The Hobbit

Really sad to hear that Rob Kazinsky is leaving the film. Lucky they hadn't got into filming much with him, but sad all the same. Whatever the 'personal reasons', I think he would have been a real asset to the films.

I think it's been confirmed that Saoirse will play an elf. She fits the build, so I bet it's true.

The news was just released that Ian Holm would be returning as old Bilbo, so that's exciting. A lot of the old comers are returning.

I wish Viggo Mortensen was returning, but I guess that wouldn't work.

I have to say I'm a little apprehensive about how this'll turn out.

Tolkien's Middle Earth books are some of my absolute favorites, and Peter Jackson was able to capture that world near flawlessly in the Lord of the Rings-trilogy.

The Hobbit as a book, however, is a whole other ball game compared to the Lord of the Rings-trilogy, and my fear is the screenwriters will be tempted to stray too far from it for "cinematic purposes", simply because The Hobbit isn't movie material in the same way Lord of the Rings is. My LotR movie experience was so incredible and special I don't want it ruined by a cash hog "sequel". I'm particularly afraid they will throw in some revolting romance side story (one of the many things the book doesn't have compared to Lord of the Rings) - because that's what Hollywood does. That it's a two-parter doesn't exactly tickle me either.

But at least Peter Jackson is directing; that gives me hope that it will be at least visually and atmospherically accurate and satisfactory. I know Del Toro was attached to the film for a long time, but personally I don't think he would've been able to carry it, and am not sorry to see him go.

That said, it could turn out fine. But excuse me if I won't be the first in line to see it.

The casting looks good, though. Persbrandt makes me especially happy. :wub:

^If anyone else but Jackson was directing I´d have the same fears. But he´s been trying to make this film happen for such a long time I doubt it would be anything less than amazing. I have complete faith that it will be as good -if not better given the new technology- than Lord :smile:

^ That Jackson is directing is definitely encouraging. I know a lot of people were buzzing about Del Toro (and hadn't Jackson himself previously actually handpicked him for the film or something?), but Jackson nailed Lord of the Rings in terms of the look and feel of the books (and the story, too, especially with Fellowship of the Ring), while I doubt Del Toro would've been able to be true enough to Jackson's style - no (self-respecting) director wants to mimic the style of another, and I'm pretty sure the result therefore would've been a disappointment by comparison.

It's the story that worries me the most. Considering Hollywood's reputation for ruining good concepts, the mind reels in a number of unpleasant directions just thinking of this.

^I think Jackson will do it justice.
I personally found The Hobbit kind of boring (this was back in 10th grade), but I may give it another go now that I'm older.

But from what I can remember, it's a book that will play very well on-screen without a lot unnecessary tweaking.

I personally found The Hobbit kind of boring (this was back in 10th grade), but I may give it another go now that I'm older.

Well, the truth is it just is more "boring" than the Lord of the Rings books. That isn't to say it's bad, but it's very different in a lot of respects. Perhaps most importantly The Hobbit lacks the sort of "grand adventure" of the Lord of the Rings, being more a humble precursor to larger events and therefore much less fateful in terms of both story and atmosphere. Plus, unlike Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit is pretty much completely without romance (as far as I recall anyway - it's a couple of years since I last read it), which I fear Hollywood will not be able to come to terms with without alterations (that don't belong).

What I'm trying to say is, The Hobbit as it is, isn't really movie material, but at the same time I don't want them to change it up either. Basically I guess I wish they wouldn't make it. Some things just aren't meant to be.

As books, though, The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings are pretty brilliant as a package when you think about it. Although LotR is the one you can get more easily into (well, once you get past the first 80 pages of Bilbo's birthday party), The Hobbit brilliantly sets it up with a sort of vivacious but expectant adventure. It's regrettably underrated.

I have similar fears. It shouldn't be 2 movies, LOTR was right at 3, and this should only be 1. And even though Peter Jackson did a brilliant job with LOTR, he has screwed up other movies, and I'm not fully confident he knows why what he did worked when it worked.

I have similar fears. It shouldn't be 2 movies, LOTR was right at 3, and this should only be 1. And even though Peter Jackson did a brilliant job with LOTR, he has screwed up other movies, and I'm not fully confident he knows why what he did worked when it worked.

Precisely. If anyone should do it, it should be him, but that doesn't mean it should actually get made.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is released December 14 2012 and The Hobbit: There and Back Again released December 13 2013.
Luke Evans is signed on for Bard the Bowman, which I'm thrilled about for personal reasons! And Benedict Cumberbatch the Necromancer and Smaug.

New update from Peter Jackson's facebook.
Yikes! I can finally get back to some postings! We've finished our first block of shooting and moved straight into location scouting. More on that soon... But today, I'm thrilled to announce two new cast members who will be joining us for our second block of shooting.

Evangeline Lilly will be playing a new character—the Woodland Elf, Tauriel. Her name means 'daughter of Mirkwood' and, beyond that, we must leave you guessing! (No, there is no romantic connection to Legolas.) What is not a secret is how talented and compelling an actress Evangeline is; we are thrilled and excited she will be the one to bring our first true Sylvan Elf to life.

I'm also highly excited that Barry Humphries will be portraying the Goblin King, in much the way Andy Serkis created Gollum. Barry is perhaps best known for his business and social connections as the long-time manager of Dame Edna Everage. He has also been an ardent supporter of the rather misunderstood and unfairly maligned Australian politician, Sir Les Patterson. However, in his spare time, Barry is also a fine actor, and we're looking forward to seeing him invest the Goblin King with the delicate sensitivity and emotional depth this character deserves.

Evangeline and Barry, along with Welsh actor Luke Evans as Bard and Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug, just about rounds out the major casting. I cannot wait to get stuck into these new scenes!

More soon, including a flurry of answers to your questions. Sorry for the delay!

Cheers,
Peter J

Super excited to see Evangeline in the Hobbit!!

I'm so glad Ian McKellen is playing Gandalf again! if it'd been another actor it would have ruined the movie for me!

I think had it not been Peter Jackson doing the film, they may have had trouble bringing back the people they have. But they all have such an incredible relationship that I think the LOTR cast would all do anything for Peter. Andy Serkis for instance is not only on Gollum duty but he's second unit director too. I'm looking forward to the Empire coverage, hoping to see a little bit of the dwarves rather than that little blurry bit on the EW pics. I'm hoping they haven't uglied them too much, Richard Armitage & Aidan Turner are far too attractive to disguise completely!

First exclusive look at the Dwarves in The Hobbit. They look like such a great bunch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
munchow
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->