Tie For A Guy

Discussion in 'More Accessories' started by chocsta, Mar 14, 2004.

1. chocsta

chocsta New Member

Hi all! I have been reading the posts at "the Fashion Spot" for some time now, and I find that a lot of people here have a great sense of style! My boyfriend's birthday is approaching, and he just got elected onto our university's Governing Council as a student representative, so I want to get him a classy, presentable tie as a birthday gift. I know that Gucci has some pretty nice ties, cause I've gotten one before for my high school teacher, but what styles and other brands would everyone recommend for a 22-year-old guy who's not really that into fashion?

I could totally do with your help!!

2. Luna

Luna offline.

I noticed Burberry had a lot of nice ties.

and not just the regular old Nova print.

3. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

Hugo Boss or Paul smith have great college-ey looks...

Hermes for the traditional look...(not for most)

Armani for some cool...

Dior Homme - you can have any colour you like as long as it's black...

Dolce é Gabbana if he likes his patterns...

Also worth a mention Canali, Zileri, Zegna, Burberry Prorsum, Yves SaintLaurent, Gucci, Lacroix Homme, Givenchy, Lanvin...

Personally my favourite tie is cream with with black and silver diagonal stripes and I can't resist raw, woven black silk.

4. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

C'est bon, non?

5. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

i like narrow ties for men...but he may need something more conservative...either way...

my preferences are -armani, prada, ysl, agnes b. :flower:

6. chocsta

chocsta New Member

Wow... thanks all!! I will keep in mind all these brands, and I like the idea of Hugo Boss, Prada and Armani, I think they would be great choices :)

PrinceOfCats: That's a beautiful tie!! He would probably need something a bit more conservative, but I would totally wear it and maybe it could be an add on for later, but right now he needs some staples that he can wear all the time! :)

Thank you for the input!! :king:

7. pradaromance

pradaromance New Member

Probably YSL, Gucci...i liked the Prada print ties from Fall 2003...but they werent for most men.

I wonder if prada has a tie-dye tie...hmmm, that would be cool :innocent:

8. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

i prefer a slim tie, like dior homme.

9. David Dior

David Dior New Member

10. Sonnytsunami

Sonnytsunami New Member

i am anything but a conventional girl but ironically i chose a conventional Loewe homme tie for me last time i bought one. Very modern ties can look a bit tacky sometimes... you can never go wrong with a quality classic tie, me thinks!:)

Sonny xxx

11. unplugged66

unplugged66 New Member

I myself have been contemplating for awhile whether or not to purchase a tie. However I'm not sure it is my style. I'm more of a jeans with a vintage tee, or hoddie, and alot of scarves wearing type guy lol. So I'm not sure whether purchasing a tie for me would be a good decision. Can ties be worn casually? Or is it something that has to be used with a suit or something?

Lol sorry for asking questions during your thread! Anyways I saw these beatiful ties at Louis which I loved. The print wise nice and simple. I find simplicity sometimes is the best approach, rather than having a tie with too much color and tacky patterns. The Louis ties retail for $210 CDN! Try Holt as well they have a wide selection.

12. Godot

Godot New Member

I'd suggest looking for a tie that would go with his other clothing. You can buy a great Hermes tie but if he doesn't have anything to go with it it's just a $200 silk rag.
    Also and I can't stress this enough, simple is better. There may be exceptions to this but as a guiding rule-simple is better. :D