The Zara 'Series' Campaign Thread

Zara Series: Serie 87 (December 2021)

Photography: Mark Borthwick
Styling: Marta González Arias & Esther Matilla
Hair: Akki Shirakawa
Makeup: Susie Sobol
Model: Quinn Mora

zara

What Zara is doing is interesting at a time when magazines and campaigns are a bit « locked » in terms of expression.

Zara is as big as a big fashion house but they have that luxury of being 50 fashion houses in one. And so in terms of creativity or at least expression of creativity (because the creativity in this case comes from appropriating the codes of HF), it’s particularly interesting for stylists or photographers.
There’s no full look policies, there’s no « you can’t shoot my brand with brands that aren’t in the same caliber ». The story telling is consistent: Zara is a Fast Fashion that wants to be taken as seriously as a High Fashion I. The fashion circuit.

H&M, through their collaborations have always found a way to be included in the HF conversation. Zara has always been superior for me in terms of quality and presentation (Zara stores at some points looked like Barney’s from the 90’s or Gucci stores) and now that H&M seems to have take a step back, they are coming harder.

Studios collections, collabs with Ader Error as a very edgy proposition, lookbooks styled by the biggest names of the industry.

What is the next step for them? Maybe hire a well known fashion designer as a designer for a special line.

Their Atelier collection is interesting because It’s very rich in an Antonio Marras way but it’s still made either in China or Morocco. This intrusion in HF is quite fascinating.

And I can understand them. They want consumers to make the distinction between what fast fashion means today. 10 years ago, it was Zara, H&M and Top Shop. Today, it’s Fashionova or Shein. And nobody wants to be associated with that. So they have to create something valuable to elevate the perception of their products…

^^^ Frankly, no matter how exclusive/designer/elevated Zara plans to becoming with special collections and even designer collabs, I’m still not interested. Admittedly, the women’s is potentially enticing and I would understand the discerning customer would snatch up some Zara exclusive. But with the men's (which still seems to be branded for boys). that lingering stench of throwaway cheapness is still there.

Now the branding side I’m extremely impressed with. Zara seems to be the only brand/corporation out there that still remembers that an elevated, aspiration, dreammaking and worldbuiding concept executed by experienced talent is the way to sell your cheap fast-fashion rags as pure high fashion elusions. What a simple concept that only Fabien seems to be clued in on to these days.

^^^ Frankly, no matter how exclusive/designer/elevated Zara plans to becoming with special collections and even designer collabs, I’m still not interested. Admittedly, the women’s is potentially enticing and I would understand the discerning customer would snatch up some Zara exclusive. But with the men's (which still seems to be branded for boys). that lingering stench of throwaway cheapness is still there.

Now the branding side I’m extremely impressed with. Zara seems to be the only brand/corporation out there that still remembers that an elevated, aspiration, dreammaking and worldbuiding concept executed by experienced talent is the way to sell your cheap fast-fashion rags as pure high fashion elusions. What a simple concept that only Fabien seems to be clued in on to these days.
I think this has to do with the fact that Marta Ortega is very much known and active in the fashion circle. I don’t think her father was that much involved in the Fashion industry with a Capital F. She is friend with designers, photographers (I think she was a great friend of Peter L. ) and in a way, she understand the codes of HF as both a consumer and an insider.
I feel like she wants Zara to reflect her. She is the woman who buys Couture and RTW, she mixes Hermès and Zara. She has that lifestyle.
I don’t know if she would have mixed Zara with HF if she wasn’t who she is but she has somehow raised the bar for Zara to be able to almost sit next to the brands she might wear daily.

You would've thought Christmas had come early when I saw this! Yes for Kate, yes for David Sims and hell yes for Emmanuelle Alt (who had a part in designing the collection). It's giving me flashbacks to Alt's story from Vogue Paris May 2007 with Daria Werbowy by Terry Richardson. :heart:

Zara has to publish a magazine, I´m sure it´ll fly from shelves...

WOW
Rebecca, Anja and Lindsey! I’m gobsmacked of how good everything looks.
Anja is giving YSL and Lindsey reminds me of those editorials for Vogue Italia under Franca.
LOVE IT.

ZARA BEAUTY 'SURREAL SUMMER'
Photography:
Elizaveta Porodina
Styling: Vitoria Cerciello
Hair: Pierre Saint Sever
Make-up: Diane Kendal
Models: Michelle Laff & Ajok Madel

zara.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads