The Lady's Gone, but Don't Look for a Tramp (NY Times)

Nemova said:
I really don't know what these people have against the ladylike look. :innocent:
i hated the ladylike look because everyone spoke of the ladylike look/trend as the end of sexy clothes. a pencil skirt is not the ladylike look. a fur scarf is not the ladylike look. you never saw the people who originally wore low slung gucci and strappy dolce sandals convert and start wearing boxy suits. i think women (and men) want to look sexy at the end of the day even if it's in a refined way and i refused to hear anything to used "women don't want to look sexy" as it's foundation. i also thought it overlooked what those clothes represented to the women of that time. women don't dress like that anymore....and with good reason.

"Ladylike" went over big because it was a look that real people could actually wear in everyday life for everyday purposes. You can wear a blazer to the office. You can wear a pencil skirt to dinner. You can wear a tweed overcoat when it's -20 and falling.

Heavens forbid regular, working women enjoy fashion that is current and appropriate for the functions of daily life.

I think the designers are just pissed off because smartasses like me got the same stuff, only better quality and cheaper from the thrift shops, three years before this became a big trend. :rolleyes:

I really like Cathy Horyn but this article's punch is just in its title. There's nothing supporting the dismissal of "ladylike." No doubt she's privy to way more than I am about the upcoming collections so let's get some substance.

helena said:
nqth - I was just at the CDG shop in London & even the staff there are questioning this collection. They are pretty scaptical as to its merit.

by the way - did you know that the tutu's were all hired in? They weren't part of the collection. On a more positive note however, I saw the lookbook for Comme des Garcons Comme des Garcons line for spring (which now replaces Robe de Chambre) and its absolutely beautiful. Really really amazing. The staff were loving it as well the Junya spring line which is great.

sorry this is off topic......

if it's not asking too much...could you re-post the info in the cdg s/s05 thread...i'm afraid too many people will miss this post and it's quite a good bit of info really...

thanks!!! :wink: :woot:

Actually,Atelier,I think the title is just a mere metaphor of what the article is about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->