The 'Outfit Look-Alikes' Thread

Yes he did and I always heard him speak highly of Mister Beene. I think he even credited him as having taught him everything. Geoffrey Beene seems like he was a great designer. I love that black and white picture of his from the 90s.

I had a look at a collection Alber did at Saint Laurent in the early 2000s and I don't understand why he was let go. I also had a look at another one he did early on at Lanvin and I was really glad to see he didn't change aesthetics throughout the years. He had one style that he kept to and improved upon with time. What a pity he was also fired from that job. His work was beautiful.

I don't understand why fashion houses keep hiring and firing designers. There aren't many great ones who know how to make beautiful clothes. When it works, it's a miracle really. What happened to Lanvin after Alber left was disappointing to say the least.

Last edited:
I’ve always loved Alber’s work, up until AZ Factory tbh
I don’t know what happened but without the sheen of a major Maison he didn’t seem himself. I wonder what he would have done with AZ if he hadn’t passed away? It just never felt like him, and I’m not sure if the first collection was a success and if they were happy with the sales.

I had a look at a collection Alber did at Saint Laurent in the early 2000s and I don't understand why he was let go. I also had a look at another one he did early on at Lanvin and I was really glad to see he didn't change aesthetics throughout the years. He had one style that he kept to and improved upon with time. What a pity he was also fired from that job. His work was beautiful.

I don't understand why fashion houses keep hiring and firing designers. There aren't many great ones who know how to make beautiful clothes. When it works, it's a miracle really. What happened to Lanvin after Alber left was disappointing to say the least.
When Gucci first acquired YSL in 1999, the brand had been in decline for around a decade, so I imagine that his firing was done as part of a brand restructuring. Personally, I find the move shady, especially because it seems like they pushed Alber and Hedi out to put Ford at the helm. Ford's revival was in vain anyway. The French press hated it, Pinault sold off the beauty division and the brand didn't start to turn a profit until Hedi took the helm.

It doesn't help that there was a risk of cannibalisation, due Ford imprinting the same design influences, across both brands. It was Stefano (and later) Hedi really gave Saint Laurent an actual voice within PPR.

Last edited:
When Gucci first acquired YSL in 1999, the brand had been in decline for around a decade, so I imagine that his firing was done as part of a brand restructuring. Personally, I find the move shady, especially because it seems like they pushed Alber and Hedi out to put Ford at the helm. Ford's revival was in vain anyway. The French press hated it, Pinault sold off the beauty division and the brand didn't start to turn a profit until Hedi took the helm.

It doesn't help that there was a risk of cannibalisation, due Ford imprinting the same design influences, across both brands. It was Stefano (and later) Hedi really gave Saint Laurent an actual voice within PPR.
The brand became profitable under Stefano actually.
But yes, the arrival of Tom Ford at YSL was all a shady move. From Bergé/YSL praising him in the press, inviting him to the Couture show, attending Alber’s last collection with him lol.

Alber unfortunately was a collateral damage. Tom wanted Hedi to stay but there was such a shady vibe in the air but also uncertainty that he left.

Alber did one (or two?) collection for Krizia Top. Then went to Lanvin.

In reality, I don’t think it would have been a great idea for them to stay.
Tom had an executive power. So decisions like cutting all the licences and things like that that were necessary (but did hurt the finances of the brand) were done quite fast.

Pinault was stupid selling the beauty to L’Oreal, which is something he did when Stefano took over.

I think that Hedi and Alber would have never exploited their potential at YSL with that overwhelming presence that was Pierre Bergé.

Thank you sharing ! I bet Raf looked at those paintings and thought they'd look great on a t-shirt, much he did with those Sterling Ruby paintings, which he turned into prints for his first Dior collection. It was great to see in Dior and I how he came up with ideas. They showed a wall with pinned sketches and pictures following the name of the concept like cut up ball gowns. It was very clear in terms of thought process.

Raf's got a real reverance for art, maybe even more so than for fashion. Like Helmut Lang, I feel he could leave the industry one day and become an artist.

metallic fringes look like great addition though!
Girl Please.

GrimYellowBobolink-size_restricted.gif

adrafruit

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waltermh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->