Travel Guide : Los Angeles

Spacemiu said:
There is a fun resturant in Big Sur called Nepenthe that is sort of hippy vibe, right on the highway with gorgeous views.
I visited Nepenthe..very nice !

scandinavianchic said:
I think that my big problem with this trip is figuring out how many days to stay in each location.... Any good ideas as of how to spend 18 days in Cali...? Day by day?
Like I told you we went for 16 days and probably covered too much ^_^ ..I'm heading for bed..but I'll see if I can't recall how we divided up our time tomorrow.

you have to make a stop in LA. you just have to.

san diego huh? go to seaport villiage...make sure you eat at Anthony's fish grotto.

oh, the sycamore tree inn at pismo beach is really nice...i don't know if it's worth the time though.

Last edited by a moderator:
mmm...i don't know if you're interested, but there are several good outlet malls on your route...my favorite one is this one:
http://www.cabazonoutlets.com/

wait, actually, it's the one right behind this one...i don't think they have a website

they have a great AG outlet and i got this adorable Dior top for a rather small fraction of it's original price...:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Made a map for you to see where along our rute we slept :flower:

Hanne said:
Made a map for you to see where along our rute we slept :flower:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU HANNE!!!!!

A big hug to all of you, I really appreciate this! I now know that I'll have an abseloutly FANTASTIC trip!!!!

I'm so surprised that I've gotten so many answers, didn't think I'd get any at all!

:woot: :woot: :woot:

You're welcome :flower:

Just remembered something shopping related..buy bikinis in Cali ! It's a huge industry. Buy bikinis especially if your upper/lower body is un-evenly proportioned..I visited a couple of beach-bathingsuit-bikini etc boutiques along highway 1..and you could choose 3-4 different models of tops to go with an equal number of different models of bottoms..and you didn't have to do a small top + small bottom..which I find is usually the case in Denmark

I think Norway probably has the worst selection of bikinis and swinsuits in Europe. It's like the stores forget summer and nice bikinis, so I'll definitly get some when I go!

:D

If you want to experience the LA fashion scene, I recommend the many indie boutiques in Echo Park/Silver Lake, the shops on Melrose West of Fairfax, the strip of shops West Of Lacienega/East of Doheny on Sunset Blvd. in West hollywood & Robertson Blvd in Beverly Hills.

For hangin at a picturesque outdoor mall and beautiful people watching, I recommend The Grove on Fairfax & beverly- they have the typical high end mall stores, but in a very charming setting with good restaurants, a kickin movie theater & the farmers market

fourboltmain said:
San Diego is boring. Stay out of La Jolla, just a bunch of old people who can't drive and the place falls asleep around 9pm. Pacific Beach is alright, a lot of wannabes and cops are out like bees on weekends.
:lol: :lol: thumbs up. I should also add Coronado in the wannabes zone, a lot of annoying people thinking they live in some kind of exclusive island, plus boring restaurants and boring stores..

i'm just going to give this thread a *bumb* as i'm going to california this july/ august. any help is appreciated! :flower:

what would you like to know, mettchen? CA is my home state - where are you going? what do you want to do? I'd love to help, but I need more details, haha!

Misako said:
what would you like to know, mettchen? CA is my home state - where are you going? what do you want to do? I'd love to help, but I need more details, haha!

sorry, i'll be a little more specific then ^_^ i'm mainly looking for areas or streets for shopping, i've heard LA is great for vintage and secondhand and if you know any shops it would be fantastic. I'll be going to San Fransisco as well. And Palm Springs (to play golf :D ). And well, just mainly looking for small shops and also places to eat would be great. :wink:

Hey Mettchen! We had a fantastic experience back in April, and I'm SO jealous of you! I did actually find LA shopping extremely overpriced - even the vintage shopping. (maybe I went to the wrong places?) We did go to this one place that was kinda fun, "the Alley". It's like a huge market with tons of replica and knock off stuff. They did have som really nice necklaces and earrings there.

I did find vintage shopping in San Francisco fantastic, especially Haight Street!

scandinavianchic said:
Hey Mettchen! We had a fantastic experience back in April, and I'm SO jealous of you! I did actually find LA shopping extremely overpriced - even the vintage shopping. (maybe I went to the wrong places?) We did go to this one place that was kinda fun, "the Alley". It's like a huge market with tons of replica and knock off stuff. They did have som really nice necklaces and earrings there.

I did find vintage shopping in San Francisco fantastic, especially Haight Street!

:kiss: thanks a bunch scandinavianchic, i'll look it up and be sure to visit those places.

Mettchen said:
sorry, i'll be a little more specific then ^_^ i'm mainly looking for areas or streets for shopping, i've heard LA is great for vintage and secondhand and if you know any shops it would be fantastic. I'll be going to San Fransisco as well. And Palm Springs (to play golf :D ). And well, just mainly looking for small shops and also places to eat would be great. :wink:

SF is a HUGE place for great places to eat and to shop - the most obvious: Union Squre. There's also a section of the Marina District that has some of the most adorable boutiques. :smile: LA (and SF) - great cities for vintage - just going around the city you can find some fantastic things. I'll have to think more about places to eat...there are too many!

Misako said:
SF is a HUGE place for great places to eat and to shop - the most obvious: Union Squre. There's also a section of the Marina District that has some of the most adorable boutiques. :smile: LA (and SF) - great cities for vintage - just going around the city you can find some fantastic things. I'll have to think more about places to eat...there are too many!

Macy's on Union Square has an AWESOME shoe department! They have everything from designer shoes, to cheaper brands.. Loved it!!!

What's L.A. really like?

I've heard so many things about Los Angeles. A lot of negetive things! That it's without a soul or culture, that everything is (including people, mainly people) are superficial and fake, everyone is only concerned about looks, that unless you have a ton of money it is super "ghetto". A lot of my friends in New York City look down on L.A. They say it's without fashion, and they would be much more scared to live there then NYC.

What do you think? I don't even think you can compare the 2 because they are just so different.

My best friend lives in NYC right now and she's moving out to L.A. in December, wich sucks because I was all saved up and ready to move to NYC at the end of the summer! Now she's up and leaving on me. She's an aspiring actress, just finished her 2 years at The New York School of Film and Television and now I guess Hollywood is calling her name!
I'm just curious to what everyones opinion is on it. Trying to get a feel on the city. I know I LOVE NYC.

What do you think is the best place/area to live and why?

And how's the fashion? :innocent:

Well alot of what u heard is very true most of the peoeple are fake and people do care alot about money. People here have a soul but to survive here you must act the part and the part calls fro u to be beautiful and rich. Fashion ...... well there are alot of people who do there own thing and have style but then there are those who only wear what rap videos tell them or whats new at Abercrombie. I dont think you can compare NY to LA, there are very diffrent LA is very laid back -and NY is always busy loud and crowded. LA has a big problem with gangs right now thats a big negative but gangs are everywhere. I love LA I cant imagine growing up anywhere else.

All I have to say is that the traffic sucks to the point where it's aggravating to mere mortals. Get a motorcycle and stay away form MTV and you all should be alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->