The Last Movie You Saw?

Discussion in 'the Entertainment Spot' started by ahhGucci, Aug 9, 2004.

1. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Well-Known Member

I've been on an Old Hollywood binge for a while - the last movie that I saw was Wesley Ruggles' Two Many Husbands with Jean Arthur, Fred MacMurray and Melvyn Douglas. Prior to that, Alfred Hitchcock's Charade and Spellbound.

MissMagAddict and fakeawake like this.
  2. cestmagique

cestmagique you set the scene

Run on Hulu... an absolute masterpiece of terrible cinema! :rofl::rofl:

3. fakeawake

fakeawake Well-Known Member

Sunset Boulevard

what a piece of art. transcendent.

4. fakeawake

fakeawake Well-Known Member

Charade is so good.

dior_couture1245 likes this.
  5. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

Run isn't that bad, it's pure camp, which is to be expected with Sarah Paulson as the villain.

6. kissmesweet

It's honestly terrific! I can't quite believe that I took so long to respond. :flower:

7. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

Watched Larry Clark’s Bully again. It must have been almost a decade since I last viewed it.

With the Daniel Franzese’s revelation that Bijoux Phillips abused and tormented him relentlessly onset like a middle-school bully, the subcontext really adds a new dimension to the story of lifelong bullying that ends in tragic results.

This is a film that would never be possible in these puritan times: Aimless, sexually-precocious and numbingly violent teens on the rampage-- adn murder lead by girls. And all such unlikeable characters too boot. And the way that Larry shoots the sex scenes that linger a tad too long on the still-teenage girls is admittedly uncomfortable for 2001— in 2021, the conservatively-sexual twitter mob would be calling for his head as a predator, in much the same way that they did for Maïmouna Doucouré’s equally poignant Cuties. It’s a world of sugar and spice and everything nice in 2021 where girls are the “empowered and always altruistic, selfless” superheroes fighting for SJ… And the reality that young girls can be irresponsible, selfish and destructive in their youth and ignorance is a topic that can never be discussed let alone shown thee days.

The entire cast is solid. Even as hugely unlikable characters, the cast never falters on their portrayal of such vapid and destructive people. Larry likely cast actors that either lived that lifestyle or were too familiar with that way of life. Talents like Larry's and Maïmouna’s will be-- and are, unfairly shunned and dismissed these days. I just hope that they will find a way to continue creating such poignant and potent films that aren’t afraid to reveal another side of youth.

Monster Hunter.

LOOL…Not enough monsters!!!! If I watch this convinced that it’s not Milla— but it’s really Linda Evangelista, it’s passably such dumb fun and still superior to those virtue-signalling Marvel dreck... Linda Evangelista: Monster Hunter, would have been stellar!

8. cestmagique

Mommie Dearest :shock::rofl:

9. whatdoyoumean

whatdoyoumean New Member

don't come at me, but i've only recently watched mean girls. HAHAHAHAHA

10. kissmesweet

Ernst Lubitsch's The Shop Around the Corner (1940). What a darling film! :wub:

MissMagAddict likes this.
  11. upNorth

upNorth Member

To Catch a Thief and Nomadland. Nomadland was great, I really enjoyed it. Cinemas have recently opened up as well, so it was great to watch it on the big screen. Plenty of further reading about Swankie and Linda May on the web as well, this was a good read: Harper's Magazine

12. cestmagique

13. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

Charade is one of my favorites - but it’s actually not a Hitchcock film! But so Hitchcockian!

14. eugenius

eugenius Well-Known Member

I just got a HBO Max subscription, which, for streaming services, is my offical go-to for film + TV.

I watched the Tina Turner documentary. She really did have the ultimate revenge story, no? She was married to this awful, awful man; then she found the courage to finally dump his a**; then she created her own musical career that blew his out of the water; and she did all this when she was at an age when most women's musical careers start to simmer down. What a life she's lead!

Then I watched "Drop Dead Gorgeous". I haven't seen the movie in close to 20 years, but I still remember all the corny quotes from it. And trust me on this one: that really is what life is like in small-town middle America! I remember when I first watched it, I thought "The girl that plays the sl*tty cheerleader won't ever be seen again." And that character was played by Amy Adams..did I strike out on that prediction or what?

Finally, on Hulu, I TRIED to finally watch "Parasite", but Hulu displayed it with both English + Spanish subtitles. I actually like reading Spanish subtitles, but trying to juggle both languages, and still pay attention to the movie? Fuggedaboutit.

15. kissmesweet

Oh yes, you're right. Typed that wrong accidentally. Great film! :flower: