The Hobbit

I love the sense of humour in the video but here's a proper look at Ori, Dori & Nori, for real.

Facebook

Visually, this looks pretty promising so far, but I have to say I cringe at the thought of Evangeline Lilly as anyone in the film, most of all an Elf. North American actors, even with their best and sincerest efforts, tend to struggle with foreign accents, and while Evangeline has a beauty unique to her, I can't see her as an Elf, personally. Adding insult to injury, Tauriel isn't even a character from the book, all but confirming my fears and suspicions that the filmmakers are in fact intending to bring in a romance which has nothing to do with the book for "cinematic purposes". Call me a Tolkien puritan, but I can't tell you how that makes me gag. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

I'm not sure where they're going to introduce the romance with Evangeline's character though, they've said absolutely that it won't be with Legolas. Tbh I'm no Tolkein fan, I'm not fussed if it isn't 100% with the books, so long as the films are entertaining. I think it's a wonderful cast and I'm pleased that it's Pete doing it because I think one of the most important things is to tie the world in LOTR to the world of The Hobbit.

^ I'm absolutely convinced of it, though. Character-wise, I can't see Tauriel, an (obviously) beautiful Elf-maiden, serving any other purpose in a story in which the relevance of the female presence was originally noticeably minimal. Even if a romance with Legolas is out of the calculations (thank God for that, at least - I can't see that working out at all), I'm sure they will have no trouble creating another character to take his place as a suitor. :P

In any case, that a completely new and disconnected character has been created specifically for the film tells me the filmmakers are intentionally and knowingly ignoring that The Hobbit, unlike The Lord of the Rings, is simply not movie material. Although money is always what movies are made for, it makes me sad to think that the special experience that the Lord of the Rings movies were for me could get thoroughly ruined by a greedy industry. (Because although I could always just not go see it, as a fan of Tolkien and Peter Jackson's interpretation of his world, how likely am I to really be able to resist it? :lol:)

The dwarves are looking pretty good, overall, including the mandatory "hot" ones. Though some of the beard shapes are kinda silly if you think about how that's supposed to work in 'reality'. But then that could also just be how they're described in the book; I don't recall at all, so as I'm laughing at some of these beards I could just as well be laughing at Tolkien! :lol:

So so soooooo excited to have this movie soon on screens... well in 3 or 4 years apparently lol

Only until December next year for the the first one, it's not too bad. They've already completed 50 of the 250 days filming!

This is by far my fav video blog. Lots of the dwarves, who seem like a total gem of a gang. Cate Blanchett looks incredible and I love the cameo at the end!

Last edited by a moderator:
Never thought the day would come, but it has come anyway; Kili could get it any time, any day, everywhere.
Aidan was probably better off as an elf or human or something but I ain't complaining.

Are they filming the two movies in one block or will they come back for another?

They deliberately haven't messed with Aidan too much I think, he's not overly dwarf-y, they all have an in joke about him being the 'hot one'.

They're technically filming the two films all in one go but they are splitting it up into blocks. They started shooting in April, though the boys had been down for training prior to that. They went on a break a month ago and start filming again on September 5th which, I think, takes then through to Christmas when they have another break before coming back in the New Year etc etc. I think Peter's chosen to do it this way after LOTR was such a slog, but it's also because some of the cast have prior filming commitments and the gap is letting them do that, Martin Freeman has come back to the UK to shoot Sherlock. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->