The Last TV Show You Saw?

“The Perfect Couple” on Netflix. Like anything Elin Hilderbrand is involved in, it’s so bad it’s good.

^never read any of her books but the show didn't feel quite as crap as you'd expect from a boilerplate Netflix production (maybe Susanne Bier's involvement elevated it a bit), I admit I went in only for Nicole and the entire 5? 6? hours was worth it for that one scene at the end -
"I was an ES-CORT!"
, delivered as only Nicole could.

• Haha
Reactions: KoV
I have to admit I’ve read 3 of her books. Perfect vacation reads. I didn’t even realize this show had anything to do with her, I chose to watch it because I saw Nicole and wasn’t paying attention during the opening credits when her name would’ve come up, but then as soon as I saw the Nantucket setting and that it was centered on an author, I knew it had to be Elin.

For me it was fun in a ridiculous way and I agree, I do think the resources spent on it (in terms of talent involved) elevated some very Lifetime Network material into a dumb but extremely watchable hit. My biggest gripe is just that the main character and her parents just did not seem like real people. Laughably contrived and so goofy, but I had a good time with it.

^to be quite truthful, I don't know anything about Nantucket but Nicole playing a rich woman adjacent to a murder? Is basically home ground for her, and I'll always watch. Isabelle Adjani was also delightful in the bits she got to do but I do see what you mean about the sainted Amelia and parents though, the character just felt like a trope i.e. the untainted girl next door and wholesome salt of the earth parents.

Maybe a different actress could have made her feel like less of a cliche and more of a person, but despite the protagonistic focus on her it's really Nicole's show, and that's for the best.

and her parents just did not seem like real people.
Why? leave my girl Dendrie alone! 😭 .. I feel like she's so good in those redneck-ish characters, but the script was off, I didn't know this was a book but it makes sense that they'd try to comprehend what I assumed was a richer character in the book, into like 6 minutes of total screen time.

I started watching it and was going to give up because it IS goofy, but when I saw Susanne Bier was the director, I stayed. I thought Dakota stole the show, she's Ray Schleine all grown up. 😅

I just finished Into The Fire: The Lost Daughter.. love a mom's instinct, they always k-n-o-w.

It’s not that I thought the performances were bad, it’s just that…. no one was behaving like a human being!

The main girl’s pregnant best friend/maid of honor dies/is murdered the day of her wedding which is subsequently cancelled and she’s like…. mildly pensive about it and people are basically just like “you good?” and it’s over with. Her parents are like hiding in their room for days on end acting lobotomized. It was just so weird to me. 100% a script issue. Even the way the wedding was going was like… Nicole Kidman’s super famous author is making calls from her $40million dollar estate to figure out the flowers 24hrs before the wedding?

Last edited:
^ girl get your kleenex for part 2 (if you didn't already when Metta told her story, I don't know why that fked me up.. she was just a little girl who wanted to see a barn 💧)

Cathy rose above and beyond the expectations of a parent despite not being able to raise her daughter, for all the 'WeLl yOu GaVe hEr Up fOr aDoPtIoN', she easily wins mother of the year..

"The Perfect Couple" was really bad. Nicole is becoming cringe for me, in general.

It was once cliche after another. RICH WHITE FAMILY WITH POWER AND MONEY IS DYSFUNCTIONAL AND GET AWAY WITH IT. Eye roll. Big whoop. Like what's the point here? Some commentary on SoCIeTy? I'm done with "commentary" movies and tv shows. Let's focus on a really good story with compelling character development, for once.

And the main character was absolutely abysmal. So unlikeable, sulking and brooding and moody. Such a modern, feminist girl boss for sniffing out the dark underbelly of this "PERFECT" family. She's spunky, can see right through it all and will just blurt out accusatory questions in the middle of dinner because she...you know...jUsT cAN't TakE tHe hyPocRiSy aNyMOre...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patda02
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->