Topshop to show at London Fashion Week

Fashion Puss

Reaction score
Taken from the Sunday Times (www.timesonline.co.uk)

High street fashion takes to catwalks
Maurice Chittenden

THEY were once looked down upon as the tawdry poor relations of the fashion industry. Now, Britain’s high-street chains have finally breached the world of haute couture.

The supermodel Erin Wasson, the Texan face of Maybelline cosmetics, is to be transformed into the torso of Topshop when she sashays down the catwalk at London Fashion Week next month. The event will be the first held by a mass-market clothing chain in one of the world’s fashion capitals.

Previously, chain stores have been accused of copying catwalk fashions and rushing them into their stores at cut prices. Tesco has even used the supermodel Naomi Campbell in television advertising.

The move by Topshop is the first time a high-street retailer has come at fashion from the opposite direction to compete with the likes of Julien Macdonald, Paul Smith and John Rocha.

Claudia Croft, fashion editor of The Sunday Times, said: “A lot of people think the high street is just about ripping off designers, but Topshop does have a good design team and generates its own trends.

“The crocheted shrugs we have seen people wearing over the summer didn’t come from the catwalk or from being worn by Kate Moss. It was a trend generated by the high street.”

Topshop’s entry into the designer elite, which has appalled some fashion purists, comes courtesy of its Unique brand, which is considered cutting edge enough to be sold in New York boutiques. It sells at the more expensive British branches of Topshop for £50-£200.

Topshop has paid a far heftier price to gain a foothold on the catwalk. Over the past eight years, it has ploughed at least £500,000 into sponsorship of a new generation of designers who are showing at London Fashion Week, which has acted as a springboard for designers such as Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen.

Next month’s stroll by Wasson wearing a leaf-print dress will also mark a growing rapprochement between two of Britain’s shopping tycoons.

Stuart Rose, chief executive of Marks & Spencer, is chairman of the British Fashion Council, which runs London Fashion Week and vets those allowed to take part.

He and Philip Green, the owner of BHS and Arcadia group, which includes Topshop, fell out last year over the latter’s second abortive bid to buy M&S. Rose moved there from his job as chief executive of Arcadia after Green snapped it up three years ago.

The row degenerated into an alleged street scuffle between the two, in which Green is reported to have grabbed Rose by the lapels.

Next month, however, it will be the quality of Topshop’s clothes rather than the rivalry between Green and Rose that will take centre stage in a show that is expected to cost at least £50,000 to stage.

Green, who became a billionaire faster than anybody before him on the high street, said last week: “Basically this is the first time a retailer has taken the step of showing a collection at fashion week. I didn’t discuss it with Stuart but our relations are good.”

He added: “We plan to do fashion week properly by erecting a marquee in Berkeley Square and bringing in supermodels from New York.”

Among the models being lined up are Wasson; Jessica Stam, a former face of Prada; Diana Dondoe, a Romanian who has balanced university courses with catwalk turns for Balenciaga; and Tasha Tilberg, a freckled Canadian who models for Versace.

Green has yet to see the collection but insiders describe it as “incorporating beautiful high-tech fabrics with metal fibres to hold shape”.

Some of Topshop’s celebrity customers will be invited to the show. They include Jade Jagger, the jewellery designer daughter of the Rolling Stones singer; Denise van Outen, the actress; and Gwyneth Paltrow, the Hollywood star, who told one interviewer: “I get such a lot of stuff from Topshop. I love the fact that people say ‘Where did you get that?’ and I’ve spent 13 quid on it.”

Jane Shepherdson, Topshop’s brand director, said: “Our debut at London Fashion Week is very significant. It is a blurring of the boundaries between high street and haute couture.”

She added: “We haven’t experienced any bad feeling from any other designers so far and I hope we won’t, but you can never tell how people will feel.”

But one designer exhibiting in fashion week, who asked not to be named, was more reserved. He said: “Topshop are a big sponsor of the show and I think giving my honest opinion would be a little foolish.”

Lorna Hall, features editor of Drapers, the fashion industry magazine, said: “Topshop has been involved with fashion week for years so I am not surprised they are getting their pound of flesh by doing something else.

“Stuart Rose has said he wants to draw the strength of the British high street into fashion week. He wants the high street to get involved in the emergence of new design talent. This could be part of that.”

A spokeswoman for London Fashion Week said: “Stuart Rose’s relationship with Philip Green is perfectly good, but it is unconnected with the show.

“Topshop has a separate designer range and we love it.”

Picture: Erin Wasson, credit to Models.com

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 3
I think they're needing some publicity-bringing something going on, should be interesting to see...

Hum ... I remember when Tim Blanks made a piece on TopShop for Fashion File .. I think its all good

Its so strange that TopShop has gotten so big.

I remember a few years ago, TopShop was where all the teenagers went for cheap clothes, lol - its completely changed now!

TopShop may be cool (i always find some interesting NEW trends emerging from there) BUT it doesnt really belong to London Fashion Week's schedule..
supposedly FashionWeeks are reserved for 'designer's' lines..
lately the trend seems to be moving more towards mass market chains, see NY fashion week...
on the other hand, it will bring some more creativity to the TopShop team, since they will need to present original collections..

i'm a bit torn on how to view this.. somehow i prefer Designer Fashion Weeks, much more since the quality of the chain stores is pretty so-so (to say the least)

what? will Zara and H&M be next on the FashionWeek's calendar? :ninja:

I kind of view topshop as a completely one of a kind high street store. a.because it offers different lines (ie, petite, boutique, maternity, etc.) but also because b. they are the best in terms of trends.

I wouldn't want fashion weeks to become inundated with mass-market stores but I would much rather watch a topshop show than a Sweetface by Jennifer Lopez show.

ot: When I was in new york I couldn't believe how much Zara jacks up their prices for the american market where they come off as a sort of well to do high street brand. $200+ USD for a Zara jacket...I don't think so....

Topshop is always looking out for Young Fashion Designers, esp the fresh graduates, sponsering them for UK fashion week. Winner is able to work with McQueen is i'm not wrong ^_^

bleedoll said:
Topshop is always looking out for Young Fashion Designers, esp the fresh graduates, sponsering them for UK fashion week. Winner is able to work with McQueen is i'm not wrong ^_^

well said bleedoll, which basically is also ...bad news, cause traditionally TopShop used to sponsor new designers shows and used to have collaborations (including Sophia Kokosalaki)

now all sponsoring will stop since they will onviously need to 'sponsor' their own show

Hi Lena... well, in the end it is great that they are looking at young designers these days! heehee ^_^ cheers!

I always go on the Topshop web site and i love all the clothes! But does anyone know why they don't ship to the US?

off topic: babydoll, we share avatars, how cool is that :D

sounds good - topshop needs to up its game as its rival Miss Selfridge is cleaning up its act bigtime.

wonder how Zara is doing - it seems less on th eball with trends than it used to be ...it scertainly much less edgy than Miss Selfridges & Topshop.

babydoll1125 said:
I always go on the Topshop web site and i love all the clothes! But does anyone know why they don't ship to the US?
i would predict that it won't be much longer before they expand into the US...

you can just feel it coming...

helena said:
wonder how Zara is doing - it seems less on th eball with trends than it used to be ...it scertainly much less edgy than Miss Selfridges & Topshop.
off topic: i checked their fw 05.06 collection just yesterday. quite more 'edgy' than the previous seasons (granny, brass jackets, tones of bbblack, romanticism, lots of folk, empire lines and turn of the century looks)... nice tops, hideous fit :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->