The Film Lovers Thread!

Omg, I didn't even know this thread existed:woot:

Me & my bestie are huge, HUUUUUUUGE movie buffs & chances are if there's a movie out there, we've probably seen it:shifty: I don't think I'm exaggerating too much when I say I see more movies than most film critics:lol:

U guys wanna know if the film's worth watching, I'm probably your guy:mohawk:
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I'm so glad there's people here who love movies so much. Fashion and Film make for good bedfellows! haha

0bd2d6bf-1.png

Restless
Gus Van Sant | USA | 2011

The main problem with this film is that the filmmakers apparently don't have a clue how to create a character. Every significant person in this film is just an assembly of quirks and gimmicks that seem designed to make them stand out or invite our interest in them but which fail utterly in doing so. When you strip away these little details the film is astonishingly empty. There are no well developed themes or relationships in this movie. Not one character feels genuine. The plot plays out exactly as you'd imagine and even though the film's designers have knack for eye-catching style at times, it just never works for the film because it always seems so superficial and transparent (for example, the costumes, good as they are, don't feel natural on the characters). This has got to be one of the most disappointing films I've ever seen and one of my least favorite films of last year. The reviews weren't great and audiences seemingly didn't connect, but I still looked forward to it because of how much I sometimes love Gus Van Sant and how much I always love Mia Wasikowska. Well, Mia does her best and is far and away the only person significantly involved in the film who should come out of it without being embarrassed, but even her charm and talent is somewhat stifled by such a forced and pretentious film. The filmmakers seem to think they're making some sort of alternative sad romance for sad teenagers, but this is absolutely pathetic and I'm guessing the "emotion" wont resonate with much of anyone. Oh, and the casting director needs to find another career. With the exception of Mia and Jane Adams in a very small role, no one in this movie can act to save their lives. Henry Hopper (yes, Hopper. Nepotism seems a reasonable answer to the question of how this guy could ever get an acting job) in the lead role is just laughable. A real train-wreck of a performance. What disgrace. Aside from a few isolated moments of grace shining through the mess, this was complete letdown of a film.

image is my own screencap

Can I recommend this AMAZING experimental short film? I think film lovers, lovers of the magic of film, might appreciate it. :heart:

Wes Anderson's new film Moonrise Kingdom is going to be opening the Cannes Film Festival this year.

^ I feel so turned off with The Tree of Life's hype but you're making me want to see it, I hope I can get around it this weekend now with the 50 Movie challenge (which you should join! :P).

Not sure if you've had a chance to see it by now but if you haven't, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's not simply a movie, it's an experience. I've never seen anything like it before. It's ambitious, epic, poetic, touching, beautiful. These types of movies don't come very often. Safe to say I loved it quite a bit. :lol:

On a different note (or maybe not so different), I've recently watched All About Eve for the first time. Obviously I've heard of its iconic status and I have to say it was everything I expected it to be. Completely justifies all the hype and reputation it's accumulated throughout the years. Another highly ambitious picture (albeit in completely different ways) but does it so masterfully and without a faulty note. Bette Davis is a revelation. The whole cast is really.

With that said, I still think I prefer Sunset Blvd that year, both for Picture and Actress awards. It's a shame that they both came out in the same year, because both are two of the best ever, but Sunset Blvd is a bit more edgy. I saw it a while ago though so I'll have to rewatch to see it if holds up.

adorefaith
i saw Carnage a few nights ago.....has anyone else seen it? what did you think?

I saw it recently; perhaps it was due to the mood I was in, but I loved it. I found it hilarious for the most part. I thought Jodie Foster overacted at times, but that played into the fastidiousness of her character (I know mothers like that!). The ending, however, is abrupt. I certainly didn't expect closure, or things to be neatly wrapped up, but it was nevertheless a rather startling resolution. I loved the apartment too - so gorgeous. It was nice to stay in there for an hour and twenty minutes. Great film. What did you think?

My Name Is

I still think I prefer Sunset Blvd that year

Yeah I'd take Sunset Blvd over All about Eve, though both are excellent films. But Sunset Blvd is so utterly complete, from Wilder's dialogue and direction, to Swanson's acting, to the gothic sets, the compelling narrative - really, that film has it all.

i saw Carnage a few nights ago.....has anyone else seen it? what did you think?

I liked it but I felt like it´s meant to be seen in the theater, I think it loses something in the transition to film...

KINGofVERSAILLES, I have to say, I feel the exact opposite with everything you said aboutRestless. And it has to be my favourite Gus Van Sant film with My Private Idaho and Last Days. ^_^

^ But funny, because I can see both sides with Van Sant. I think he makes films in a very atmospheric way much of the time, so that character development is not tantamount to his overall objective. I think Elephant is fantastic for that very reason; it creates atmosphere, it increases tension, and it does all that with regular people, non-professional actors. It's my favourite of his. Personally I feel like My Own Private Idaho is overrated due to the Shakespearean connection, lol. :smile: I didn't like Last Days but I am a Cobain fan and I just didn't like that portrayal of him (or even its attempt). I haven't seen Restless or Paranoid Park but they are on my list. Milk and Good Will Hunting? They seem like mainstream exceptions in his oeuvre in that they ARE character driven - it's all about the character development in those films.

