Tiffany & Co. F/W 2017.18 by Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

sixtdaily

Reaction score
With Zoë Kravitz, Janelle Monáe, St. Vincent, David Hallberg, Elle Fanning and Cameron Russell

wwd, pitchfork, wmagazine, out

Tiffany & Co. is undergoing a revamp. As has been well documented, chief artistic officer Reed Krakoff has been tasked with helping to get the American jeweler — which has struggled to lure young consumers — back on the growth track. Today, Krakoff and the Tiffany team will unveil a glimpse of his vision for the brand with the company’s fall 2017 advertising campaign. Or as a spokesperson described it, “Krakoff’s first creative expression for the house.†His first homeware and accessories designs for Tiffany are due to be unveiled this fall, while his first jewelry collections are not expected until 2018.

Talent featured in the campaign includes Zoë Kravitz, Janelle Monáe, St. Vincent, David Hallberg, Elle Fanning and Cameron Russell — all photographed by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin.

Imagery is expected to run in the September issues of select print publications, as well as on Tiffany’s web site and social media channels.

Said Krakoff in a statement: The “‘There’s Only One’ [campaign] is a celebration of self-expression and embodies the spirit of Tiffany. The narrative is told through six individuals who are empowered, intelligent and unafraid to express themselves, each with their own unique talent and personal style.â€

Krakoff told WWD in March of his marketing objectives for the firm: “I don’t think people realize it — we are making real things with a wholehearted, artisanal, hand-wrought quality. In a funny way, I don’t think it’s informing the work as much as it could and I don’t think the consumer is as aware of it in the way they could [be].

“It’s not about the old story of quality and craftsmanship. It’s really craftsmanship and artisanship to bring about modern design. Quality really has to be fused with a modern eye, which is what Tiffany really stood for, for years.â€

The choice of Lamsweerde and Matadin is an edgier departure for Tiffany, which has long used softer photographs for its campaigns.

A source told WWD earlier this summer that many of the house’s standby photographers had become available for hire by other jewelry houses after Tiffany ended its relationship with them and therefore their noncompete contracts. Tiffany declined to comment.

wwd

I'd be more interested if it was just David. Not remotely intrigued or interested in the rest.. a Ted talk, forgettable music, regular Hollywood careers? could be anyone really... I think jewelry campaigns are still better with some air of mystery or long careers with proved talent over exposure, or extraordinarily-looking models.. but I get they're trying to target every demographic while being instagram-friendly all at once.

^Unfortunately catering only to theatre people isn't a sound business plan. David is by far the most talented and prestigious of the group but he's also the least famous. Doesn't say much for society today.

Zoe looks amazing! They should have made her alone the face.

Tiffany is not a cool brand. This is the wrong strategy for them. If they want better sales they should have just jumped on the bandwagon and hired Gigi. At least Gigi would have nailed this.

Zoe Kravitz for me isn't Tiffany, she's the only one who sticks out here. The others at least exude some form of class, she looks like she's about to fall to sleep.

I actually think Zoe is one of the few, if not the only appropriate one for this campaign. The way she wears the jewelry feels very organic because she usually looks like this. But it's true that it looks like she's falling asleep.

On another note, why are all the images so zoomed in? I get this sense of uneasiness when I look at them and I cannot do it for longer than two seconds.

I really love Zoe's shot actually. I'm convinced Tiffany is cool. Elle's shots is very on par with the Tiffany brand.

Tiffany is supposed to embody class, sophistication and luxury, not cool.
None of the people in this ad will get young people to walk into a Tiffany store. If they do what exactly are they supposed to buy? A key chain? Perfume?
I will say these ads are better than the laughable ones with Gaga, who is about as luxurious as toothpaste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sruggirello
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->