episode.. to be fair though.. most people.. even on jeopardy.. only know names like Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Perry Ellis, Prada, Louis Vuitton, etc... even big names like John Galliano and Alexander McQueen I don't think are known by people who don't really follow fashion.

Interesting list though...

Agree with you........ It's mostly Chanel, Gucci and LV that are ''houselhold'' names..... :doh:

Glad Slimane isn't on this BADLY made list!

Originally Posted by CharlottefromCA:

:shock: people really don't know this stuff?
...but isn't Galliano mentioned in a Gwen Stefani song? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melizz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->