The Ralph Lauren Team USA uniforms 'Made in China' scandal

It's unfair that the Chinese are being treated like this, I don't get why it's a big deal that Ralph Lauren Olympic clothing are being made in China? We should appreciate the Chinese for making products that are internationally designed even if it's against their own will to do so. I find it completely disrespectful of the forum members and the media who brought attention to this. USA should worry about winning the olympics and not about the clothing that they wear to win it.

I think there's a future for you at Ralph Lauren--though right about now they may be looking for people who are less tone-deaf than they are.

So some person on Fox News was saying that the uniforms should be burned because the Chinese are competitive and might have poisoned the uniforms, or something along those lines. :huh:

:lol: :lol: Do they also poison the uniforms of other countries as well, I wonder, or just the US?

i wouldn't listen to a thing fox news had to say....their whole MO is about fear mongering to the highest order.

honestly,i think the whole issue isn't so much china as it is their reputation for inhuman working conditions in their factories. but the problem,as robin givhan pointed out is that it doesn't begin and end with chinese factories....it's our governments supporting corporations that send all of our manufacturing work out of the country. and the states are certainly not alone but we are the biggest exporter in the world. so why suddenly because of the olympics are they up in arms about this....what happens during the other 350 days in the year and all these last decades when people have tried to get the government to listen about this issue? where is the call for action then?

^ Probably the obvious answer is that the Olympics are all about patriotism so suddenly an issue that should be under consideration 365 days of the year is in the spotlight. The rest of the time, the corporations can bury it, and the rich get richer, via exploitation, and the poor stay poor. Under this "ra ra let's go US of A" olympic banner, however, the spotlight suddenly shines on an issue that can't be hidden for the moment. But it will be swept under the corporation carpet soon enough. Don't anyone doubt it.

Tbh, I dont really care about where the uniforms are made. Like, wearing Chinese-made uniforms isnt going to make the team lose?

But its America, if in 4 years things are better everyone will forget this and Ralph Lauren will be designing the outfits again.

Tbh, I don't even think people worry about the number of jobs it could have created but its more about how the American ego is being hurt.

So some person on Fox News was saying that the uniforms should be burned because the Chinese are competitive and might have poisoned the uniforms, or something along those lines.

I cant believe that people this stupid actually have an audience in the US.

i wouldn't listen to a thing fox news had to say....their whole MO is about fear mongering to the highest order.

Erm, the person who said that was Bob Beckel. A notorious liberal. He's basically the CNN/MSNBC voice on a conservative channel.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

But its America, if in 4 years things are better everyone will forget this and Ralph Lauren will be designing the outfits again.

Tbh, I don't even think people worry about the number of jobs it could have created but its more about how the American ego is being hurt.

Unfortunately, I think this is probably true. Almost all the people who've I've discussed this topic with weren't upset because it could have created jobs but they were upset because it makes us look bad. Like, really??? I think having more jobs in this country is more important then a bruised ego. Some of them didn't even realize that having the clothes made in the US could have helped the garment industry out a bit, all they seemed to care about was that it wasn't patriotic to make the clothes worn by US athletes in China. Which I mean, I do understand, but still....think about the economic portion of it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the main issue is about patriotism. The olympics are a show of power and China and the US are competitive in all aspects. Its just odd for the athletes to come out wearing 'made in china' for opening ceremony.

IMO the main issue is about patriotism. The olympics are a show of power and China and the US are competitive in all aspects. Its just odd for the athletes to come out wearing 'made in china' for opening ceremony.

It's like after 9/11 and everyone waved little American flags...that were made in China :lol:

that was different, in this instance China is one of the countries America is gonna be competing against

If the Chinese athletes would just carry the made in China American flags, I think I could be totally cool with our made in China uniforms.

Well if the Spaniards are wearing uniforms by a Russian company, why is it a big deal?

I think this whole scandal is ridiculous. I read an excellent article that pretty much sums up my opinion on it all. I was going to post it here but decided not to since it dwells too much into politics and I think that's against TFS rules. But in case anyone wants to read it, here's the link:

Until Congress Funds US Olympic Team, They Should Shut Up About Uniforms

This! Politics aside, its a private organization that relies on sponsorship deals and private donations to operate. Ralph Lauren did not do these uniforms out of the goodness of his heart, it was a symbiotic relationship where he would get promotion and they would get uniforms (kinda failed, but that was still the point). Of course they were going to use his factories that are located offshore. The fact that the factories he uses are offshore is a totally different discussion/issue in my opinion.

The "we should burn them" is just ridiculous to me. You don't agree with something, so you want it destroyed? How does that benefit your point. But hey, its an election year.

I wish they would stop this argument.

Olympic Games and Politics should be separated.
Posted via Mobile Device

^ The Olympics are extremely political, despite how they want to appear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->