The Indie Film Thread

Arturo21

Reaction score
This is for all of you that enjoy watching a high quality independent film of deep emotional value or beautiful life stories.

What we can do is recommend good indie films or ask for information about them. Let's discuss! Hope this thread develops, many wonderful indie films out there.

I recommend:

"Goodbye, Stalin!" - The music went along with the store harmoniously. I felt that this film was very realistic, ground-level. A son tries to hide the fact that the Berlin wall fell to his idealistic mother, who has just awoken from a comma and must not receive any shock because of her fragile condition.

I want to see:
"Nobody Knows" - Has anyone seen this film? Good?

www.ifcfilms.com has a description and trailer.

Garden State -- definitely left me with an emotional buzz!

It may seem very main stream now but was very much so an indie film when it began...it just became a very popular indie film:D

Thoughts?

Ohhh, Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys, thats my absolute favorite. Anybody else watched it? *Garden State is a cute movie*

Last Life In The Universe

A Thai movie by Pen-Ek Ratanaruang, influenced by Wong Kar Wai, with Tadanobu Asano (Ichi The Killer, Zatoichi) and cinematography by Christopher Doyle (most Wong Kar Wai films, Hero). A sublime, dreamy fraction of two lives running in parallel until fate brings them together as their worlds fall apart. If you like movies by Wong Kar Wai, Michelangelo Antonioni or Sophia Coppola, you mustn't miss this film.

http://www.palmpictures.com/videos/lastlifeintheuniverse.html

lastlifeintheuniverse.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Arturo21 said:
"Goodbye, Stalin!" - The music went along with the store harmoniously. I felt that this film was very realistic, ground-level. A son tries to hide the fact that the Berlin wall fell to his idealistic mother, who has just awoken from a comma and must not receive any shock because of her fragile condition.

you mean Goodbye, Lenin i suppose :wink: :flower: i've seen it myself and it's very good, very funny as well. :heart:

*edit: i think this thread should be merched with this thread about cult films: http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6734&highlight=cult+films

:wink:

Yes, you're right..I can't believe I had mistaken it with Stalin! :blink:

However...no..shouldn't be moved to cult films, cult films are films with a huge obsessive following. Indie films are simply films that tell a wonderful story.

I agree, Garden State was wonderful.

Site for Goodbye, Lenin!
http://www.sonyclassics.com/goodbye/

Nobody Knows:
http://www.ifcfilms.com/ifcfilms?CAT0=3127&CAT1=6186&SHID=19905&AID=10111&CLR=red&BCLR=

Motorcyle Diaries:
www.motorcyclediariesfilm.com

I also want to see Y Tu Mama Tambien :ninja:

Park's Old Boy was great.

I know people that have seen Nobody Knows, but I have not seen it myself

Is anyone else here very familiar with the asian directors?

Arturo21 said:
Yes, you're right..I can't believe I had mistaken it with Stalin! :blink:

However...no..shouldn't be moved to cult films, cult films are films with a huge obsessive following. Indie films are simply films that tell a wonderful story.

I agree, Garden State was wonderful.

Site for Goodbye, Lenin!
http://www.sonyclassics.com/goodbye/

Nobody Knows:
http://www.ifcfilms.com/ifcfilms?CAT0=3127&CAT1=6186&SHID=19905&AID=10111&CLR=red&BCLR=

Motorcyle Diaries:
www.motorcyclediariesfilm.com

I also want to see Y Tu Mama Tambien :ninja:

Well, I don't know how the situation in the US is but in Denmark Goodbye, Lenin would definetly be considered a cult film. Also , it seems that many are mentioning indie films in the cult film thread. :wink:

MulletProof recommended Y Tu Mama Tambien to me and i loved it. :heart:

Is Y Tu Mama Tambien in spanish. I've wanted to see it for a while but I won't be able to understand it very well if it is.

waukon73 said:
Is Y Tu Mama Tambien in spanish. I've wanted to see it for a while but I won't be able to understand it very well if it is.

subtitles? :wink:

I :heart: :

The Believer :heart: :heart: :heart:
f*cking Amal (a.k.a. Show Me Love) :heart:
But I'm A Cheerleader
Clerks
SLC Punk
Last Night
Cube
Gridlock'd (?)
187 (?)
Welcome to the Dollhouse
The Blair Witch Project :lol: (But seriously, the movie has heavy symbolism)

I think the only indie film ive seen was garden state! but it was good...

like the new avatar fouroclock!

raijin said:
Park's Old Boy was great.

I know people that have seen Nobody Knows, but I have not seen it myself

Is anyone else here very familiar with the asian directors?

I've read about Kore-Eda's other work and I'm looking into different Asian film directors. There's a film he made about what happens after we die that I want to see.

Mettchen - I saw the other thread and that's not the discussion I'm looking for, but thx for contributing :flower: :D

fouroclock said:
I :heart: :
f*cking Amal (a.k.a. Show Me Love) :heart:

Moodysson is a very good director i think. I love his films. Have you seen Lilja 4ever? It's very touching, it left an emptiness inside me i hadn't experienced before. Also, he has just come out with a new movie: Ett hål i mitt hjärta . I don't know what the english title is or will be, but the film i heard is very very brutal ..

Indie Films

The best indie films are: Pumpkin, AKA, Garden State, Velvet Goldmine, Train Spotting, Wilde, Donnie Darko, Thirteen, and all Tarantino films.

Anyone agree??

Swedish, ja? Brutal....Has anyone seen Monster...that was horrifying..

Speaking of Swedish films, I saw Bare Bea on a flight from NY to Copenhagen. Good film, whole bunch of Nordic teens trying to get laid. :ninja: Seriously, though, I enjoyed it. Very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liffffff
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->