The Last Movie You Saw?

Discussion in 'the Entertainment Spot' started by ahhGucci, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

When Marnie Was There or should I say When Marnie’s Queerness Was a Red Herring? (2014). It was a rewatch actually.

Btw is there a thread for letterboxd here? Would like to connect with you all over there as I just made an account about two months ago.

2. wickedcrazyness

wickedcrazyness Active Member

Black Beauty (2020)
    The Honor List (2018)

3. Belowen

Belowen ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

4. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Well-Known Member

Babyteeth by Shannon Murphy. A really phenomenal debut with four brilliant performances. :flower:

5. Belowen

Belowen ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Chopper
    After We Collided

6. kissmesweet

Hi there, @Ken Doll Jenner, I'm on Letterboxd. Shall I message you with my username there? :flower:

The last few films that I saw: The Broken Hearts Gallery, Lingua Franca, Wonder Woman 1984, Face Places, and On the Rocks. Hoping to watch a couple more films by female directors before the end of the year. :wub:

7. Belowen

Belowen ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

30 Days of Night
    Wonder Woman

8. eugenius

eugenius Well-Known Member

"Ma Rainey's Black Bottom." AWFUL! Just two hours of people fighting over which version of a song should be released. I had high hopes for this movie, on account of Chadwick Boseman + Viola Davis, but I couldn't bare to finish it.

YohjiAddict likes this.
  9. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

Fatal Attraction.

I was more drawn to the 80s look and feel of NYC of this film than its story, frankly. Interestingly, it is a very 80s story that would never dared be adapted in this day of OTT-PCness. The concept of an extremely volatile, emotionally unstable, mentally unhinged woman whom, on the surface looks so elegantly composed and cool as the villain out to destroy a family man would seem unfathomable in this day where a woman character must always be shown as the empowered, indestructible, noble survivor. Glenn is unmatched in her portrayal of a cool, chilling entity of scorn and still a tender person, that will snap at the slightest turn. She is riveting to watch.

To its credit, the film does make a point that she wasn’t accepting of the subservient wham-bam-thank-you-m’am role (Madame Butterfly LOL), and that he deserved the wrath of her scorn for his part in the infidelity. But sadly, such subtlety in characterizations— for both characters that it’s not always all black and white, would likely go over the general public’s head these days and such a film would be bashed into oblivion. And when they dared to factor in that she was carrying his baby and he still refused to be sympathetic, the Twitter mob would lose it LOL

YohjiAddict likes this.
  10. kissmesweet

The last movie that I saw was Promising Young Woman at the beginning of the year. That is a film that really resonated with me. Director and screenwriter, Emerald Fennell, has some very interesting ideas, and did a pretty good job with the film overall. I was also deeply affected by Carey Mulligan's performance. :flower:

11. eugenius

eugenius Well-Known Member

That bunny-boiling scene wouldn't go over so well these days. Yes, no bunny was harmed in the making of this film, but people would be calling for Glenn Close's cancellation on account of merely inspiring acts of real-life bunny-boiling.

Just watched "My Octopus Teacher" on Netflix. It just reminded me that these beautiful, mysterious creatures look best in the ocean, not in a runway show in Paris..Iris.

Phuel likes this.
  12. kissmesweet

My Octopus Teacher is terrific! :sub:

13. nejtak

nejtak Member

After a long time of telling myself that I cannot do it because I have to be in a certain mood or mental state, I finally watched The Pianist. I cannot remember the last time I have been so overwhelmed with sadness while watching a movie.