The Last Movie You Saw?

Inferno (1980) ... šŸ™„ was really enjoying it until all of the cat and mouse abuse/killing. I should've known with Dario Argento some sh*t like that was coming. What a freak loser.

Poor Things What a funny movie and nice surreal worldbuilding. I loved all the statement shoulders on Emma and the rest of the female cast!

The Talented Mr. Ripley. Great as ever!
Kind of feel like seeing that again!. I watched Great Expectations for the gazillionth time the other day and I feel like.. Gwyneth's allure just gets better as one gets older. It's not just that she's very obviously refined and selling a certain [high] class, and that a lot of the characters in the 90s came with that quality, but there's more to her.. that nude scene with Pulp's Like A Friend, she just makes it look so easy. It's a whole lifestyle and life philosophy of going out of your way to never look like you're trying because it's almost as if trying=undignified?! lol, I don't know what I'm saying but I would LOOOOVE to see her again, at the age she's now, in the big screen, that would be a dream. Also why can't Cuaron make such sultry films like Great Expectations again? šŸ˜­

^^ bc cuarĆ³n is too busy making contrived insufferable navel gazing movies disguised as social commentary like Roma lol

Kind of feel like seeing that again!. I watched Great Expectations for the gazillionth time the other day and I feel like.. Gwyneth's allure just gets better as one gets older. It's not just that she's very obviously refined and selling a certain [high] class, and that a lot of the characters in the 90s came with that quality, but there's more to her.. that nude scene with Pulp's Like A Friend, she just makes it look so easy. It's a whole lifestyle and life philosophy of going out of your way to never look like you're trying because it's almost as if trying=undignified?! lol, I don't know what I'm saying but I would LOOOOVE to see her again, at the age she's now, in the big screen, that would be a dream. Also why can't Cuaron make such sultry films like Great Expectations again? šŸ˜­
100%. She really is A MOVIE STAR. In the truest sense. She is so at ease on camera. Beautiful, elegant, funny, playful, smart and always just a bit sarcastic and knowing. I feel like her and Kirsten Dunst in her prime had the same appeal.

Have you watched "A Perfect Murder?" Another sexy, 90's yuppie thrill. Gwyneth is fabulous, as usual. Also, Viggo Mortensen smolders and Michael Douglas does his thang.

They don't make movie stars like they used to!

^^ bc cuarĆ³n is too busy making contrived insufferable navel gazing movies disguised as social commentary like Roma lol
Oh, totally. Funnily, he considers "Great Expectations" one of his worst movies. It's definitely one of his best. LOL

^^^ Gwynethā€™s ā€œA Perfect Murderā€ and ā€œGreat Expectationsā€ were her at her prime: Pure effortless old Hollywood glam, and still not quite yet the contrivedā€” in your words, pick-meā€” and might I add: Oscar-baiting, modern Hollywood goddess wannabe. She was pure old Hollywood magic in those two films, and wearing Donna Karan, to boot. That magical scene of her in the rain, wearing the Donna Karan dress, is the stuff of visual perfection. Then the one/two punch of Monoā€™s ā€œLife In Monoā€ and those drawings by Francesco Clemente. ...Too bad Ethan Hawke was the leadā€¦ Had Finn been played by Viggo, oh my goodness... He was just physical perfection during that time.

Audition by Takashi Miike . I don't like horror films, especially gory films like this one. But I've heard about this film a lot, Tarantino praised it and something about that image of Eihi Shiina holding a syringe intrigued me. I loved it, what film succeeds in is creating a haunting, creepy atmosphere. The gory parts were disturbing, but I didn't find them hard to watch. It's weird, but I felt a catharsis of sorts at the end.
It's amazing! One of my favourite films. Eihi Shiina is just incredible in it. I'm both surprised and happy Hollywood hasn't done a remake of this film yet.

You have me so curious about that adaptation of Great Expectations now! I never watched it, but I always remember seeing the trailers for it on some random movie I liked on VHS (I can't remember what it was!!) I recently re-watched The Royal Tenenbaums and forgot how ood she was in her niche. Maybe I should finally watch Great Expectations, after all these years.

That magical scene of her in the rain, wearing the Donna Karan dress, is the stuff of visual perfection.
Yes! I looked it up again right after seeing that, it's beautiful.. 90s and early 00s Donna Karan was really something, everything from silhouettes to palette was the right level of intensity and sensuality.

I'm a bit torn with Ethan Hawke because I feel like he does embody what he's supposed to be in that film, he's not supposed to match Gwyneth or to look right for the world he ended up in, he's a simple, next-door guy from a modest background who 'inexplicably' hits the jackpot.. make him visually perfect, unattainable, disarmingly handsome or remotely complex and it would look like it was all meant to be. On the other hand, I do think his decades of acting since then have exposed his limited skills.. there are some scenes (not just in this movie) that seem beyond him and he did this thing that 90s 'heartthrobs' would do, which is, 'when in doubt, look confused, but mostly look cute'.

@lookatme why worst, do you remember? wonder if it has to do with technicalities given the financial freedom and resources he has been able to access ever since, which can make past choices a bit cringey. Weird thing to say anyway.. making a sensual, all green film is far more interesting than a black and white one about class (loved Roma but b&w and the topic is basically screaming for an Oscar).

It's amazing! One of my favourite films. Eihi Shiina is just incredible in it. I'm both surprised and happy Hollywood hasn't done a remake of this film yet.
It just wouldn't work in my opinion. Some things should not be touched. I remember someone saying that Eihi Shiina's lines would sound ridiculous in English. Not to say that the script in itself is ridiculous, but it's like certain works like poems sounding better in their original language.

Watched "Anatomy of a Fall" which I thought was spectacular. If there is any justice in the world this would be a front-runner for Best Picture, Director, Actress, and original screenplay.

I rarely appreciate performances from children in movies, but the actor who played the son did incredibly well, also.

Strange how back in October I thought no way in hell would this actually happen for a foreign movie which at that point had earned approximately $2 at the box office, and it just happened with exactly those Oscar nominations. Justine Triet even got in over Gerwig for best director. Maybe there is justice in the world lol.

Like Father, Like Son (2013) I canā€™t imagine what it must be like to find your family in a situation like that. The movie showed the entire roller coaster ride of emotions and hardships including Ryotaā€™s character arc as a father. I am glad that it ended on a positive note and I am rooting for the two families to live happily ever after together.

Viva (2007). By chance, and I kind of took it as a joke of a film, but it's so bad it is good for how intentional it is trying to be bad. Deeply awkward, and so. Many. Horrible. Wigs. But plenty of fabulous blue eye shadow to balance it out. Caught off guard by the musical interludes though, don't know why there had to be as many as there were.

Anatomy of a Fall. Subtle and just a good movie all around. Sandra HĆ¼ller was fantastic here. She was also brilliant in The Zone of Interest. And that dog Messi deserved his award Palm Dog at Cannes.

rewatched medianeras (2011) for the nth time, the way it talks about architecture and relationships in the digital age is so moving and fresh, one the greatest romantic comedies ever

le cercle rouge (1970), alain delon looks so HOT in this with his little mustache and trenchcoat

Reactions: KoV

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rakuskoangel
    Back
    monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
    <-- Admiral -->