The Gentlewoman Spring / Summer 2010 : Phoebe Philo by David Sims

verdict: i guess, that magazine will have same destiny as fantastic man. messy magazine for unknown audience. only 1 article to read and very dumb*** photostories

I just wonder if you ever read a single issue of Fantastic Man. If there's one single mens magazine focusing on fashion and style that can't be called messy, it got to be Fantastic Man. Their target reader group can't be more specific, which I am sure doesn't include trendy teenagers or anyone looking for homo-erotica in mens fashion magazine. I am not saying I love it to death, but it's certainly a title worth spending more than 10 bucks on every season.

sure i read it, otherwise i just won`t say anything. i even have some copies which i bought in A-dam. and usually i love dutch mags, but FM is other thing totally. (maybe because it was done in UK actually) for me the most interesting men`s mag is Paradis. there`s so much more to read and (the most important) to look at than in FM and thats such a weird project what i can say i luv it.

Last edited by a moderator:
review

The Best New Fashion Magazines Ever

Looking for fashion mags that are fun, intelligent, cool and BS-free? So was I. And I found them. I read a lot of fashion magazines, both for my job and for fun. And at the end of the day, it gets tedious and I, at least, didn't feel much of it was written for me or readers like me — those who are interested in style, but wonder if a little substance is too much to ask. And then, as if my prayers were answered, the mail arrived.
I had been excited about the launch of The Gentlewoman since I heard about it a few months ago: Just from the available previews and the standard set by the publisher's other magazine, Fantastic Man, I knew it would be stylish, witty, and a good read. But until my first issue arrived last week, I had no idea just how good.
Yes, it's stylish. The aesthetic is high-concept retro-modern, styled for interest but not shock value. Spreads have a sense of humor: a retro gym weight-lifting session is especially good. The art direction is lovely, the pictures frame-worthy. And in addition to those spreads featuring models, Gentlewoman uses the women profiled to model clothes - designer Pheobe Philo, yes, but also winemaker Sara Perez and Belgian artist Catharina van Eetvelde. The women featured ran the gamut from models to Japanese architect Kazuyo Sejima, ice-cream maker Kitty Travers, and ocean-swimmer Lynne Cox. There's a wider range of ages and body-types than one normally sees in a fashion magazine, but all presented matter-of-factly and on equal footing: they are all, simply, women of style.
thumb160x_tgw14tall.jpg

The editor's letter encapsulates a lot of what I found so appealing. Listing off some of the women who've "amazed and empowered generations with their intelligence and glamour," she names Germaine Greer and Poison Ivy.
Elegantly side-stepping the passive and cycnical cool of recent decades, The Gentlewoman champions the optimism, sincerity and ingenuity that actually get things done. These are the upbeat and pragmatic qualities defining gentlewomen of today.
How many fashion mags make you feel good while still managing to aesthetically inspire? I, for one, was heartened - and lost to the world for a good two hours as I read it cover to matte-paper cover.
At the end of the day, of course, the Gentlewoman is still high-fashion. It's also a splurge. Which is why I am so delighted to tell you about another, new-to-me magazine at the other end of the spectrum, which by delightful chance I also received in the mail this past week. Worn is in many ways The Gentlewoman's polar opposite: scrappy, indie, more Ready-Made than W in aesthetic, and decidedly affordable. However, the Canadian journal takes the same pleasure in making us see fashion in a novel way - and in celebrating a retro aesthetic. As their website explains, the magazine serves to present a range of different kinds of beauty and contribute "opinion and intelligent commentary that's untainted by advertisers' demands."
340x_bikingworn.jpg
But this isn't to say it's a dry read! Pieces on the legendary eccentric Marchesa Casati share space with makeup reviews; an exploration of color and gender gives way to an all-vintage spread inspired by Nancy Drew. (Indeed, the magazine doesn't promote products or even trends; most of what is pictured is vintage or street-style, and as such is particularly inspiring to the average reader.) I couldn't say for sure, but I'd guess that it doesn't contain a single professional model. In essence, it's the non-fashion fashion mag, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
Between these two magazines, I found myself tremendously heartened - entertained, inspired, delighted and newly-reminded of the point of good fashion - or just style - writing. Both these magazines understand that fashion is one thing, and clothing quite another, and inspiring woman the point behind both. I feel like I've made new friends - one European and chic and well-traveled, the other wickedly funny and with a vintage wardrobe I want to steal. -Jezebel.com

I love Eniko's story, love her lost in her thoughts gaze, makes her look like she's about to run away, having something in mind, being already somewhere else, and the styling doesn't go agaisnt that idea as well... love that mood :wub:

I was intrigued by the mag, especially because I adore the latest two Céline collections design wise and styling wise -the materials, the cuts, the palette,the mood... and also casting wise, same goes for the aesthetics of Céline s/s 10 ad campaign. I don't know, I'm into it. It's just inspiring.
Now after reading jezebel's review I'm looking forward to getting this...

Has anyone found this in NYC yet? Originally, it was slated as "hitting news stands WORLDWIDE on March 22nd" but the guy at Around the World said it isn't out in the states yet. Just trying to figure out if he's yanking my chain...

I went looking for it too but couldn't find it so I emailed the distribution company. They said it will be out, but the release is delayed (didn't say by how much unfortunately).

I bought it in Strasbourg, was pleased to see it twice already, at the trainstation bookshop and at my usual one downtown, so I guess it must be quite easy to find anywhere in France

i reallz love the layout. actually i think its fantastic, as its taking the spirit of chloe, marc jacobs, celine and acne, which for me is the spirit of now. we don´t need anna wintour, we need individuality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MicheleO
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->