THE FORBES DESIGNER LIST (vogue UK)

I believe the one and only thing this list proves is that Forbes doesn't know jack about fashion :wink: :lol:

Having effective PR or wide name recognition doesn't make you influential in fashion. So Mizrahi is on this list because of his Target line???

We should make our own list ...

em 692 said:
:shock: people really don't know this stuff?
...but isn't Galliano mentioned in a Gwen Stefani song? :lol:
No one knows who Galliano is, they thought he was a "olden time" designer, I was like John Galliano makes Louis Vuitton look like J.Crew...

Actually, no one knows Lagerfelds namek, but they all know his look. Before I got into fashion I knew the guy who designed for Chanel had a fan and powdered hair, then I learned his name was Karl Lagerfeld.

Galliano should be on the list, though Dior isnt as much of a powerhouse as it used to be. But still when Dior makes headlines in Peru (the F/W HC) it's still something to talk about.

Scott said:
^Isn't Junya & Under Cover also under CdG? I mean,does the business of CdG own those labels? That also could be an additional reason to it's success.

Jun Takahashi of Undercover was a protege of Rei Kawakubo's, but unlike Junya he did not remain under the CdG umbrella.

fashionista-ta said:
I believe the one and only thing this list proves is that Forbes doesn't know jack about fashion :wink: :lol:

Having effective PR or wide name recognition doesn't make you influential in fashion. So Mizrahi is on this list because of his Target line???

I think the problem is that they conflated two very different kinds of influence together: influence on fashion itself (as evidenced by "designer's designers" like Comme) and influence on what fashion mass numbers of people buy and/or aspire to buy (otherwise known as marketing/buzz, and represented by Mizrahi, Blahnik, et. al.)

While the two are related to some degree, throwing them together in the same list as if they were the same thing tends to make the whole project rather meaningless. :huh:

fashionista-ta said:

No, he's on the list because of money and press mentioning. clearly this is not a fashion list but a business/PR list. If you want a more or less real list, someone used to publish the Chambre du Textile list. Whatever happened to this, by the way? I think it was Lena who used to post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
faust, i agree. this is Forbes; it's not meant to be about fashion, but profit/media recognition :innocent:

em 692 said:
faust, i agree. this is Forbes; it's not meant to be about fashion, but profit/media recognition :innocent:

yeah, if that's the case, then I am really curious as to how Slimane didn't make the list...as far as media recognition goes he's practically the golden boy of fashion right now (not saying I necessarily agree with this, but his status as the 'it' guy of the moment can't really be denied).

^ Well, women's designers seem to get more attention ... when people think "fashion" they're thinking about our stuff generally :wink: And it was only here that I first saw a picture of the guy. DH definitely has cult status, but not that much recognition in the culture at large ... do you think?? (apart from that one lyric about Hedi ... :blink:)

I'm kind of amazed how well $$$$ Mizrahi's doing with the Target stuff. It's pretty indifferent, and his other line is only sold at one store, there's shoes still too I think, but the vast majority has to be the mass market stuff ... forget H&M, everybody get in line to design for Target :P

seems like this forbes list is more u.s. concentrated. i mean, i think in europe dior, gucci and other brands that did not get on the list prolly make big money but like the article stated they are not casual enough for americans.....most of the people (who think they buy "fashion") rather buy ugly ralph lauren, calvin klein etc. in the states.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fade to Black said:
yeah, if that's the case, then I am really curious as to how Slimane didn't make the list...as far as media recognition goes he's practically the golden boy of fashion right now (not saying I necessarily agree with this, but his status as the 'it' guy of the moment can't really be denied).

Actually, he is the golden boy of the fashion process, but not the mainstream press. That's a global size difference. You can read about him in i-D all you want, that means nothing. Average Joe Schmoe doesn't read that.

miss6o said:
seems like this forbes list is more u.s. concentrated. i mean, i think in europe dior, gucci and other brands that did not get on the list prolly make big money but like the article stated they are not casual enough for americans.....most of the people (who think they buy "fashion") rather buy ugly ralph lauren, calvin klein etc. in the states.

It's not U.S. concentrated. It's the amount you sell and mentioning in the press - statistics.

^ so you proved my point. people buy sh*t and think its "fashion". hahah.
but the real crown belongs to old fashion houses like dior and chanel

miss6o said:
^ so you proved my point. people buy sh*t and think its "fashion". hahah.
but the real crown belongs to old fashion houses like dior and chanel

no, i didn't prove your point. your point was that geography was a criteria in this survey.

faust said:
It's not U.S. concentrated. It's the amount you sell and mentioning in the press - statistics.

Except that Comme des Garcons is a whopping big exception to this rule. Look how few their press mentions are, and their sales may be stellar for a niche label, but not by the standards of something like Isaac Mizrahi's line for Target, or Ralph Lauren.

This list just has no focus, and no guiding principle. They picked a few people for reason X, a few more for reason Y, and then Comme des Garcons to give the appearance of appreciating "intellectual" fashion.

There's nothing remotely methodical about their so-called "methodology" for creating this list.

Im surprised of Kawakubo's mention on the list ... Im please tho ... which reminds me .. wasnt Forbes who claimed that Milla beat Gisele on how much she earned last year as a model? -find it kinda funky-

The Baron said:
Except that Comme des Garcons is a whopping big exception to this rule. Look how few their press mentions are, and their sales may be stellar for a niche label, but not by the standards of something like Isaac Mizrahi's line for Target, or Ralph Lauren.

This list just has no focus, and no guiding principle. They picked a few people for reason X, a few more for reason Y, and then Comme des Garcons to give the appearance of appreciating "intellectual" fashion.

There's nothing remotely methodical about their so-called "methodology" for creating this list.
agreed...
and i believe that the original post states that it is done from an american point of view...

faust...
i think the leform's website posts the list you are referring to...
that was the credit for previous posts containing that info...

and i believe that the original post states that it is done from an american point of view...

exactly.....thats what i meant too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melizz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->