First of all, super excited that I stumbled upon this thread. This may just rival my Star Style obsession. Anyways: Tree of Life.

This is one beautiful, breathtaking and heartbreaking film. Seriously, I was crying within the first five minutes. Chastain's monologue is so beautifully and gracefully (pun intended) delivered, and the music is absolute poignancy. :cry: Northern Star, I think the actor you're talking about is Laramie Eppler, who plays R. L. I, too, found his resemblance to Pitt really striking. One of the most underrated things about this film is how realistically all the actors pull of that family aura. The boys are so believable as brothers, and the same for Chastain and Pitt as husband and wife. It's in large part great acting, but also great casting. They just have the LOOK of a family.

I know a lot of people find Malick polarizing, but I absolutely love his films. They are visual poetry. No one else could have made a film like this and pulled it off so seamlessly. I think it's pretty perfect, except for the Earth sequence which was beautiful but kind of detracting.

Also, briefly, has anyone seen We need to talk about Kevin? I was really anticipating this for so long and was kind of let down. Not enough Ezra Miller, number one, and I felt like it was really disjointed structure-wise. IMO, I think that if I had not read the book, I would've been hella confused. Also, John C. Reilly, who I typically love, is really miscast here. Otherwise, Tilda is a boss as per usual. The cinematography is on point, as is most of the acting. I loved the hippie music also juxtaposed with this horribly dark tale.

adorefaith

I saw it recently; perhaps it was due to the mood I was in, but I loved it. I found it hilarious for the most part. I thought Jodie Foster overacted at times, but that played into the fastidiousness of her character (I know mothers like that!). The ending, however, is abrupt. I certainly didn't expect closure, or things to be neatly wrapped up, but it was nevertheless a rather startling resolution. I loved the apartment too - so gorgeous. It was nice to stay in there for an hour and twenty minutes. Great film. What did you think?

almost exactly what you thought...:lol:

i thought it was great too. i wish i could have seen it on stage....because i can imagine it would have been just as good, if not better. in some parts i was almost crying with laughter....i found it very similar to the way i laugh in woody allen films, actually....it's at once being able to relate and feeling like the whole thing is so absurd, and you can't help but laugh.

i agree with you completely on jodie foster though....she was the only one who didn't quite pull it off for me....she was almost there but in moments she became so hysterical, so self conscious in her acting, that i couldn't buy in....and i thought that was a shame because - as you say - it really did work for the most part with her sort of type A controlling tendencies. i think she may have been miscast.

the rest of them were fantastic....the gentlemen in particular, i thought. what a laugh. :heart:

I agree adorefaith. I think it would've been great to see in stage-play format. And you're right about Jodie Foster; of the four, she was the least convincing. I thought Kate Winslet was good, but her move into drunkenness seemed sudden, although she played it well - the cell phone / blowdryer scene was priceless and I couldn't stop laughing! But in all, I do agree that the gentlemen took the cake in terms of their acting, or should I say cobbler? :lol:

Also, briefly, has anyone seen We need to talk about Kevin? I was really anticipating this for so long and was kind of let down. Not enough Ezra Miller, number one, and I felt like it was really disjointed structure-wise. IMO, I think that if I had not read the book, I would've been hella confused. Also, John C. Reilly, who I typically love, is really miscast here. Otherwise, Tilda is a boss as per usual. The cinematography is on point, as is most of the acting. I loved the hippie music also juxtaposed with this horribly dark tale.

I was let down by it as well. Tilda was outstanding, shame she got robbed of an Oscar nomination. My problem with the movie is that other than Tilda's character, the rest of them were incredibly undeveloped. And even Tilda's character could've been fleshed out a bit more. And Ezra's character, he's such an over the top, one sided caricature that after a while it was just like, ok, I get it, he's the devil. Then John C Reilly's character, completely oblivious, without a shadow of a grey area. Finally, some of the dynamics between the characters seemed... idk, too stagey and unnatural.

I have to add too that I've read a lot of people saying how unlikable Tilda's character was and I just didn't see it. I'd say Nichole Kidman's character in Rabbit Hole was more unlikable.

I was let down by it as well. Tilda was outstanding, shame she got robbed of an Oscar nomination. My problem with the movie is that other than Tilda's character, the rest of them were incredibly undeveloped. And even Tilda's character could've been fleshed out a bit more. And Ezra's character, he's such an over the top, one sided caricature that after a while it was just like, ok, I get it, he's the devil. Then John C Reilly's character, completely oblivious, without a shadow of a grey area. Finally, some of the dynamics between the characters seemed... idk, too stagey and unnatural.

