The Film Lovers Thread!

P.S. I never really understood The Seventh Seal, too cerebral perhaps?
In all likelihood, you wouldn't fully understand it without some guidance. The Criterion DVD commentary is helpful. I usually flip on the commentary track if I start to get confused with a film.

In all likelihood, you wouldn't fully understand it without some guidance. The Criterion DVD commentary is helpful. I usually flip on the commentary track if I start to get confused with a film.

All Bergman's films are difficult for the first time viewer, I had to watch Persona three times to fully understand the beauty of it!

^I don't think all of them are per se, but I've yet to see The Seventh Seal or Persona, so... :P I totally agree that they're rich enough to warrant rewatching though, they sort of develop with you. You can definitely gnaw on them for a while afterwards! :lol::heart:

There's been a lot of buzz about Javier in Biutiful, is it released yet?
I watched it a couple of weeks ago and all I can say is that the buzz is well-founded, I walked out of the theater with puffy eyes :smile:lol:smile: and convinced he's the best actor of his generation :heart:.. the movie is typically Iñarritú, he likes to trash the lives of his characters, to involve viewers and make them realise they will not be able to ever sort it out either.. so it's a bit dense, which might be on the side of any actor wanting to show his repertoire of emotions but seriously, the empathy one feels for Javier relies elsewhere.. esp. in the moments when he's NOT moving at all.. he's got such 'real' eyes.

I watched Eat, Pray, Love a few days later and it's amazing how he can transform completely, even physically.. of course the camera helps but he emits completely different worlds in each movie.. you'd even feel a bit.. well, disgusted to get closer to his character in Biutiful, whereas the one in EPL.. :brows::P).

oh you must see Manhattan and Annie Hall. both classics. :heart: have you tried downloading them...:innocent:

I wish I could..the connection here is :angry: so I have to rely on my local DVD store. By the way, have you watched Celebrity yet? I found it the other day, but I remembered the critics weren't favorable towards the film, so I bought Open City instead, I adore Magnani.

Wow Biutiful sounds really good, God knows how long I'll have to wait for it..oh Javier is such a charmer in EPL, not a fan of the movie but darn what a beautiful cast:heart:

The Seventh Seal version that I bought wasn't Criterion's, it's from some Hong Kong distributor:doh: Guess I'll have to rewatch it again and again..

Has anyone seen the film Dogtooth? It sounds very confronting but it has gotten a lot of good reviews. Is it worth watching?

Anyone seen Never Let Me Go? I loved it, deals with a "science fiction" sorta theme in a non science fiction type of movie style. Very melancholy and slowed paced. I´d say it´s a cross between The Island and Atonement.
With Keira Knightley, Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield & Charlotte Rampling, all were very good :smile:

Anyone seen Never Let Me Go? I loved it, deals with a "science fiction" sorta theme in a non science fiction type of movie style. Very melancholy and slowed paced. I´d say it´s a cross between The Island and Atonement.
With Keira Knightley, Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield & Charlotte Rampling, all were very good :smile:
Never Let Me Go hasn't been released yet in Australia but when it is I will definitely see it. I loved the book and I the casting seems good. I think the trailer for the film gives too much away though. It the book the 'twist' is slowly revealed.

Just saw PAPILLON featuring Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman.
It was definetly a good reason to stay awake all night and being very tiared next day. It was so good!

i saw it first time the day before yesterday , so beautiful and haunting movie , i loved it. The performances were brilliant , specially Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield(the best for me) ,spoiler: the scene of the shout is amazing.Also the soundtrack fits perfectly to the story, beautiful and moving.
i recommend it everyone , you won't be dissapointed. but keep your tissue boxes near...

Ziegfeld: the movie hasn´t been released in my country either but I downloaded it using torrent in excellent quality:

thepiratebay.org/torrent/6073894/Never_Let_Me_Go[2010]BRRip_XviD-ExtraTorrentRG

i saw it first time the day before yesterday , so beautiful and haunting movie , i loved it. The performances were brilliant , specially Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield(the best for me) ,spoiler: [taken out] .Also the soundtrack fits perfectly to the story, beautiful and moving.
i recommend it everyone , you won't be dissapointed. but keep your tissue boxes near...

That scene was definitely the most moving. The movie overall was well done, though I think it might be a bit confusing if you haven't read the book. I read in other user reviews a few questions about the main characters' actions (or lack of action) that were better explained in the book. Either way, I loved it and also thought Andrew delivered the best performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest last night.

It was wonderful!

White writing: I couldn't really keep track of the time progression during the scene at the end when the party was happening. For some reason I thought it was over the course of 2 days! :lol: It was like Girl, Interrupted but for men. :P

I'm not good at reviewing films. I either like it or I don't.

^OT a bit, but about the whited out part... isn't it weird when that happens? :lol: sometimes I get so thrown off during a movie by little things that I can't figure out. like I'll confuse two similar looking characters, and 'which is which' just WILL NOT compute... I actually have a really difficult time with that. :P During election season SNL episodes, I dread seeing an impersonator next to a real candidate because I can't tell them apart :lol:

^ :rofl: x 10,000!

Recently saw The Hurt Locker. Pretty damn good since I bet it is almost to the tee of how it really is in the Middle East.

Has anyone seen Irreversible? I think the film has some reputation for its r*pe scene, I watched it and yes, it was disturbing (but not shocking :ninja:)

The cast sounds promising... Monica Bellucci & Vincent Cassel...

I watched this 'making of' clip in youtube and it's unbelievable the digital retouches they did for this film. Very well done! Maybe it is because of the darkness and blur of the shots...

Here's the clip if anyone is interested:

So, is it worth seeing it?

^i loved jeremy renner's performance in that film. so gripping

saw 'a king's speech' yesterday. definitely an oscar worthy film. colin firth's performance was outstanding. i read a review, raving firth's authentic stutter in the film, hence why i went to see the movie. the story was well played out and had great emotional development. there were several scenes where colin firth would be seen by himself, talking, and the wall behind him is a collage of all these different colors, it was lovely.

i especially loved geoffrey rush's performance as lionel longue. very good

I saw the original Hairspray with Ricki Lake, Divine and Jerry Stiller.

Muuuuuuuuuch better than the new version. Much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->