The 'Hat' Thread

OMG! "Paris Match" is one of my favourite songs; it's soooo Style Council, mod-80s, jazzy, beautiful and sad ("in a natural way")

Edit: oh yeah, something about hats ... I quite liked the ones in the "Philosophy 2014 Resort" Collection. And Annie Hall wears a mean hat. ^_^ Also, Lizzie Olsen has a way with hats; she's bringing them back for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah- annie hall...
it's good, but maybe a bit Amish if i remember correctly...
:lol:...

i'm mediterranean...i can't pull that sh*t off...^_^

i got crazy over the winter (or was it last summer?) at a charity sale and bought a vintage cloche!...
in ivory felt!...my guess is it's from the 30's...
it's by Adolpho and has a Lord & Taylor tag as well...

can you tell i watch a lot of old movies?!...
been checking out clara bow to see how she wore her hats...
hahhaa

i expect it to be at least a year before i get the confidence and courage to wear it out of the house...
but i think it's going to work ...
:zorro:

now I understand it
thank you softgrey

from daniela gregis S/S 2013

baycrews

^^
my pleasure runner...

those by daniela gregis are a bit funny to me...
a bucket hat---literally!

thanks for sharing!

and.....
i got two hats...!..:buzz:

though it's really been too hot to wear any sort of hat and will probably be like this for another month or two...
:(

the first is a floppy beret in linen that looks like dark denim, lined in navy/wht polka dot silk...
it looks kind of funny all stuffed in this pic, but it really is very thin fabric, very flat and can be shaped easily...
http://usa.agnesb.com/en/shopping_online/product/accessories/women-1/beret-hygie-2/671

the second hat is black heavy knitted cotton (like something between a t-shirt and a sweatshirt) and is inspired by this film...
so it looks like this...
the digitalfix.com

I feel like I should know, but what's the movie soft grey?

Love both hats; tres magnifique! Both are alluring, as hats should be.

thanks!...
sorry- i thought i had put the name of the film...
i've actually not seen it yet...
i am going through all of Truffault's films because they are showing them all this month on TV...
i suppose that will lead to Godard eventually...
it used to be that i couldn't tell them apart!

i am also accidently learning french...

^^
that looks quite cool...

i recently watched a japanese film called the Burmese Harp...
it was set during the last bit of WW II and i aw a detail on the back of some caps that interested me...

i found these images online...
you cannot see from the front but on the inside detail images you can sort of see that the caps have cord that tie at the back...
i assume this would help to adjust the size and keep the cap firmly in place...
it is also a very beautiful detail...
i would like to find some kind of modern version of this, if it exists...

i also really like how the crown of the caps are shaped...
almost like a traditional western fedora or trilby but with the brim of a cap...
a nice combination, imo
the cap sits very close to the head and creates a narrow silhouette...
the brim is also quite narrow on the caps, which i think make them very delicate and elegant...
i just love them...
:heart:...

cowansauctions.com

Picked up three basic knit hats on major clearance at Target. Nothing fancy, but very comfy and they look good with my standard untucked dress shirt, tie, and cotton trousers look. I got a black, a navy blue, and today I went back and got a brown.

I've always loved hats and although weather here is quite windy, I can't control myself when I see a cute one, I have to try it and bring it home... Any of you have suggestions if I like Grand Hats but don't want to see them blown away...?!

has anyone purchased any hats from rag and bone? how have they held up?

has anyone purchased any hats from rag and bone? how have they held up?

Yep, a few years ago I purchased a wool hat from them. I haven't worn it a ton, but it is definitely made very durably -- I was pleasantly surprised, it was like something you'd buy in an upscale men's store. Every bit as well-made as the Borsalino that I own.

^^^ :clap:...

:bounce:...:bounce:...:bounce:...

kawaiiiiiiii~!!!!

super cute~! and super cool~!

LOVE~!!!
:heart:

thx runner!!!
:flower:

I just came across this brand and their products look decent and affordable as well. Any experiences?

CWF100024-2T.jpg

CSO100010-2T.jpg

CWF100017-2T.jpg

CWF100011-4T.jpg

christys-hats.com

regarding fedoras...
a man's fedora brim generally turns up in the back and i have discovered that there is a practical reason for this...
both from personal experience and from watching films from the 30's-40's when everyone still wore hats every single day...

when you have a trench coat on you generally turn up the collar, or you may have a scarf around your neck...
this interferes with the back brim of the hat and is constantly banging into it and very uncomfortable and awkward to wear...
the hat brim has to be turned up in back to avoid this...

most women's hats have a wide, down turned brim all the way around - which is gorgeous, but quite awkward during the winter months when you have collars and scarves to deal with every day...

have been trying to find a hat that is designed with this thought in mind...
sort of a wider brim in front and a narrower one in back...
or turned up in back and wide in front...
something that is really practical as well as beautiful and cool...

for this reason, i've tried on a lot of men's hats, but i find the crown to be much higher than a woman's hat most of the time...
sort of looks too much like a witch or cowboy rather than a gangster or spy...
the search continues...

i found this hat from Yohji which does have the sort of tapered brim in back...
maybe it's a good sign...
maybe more people will follow and do this because it would be sooooo great!

ssense.com

Yohji Yamamoto Black Slouchy Fedora

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozilya
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->