The 'Hat' Thread

Love them. I have one in Grey, one in Brown, one in Black, and one in Purple. :brows:

Originally posted by luna@Nov 17 2004, 01:52 AM
As You Like it LOVES newsboy caps.
[snapback]435350[/snapback]​

I like 'em and make 'em and wear 'em.

It really depends on your face type, whether or not it looks good on you. I don't have a pretty, feminine, girly face; gender-bending headwear comes pretty natural to me.

I think if you have very delicate features, a newsboy cap might look out of place on you.

There are a lot of sources, however. Heck, Target has a HUGE selection of flat caps, peaked caps, and those tweedy trilbies. I don't know that I'd get a trilby from Target, but the cloth caps should be good buys.

brownclothcapchic.JPG

Brown cloth flat cap. (microfibre suiting)

engineerside.jpg

Peaked cap, engineer style, of pillowcase ticking.

angusyoung.JPG

Peaked cap (same pattern) made up in Pleather, punk-style.

Um, as you can tell, I like hats.

I don't like wearing hats because they make my head itch, but when the weather is cold I sometimes wear one.

Do hat styles depend more on fashion trends, or should they be tailored to individual styles or faces, as has been said about glasses frames?

I tend to gravitate towards knit caps, I don't like the way brimmed caps look on me, and fedoras always seem pretentious to me. Don't even get me started on porkpie hats, top hats, or cat-in-the-hat "deadhead" hats.

What do you all think about hats for men?

I've never liked mens hats much, I'm also not a huge fan of hats generally...
This looks alright though. :ninja:
star.jpg

i think you have to do what works best for you...it is very much like choosing a frame...because it frames your face... ^_^ B)

Great topic, because I struggle with this too.

I can't wear knit caps because the make my head look small. Somebody once suggested something thicker, but then I get really hot. I tried on a cashmere one the other day, but I wanted black.

My other issue is hats worn indoors. I actually really like the way I look in a tweed newboy I have and an awesome brown fedora. I just feel wierd wearing it all day at work. It's one of the few old rules that I can't get past that a man takes off his hat indoors. Thoughts?

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Dec 8 2004, 08:19 PM
I've never liked mens hats much, I'm also not a huge fan of hats generally...
This looks alright though. :ninja:
star.jpg

[snapback]457517[/snapback]​

Well it looks good on Bogie, that's true. :flower:

Originally posted by purechris@Dec 9 2004, 08:11 AM

My other issue is hats worn indoors. I actually really like the way I look in a tweed newboy I have and an awesome brown fedora. I just feel wierd wearing it all day at work. It's one of the few old rules that I can't get past that a man takes off his hat indoors. Thoughts?
[snapback]458125[/snapback]​

I see men wearing hats indoors all the time, and I share your distaste for it. To me it's like wearing sunglasses indoors or at night. Too cool for school.

I have a lot of hangups about hats and I don't know why. I am told I used to like to wear my grandfather's hats when I was young. He used to wear Homburgs. I wonder what happened.

Dunno. Top hats really suit me. But maybe they're not such a sensible choice... I also have a Soviet Submarine Captain's hat - it looks naff but is muchely warm.

So I vote for a combo of the two - go for the right shape but at the same time something like a fedora is a bit pretentious unless you're going for an over the top look.

I love hats, and I wear them a lot. I don't see any problem with wearing them indoors, unless it's a formal occasion or something.

Whenever my hair looks crappy in the morning and I don't have time to mess with it, I choose a hat and I'm off to school. I have a few newsboy and biker type hats (not sure what to call them), a couple bucket hats (which I'm no longer very fond of), a few "baseball" caps (which I never wear at all), and a black cashmere knit hat (which I wish was thicker; I have the same problem as Chris if I'm wearing a chunky sweater or jacket or something).

Alex, can you find/link/post a pic of a biker type hat?

Funeral hats

Your assistance is required -

I have 23 days to acquire (source, purchase and receive) 3-4 superb head adornments for a collab shoot.

I am in need of hats but not any old plain ones. In fact I fear it misleading referring to what I need as 'hats'. I am in need of head accessories such as the quaint netty black types worn at funerals - with face covered, also like the idea of feather adorned ones. I have images of hats daintly perched on elegant head and also chunkier furry coyote trooper type ones.

keywords: dainty, delicate, net, feather, furry

Where can I find these???? i don't even know where to start let alone get on eBay!

Help in the form of shop referal, weblinks and loads of pictures!!

Last edited by a moderator:
SJPdeux said:

Where can I find these???? i don't even know where to start let alone get on eBay!

Hi SJPdeux, You might want to take the tub to Sloane Square..walk right when you get out of the tub (there's just one exit) and around the corner you'll find an amazing boutique..it's little nick nacks, hats, jewellery, silk flowers etc is constantly featured in Br Vogue..but ofcouse the name escapes me..

It's situated right next to a Emma Hope (?) shoe boutique and an amazing Ribbon store (french name..which escapes me as well)

:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
is this the kind of thing you are talking about?...

i would think that thrift stores would be your best bet... :wink: :flower:

softgrey said:
is this the kind of thing you are talking about?...

i would think that thrift stores would be your best bet... :wink: :flower:
Yeah! Just like that! :clapseagerly:

Hanne said:
Hi SJPdeux, You might want to take the tub to Sloane Square..walk right when you get out of the tub (there's just one exit) and around the corner you'll find an amazing boutique..it's little nick nacks, hats, jewellery, silk flowers etc is constantly featured in Br Vogue..but ofcouse the name escapes me..

It's situated right next to a Emma Hope (?) shoe boutique and an amazing Ribbon store (french name..which escapes me as well)

:flower:
You diamond :smile: Travelcard at the ready!

dirty words to keep in mind

I forgot to mention budgetary constraints :gulps

p.s what are the best charity shops in London (thrift stores) ?

p.p.s do you think that question (^) is best answered by starting a topical thread of its own??

Cheersies. You guys are brill!

x

have you done a search in the favourites section...?
there's a bunch already...try looking there...:flower:

SJPdeux said:
Your assistance is required -

I have 23 days to acquire (source, purchase and receive) 3-4 superb head adornments for a collab shoot.

I am in need of hats but not any old plain ones. In fact I fear it misleading referring to what I need as 'hats'. I am in need of head accessories such as the quaint netty black types worn at funerals - with face covered, also like the idea of feather adorned ones. I have images of hats daintly perched on elegant head and also chunkier furry coyote trooper type ones.

It would really be fun to make your own! :woot:

It shouldn't be that complicated if you gather the materials, but if you're not up for that, i'd suggest some themed stores that perhaps may carry the meshy face veils, i quite like them actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"