I have to add too that I've read a lot of people saying how unlikable Tilda's character was and I just didn't see it. I'd say Nichole Kidman's character in Rabbit Hole was more unlikable.

I agree. Kevin was so under-developed that even in spite of Miller's great acting, I couldn't believe the ending. It just rang so false and rushed. But about Tilda's character being annoying, in the book, her character IS really annoying. She's ten times more obnoxious in the book than she is in the film. The "fat people annoy me" exposition is longer and crueler, and the same goes for her initial beef against Kevin. She drones on and on about how he basically kept her from traveling the world and living a "fuller" life, even though it was her decision to have him in the first place. But in the movie, Tilda makes her way more sympathetic and likeable. Her portrayal is one of your otherwise average suburban, modern woman with the same prejudices and opinions, but she's shaken by this dreadful thing her son has done. You can see how devastated and emotionally exhausted she is. I found myself wanting to give her a hug several times, as opposed to her novel counterpart who I wanted to smack the crap out of.

^I completely agree with you about Tilda's character on screen. I wanted to give her a hug as well. Maybe those who've complained about her being unlikable were being effected by the character in the book?

I watched Short Cuts today. Been wanting to see it for a while given its almost iconic status. Didn't realize it was over 3 long, lol, but tbh, it didn't feel that long. Epic movie. Robert Altman was a genius. So many characters, stories, etc and to make it all so compelling and efficient is mind boggling. I watched California Suite not too long ago (similar type ensemble film) and only one of the storylines was actually interesting, the others felt like a drag. Not here. Every second of screen time is mesmerizing. Every character is fascinating. And they all come together beautifully. Sublime film. A bit excessive on the nudity, but that's minor. One of the absolute best ensemble works of all times.

I watched Short Cuts today. Been wanting to see it for a while given its almost iconic status. Didn't realize it was over 3 long, lol, but tbh, it didn't feel that long. Epic movie. Robert Altman was a genius. So many characters, stories, etc and to make it all so compelling and efficient is mind boggling. I watched California Suite not too long ago (similar type ensemble film) and only one of the storylines was actually interesting, the others felt like a drag. Not here. Every second of screen time is mesmerizing. Every character is fascinating. And they all come together beautifully. Sublime film. A bit excessive on the nudity, but that's minor. One of the absolute best ensemble works of all times.

I love love Short Cuts - such an amazing cast: Julianne Moore, Lily Tomlin, Robert Downey Jr., Tom Waits (!), etc!!! Plus, I love Raymond Carver's writing, and the film is based on his short stories. Very special indeed. So nice to hear it mentioned. :flower:

I tried to watch The Art of Getting By and it was so pretentious and self-conscious that I had to stop it. I went to read the synopsis on wikipedia, and turns out it played out like your typical coming-of-age drama.

I did finish watching The Devil's Double though. Despite probably being 90 if not 100 percent fabricated, I really enjoyed Cooper's performance, even when he was playing Uday with the teeth and the voice that just makes your skin crawl. Not a particularly memorable film though (except for the graphic violence :shock::sick:). And Ludivine Sagnier felt so out of place and unnecessary.

Here is the full list of films that will be in competition at the Cannes Film Festival :smile:

Rust and Bone (dir. Jacques Audiard)
Holy Motors (dir. Leos Carax)
Cosmopolis (dir. David Cronenberg)
The Paperboy (dir. Lee Daniels)
Killing Them Softly (dir. Andrew Dominik)
Reality (dir. Matteo Garrone)
Love (Amour) (dir. Michael Haneke)
Lawless (dir. John Hillcoat)
In Another Country (Da-Reun Na-Ra-E-Suh) (dir. Sangsoo Hong)
Taste of Money (dir. Sangsoo Im)
Like Someone In Love (dir. Abbas Kiarostami)
The Angels' Share (dir. Ken Loach)
Beyond the Hills (dir. Cristian Mungiu)
Baad el Mawkeaa Apres la Bataille) (dir. Yousry Nasrallah)
Mud (dir. Jeff Nichols)
You Haven't Seen Anything Yet (Vous n'avez encore rien vu) (dir. Alain RESNAIS)
Post Tenebras Lux (dir. Carlos Reygadas)
On the Road (dir. Walter Salles)
Paradies: Liebe (dir. Ulrich Seidl)
The Hunt (Jagten) (dir. Thomas Vinterberg)
Im Nebel (Dans la Brume) (dir. Sergei Loznitsa)

^ sad that The Master didn't end up on the list. :( I presume it's because they want Oscar buzz so that's why they set the October release date.

anyway.. I'm excited for a few of those! can't believe The Paperboy made it though. and MUD is going to be...interesting..considering the two leads.

by the way, the opening and closing films are:

Opening Film:
Moonrise Kingdom, Wes Anderson

Closing Film:
Therese D, Claude Miller

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back