Thick Hair

Is thinning out hair the same as getting a lot of layers?

they are different things but getting layers can potentially make your hair thinner as it takes alot of weight out of the hair, of course it all depends upon the style.

a good hairdresser will use layers and point into the hair to make it thinner than use thinning scissors, shape and style can do alot than just grabbing straight for thinning scissors ( i must admit i own a pair but never use them )

I had weight taken out of my thick hair and its never seemed the same since. Embrace thick hair!

I think I've gotten charged more too. One thing that annoys me is not being to have short hair the way I want it. I've gotten better with having shorter hair and not having it get pouffy and big but I can't figure out how I can have it in a bob without having it look like the hair version of "mom jeans".

:doh: that's so true!!! i want a bob, but it'll probably look like a mushroom or something.

^lol, actually, I had my hair cut into a bob before (it still is, sort of, just a little grown out), and I have lots of thick hair. Lots of people said I look cute in it. My roommate says the short hair looks best on me. Random strangers complimented me more when I rocked the bob. But my sister called me a mushroom head. Not sure if she meant that as a bad thing, but I actually kind of like calling it a mushroom head.

Sure! Here are some. For reference, I have a round face.

mousbob1.jpg

mousbob2.jpg

mousbob3.jpg

mousbob4.jpg

mousbob5.jpg

The highlights weren't that obvious in real life, I swear. Anyway, I dyed over it.

mousbob6.jpg

Last picture is of me now. It's really grown out!

Can you tell I'm shy? lol.

Hope that inspired you. :wink: I love seeing bob hair styles on other people. It's my favorite hair style!

^it worked out really nicely! and not mushroom-y at all either :P i think i'll give it a shot, a little shorter though. thanks!

^Yay! Post pictures if you do. :D I just realized pretty much all the pictures of my hair except the first and maybe the second show my hair all grown out. Oh well, lol.

i will have to wait for my hair to grow out, it's quite short now. but i will post pictures if it turns out :smile:

Ugh my hair is a big pile of poofy mess, I don't know what to do if I want to keep it longer.

lol, mousequerader, I love how you disguised your face! So cute.

I have really thick hair as well. I'm not complaing though, it's better than having thin hair imo.

I love how people keep referring to thick hair gone wrong as mum-jeans... captures my experience so well :lol:

What kind of brushes do you use for styling? I have medium-length hair that naturally flips outwards in the dorkiest way, and I'd like to have it inwards like mousquerader's (adorable hairstyle, girl!). Most brushes just don't seem to have long enough spikes or something to go through my hair all the way. Lately I've started to just pull it straight with my fingers when blow-drying :huh: You can imagine how effective that is...

i have really thick (diameter wise) and lush (density wise) hair which is like wavy-ish straight.
the hair dresser in hong kong always tell me to chemically straigten my hair (straigt perm).
i just absolutely hate the idea of me with straight hair.
just thick hair look good with waves that starts from ears and kinda get curly near the end??

I have extremely thick hair. I'd really like to straighten it but it would take FOREVER to straighten my entire head. So it's really annoying. Don't get me wrong, I like the thickness of my hair; people with thin hair are constantly reminding me I'm lucky. But it gets in the way every now and then.

How is hair typically thinned out?

^ I'm not sure if every stylist does it the same way but mine has special scissors designed especially for thinning. It's like scissors with a comb on one side, kind of hard to explain. Sorry, that doesn't really explain much. It actually really does make the hair thinner though.

for an asian i have really weird features about me like my hair!
i haven't used a hair dyer since primary school and my hair would be more thicker if i did blowdry and i haven't used a brush in awhile....but all i do is use organic shampoo and conditioner and i just air dry it which leaves my hair nice smelling and great shine cause i have waveyish but thick hair and styling my hair would be a hairdressers nightmare

yes there is there one time occasion where i have to straighten my hair which leaves my hair thicker! and to solve this i found out that my non-washed hair(meaning i cleaned my hair on mon but not tues) which goes a bit softer is that i add anti-freeze and straighten with my ghd and i do my hair in layers.

so that life for my thick hair...

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever gotten their hair thinned out? How did it feel afterwards? I've heard thinning your hair tends to damage it.

^ Quite late with the answer but, my expierence with thinning out hair: it doesn't necessarily damage it, but it doesn't really help either. At least not, if you are sick of your thick hair and want it to be less heavy and ...well, thinner. Because the only result you get, is that you'll have quite a lot of layers afterwards which only makes your hair appear more voluminous and puffy. But, as I said: this is my expierence.

Naturally I have thick hair AND curls. I have it thinned out. The only problem with thinning is that it loses it's shape rather quickly. You know, the hairstyle... and the split ends.... but maybe that's because I use a flat iron almost on a daily basis.:unsure: I know it's bad but I don't like curls either. :yuk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukebears
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->