Travel Guide : Los Angeles

fourboltmain said:
All I have to say is that the traffic sucks to the point where it's aggravating to mere mortals. Get a motorcycle and stay away form MTV and you all should be alright.

I do want a motorcycle! :woot: Just a little one I could cruise around on. I am so afraid to learn though! It can't be that hard, though, can it?

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a motorcycle for a long time, but living in Minnesota it isn't practical because it's winter about, oh, 95% of the year.

Are they cheaper for gas?

On average, how much would a small motorcycle cost? Do you have to be "certified" to drive one?

Get a moped at first. Some are no joke, there's a 650 Yamaha I think that is quick as f*ck. Gas mileage, well, I'm lookin gat a BMW 650 Dakar right now. It gets about 65-70 mpg. A basic motorcycle brand new is about $4,000 new. The price goes up when you start getting into high performance engines and suspension, worry about that later. :smile:

Getting a license is fairly easy, there's a written test and then they make you go through this obsticle course VERY slowly. My best advice would be use a moped for it, or take off in second gear.

Check out this link: http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/cruiser_standard/model.asp?ModelName=Nighthawk&ModelYear=2005&ModelId=CB2505

and the Rebel is about $3,000. I don't know how much you weigh, but the Nighthawk is lighter and thus easier to control.

I live in San Francisco. I have mixed views on LA. I don't think you can generalize, as there are so many people there. Here is what I found.

I had cousins living in Laguna Beach growing up. She had GREAT personal vintage style. Her mom was a gold digger with fake t*ts who stayed with a very old, perverted, rude husband for his money. Her mom would always try to give her $100 bills everytime we went out but my cousin refused them. I think she had her own set of personal values that made her unique... though I was so baffled about when she visited me with 3 pieces of luggage (for a weekend)!

My husbands cousins live in the OC and Beverly Hills. The first time I went to the South Coast Plaza I felt totaly insecure and sad. These people spend money like nothing else. I was young and I could spend $300 or so over the vacation. Lets just say there is little to buy for $300. It seems hard to grow up there young and have to compete with all the other 13-18 year old girls who already have a huge designer bag collection! Store owners do a good job of making you feel inferior as well.

My husband's family is VERY down to earth though. What I appreciate about them is that they know money rules alot. They appreciate it, but it is not all they talk about. All his cousins but one are middle class andhave their priorities right, etc. I like them because I don't feel guilty discussing shopping with them, where as I can not with my Berkeley, CA family.

His one cousin is a movie agent in BH. They are very nice to us, but I think they could not comprehend when we once went to Neiman Marcus and came home empty handed. They are nice in that they offer endless food and accomidations. I hear though they are tight with their money. They don't even give that much to their mother or help with her bills even though they have a 8 million dollar house. The wife has fake t*ts and has fired two nannies. The first because she told someone else that she has fake t*ts. She also fired a personal assistant because they were getting to friendly with her, in just a normal friendly way not sexual or anything like that. They have a 3 year old daughter. Once she was standing at a door waiting for someone to open it. I told her just to turn the handle as I had seen her do it before. She started screaming at the top of her lungs, so her mother came over and comforted her and opened the door for her. Both the mother and her looked at me like I was evil for not waiting on this little girl hand and foot.

LA can be very superficial. It seems like everyone there bleached their hair and gets fake boobs. In some areas you are so overwelmed by all the Bentlys, BMW's, etc that stroll down the street.

Now that I am older, shopping there seems great. Alot of designers put their boutiques there because that is where people spend money. There is alot of variety in what you can buy, eat, and do. I would not mind living there myself someday, but I doubt it would be my only residence.

nor cal over so cal! i have lived in both and can vouch.
rhiannonmars, i have similar expierences, i lived in laguna beach and i hated it. i moved when i was middle school, i don't think i would have liked if i was older either. theres just nothing to do there. why they decided to make a show there is beyond me.

I'm sorry but where are there no superficial fake money obssesed people???? seriously , their in new york, la, paris , oklahoma, everywhere. Of caorse there are may be more in big cities like la becuase of the money and the entertainment industry, but please don't write of LA based on so stupid gold diggers.

There are many many many creative, wonderful, magical things and people in Los Angeles.
As far as fashion, the city is really coming in to it's own more and more, there are lots of great creative designers like Magda Berliner, Edith Palm,Jasmin Shokrian,Grey Ant, Brett Westfall ( Rei Kawakubo, even asked to see a special showing of hsi collection some seasons ago and now sells his stuff at her Ayoma store).

I think it's too broad of a generalization that all rich people are snooty and spoiled. I live in a wealthy suburb of LA and yes, my community is known for outlandishly expensive homes, but that doesn't mean that all of us are "without a soul" or "lost." My mom and dad, for instance, didn't earn their fortune by sitting on their butts and collecting money from people they cheated or rich relatives who deceased. Instead, they immigrated here from very poor towns in China and made it for themselves through hard work and determination. They have always taught me the value of money and of work, and they make sure I understand what it is like to be poor.

However, I do agree somewhat with rhiannonmars; I used to have friends whose mom's didn't work and did nothing all day about complain about the kids, get pedicures, and go to Sak's. These kids end up being messed up out of their minds, and it's scary to know that these kids will possibly end up doing drugs, just because they have the money and the time. I make sure to pick my friends carefully, because I know it can be easy to fall into the hole of materialism, especially at my high school.

So yes, LA can be superficial, but I think it depends on where you go. There are many artsy people who don't go for the Juicy sweats and fake tans, and if you can look beyond the surface, LA can be quite nice. May I suggest Santa Monica Pier? 3rd Street Promenade? Manhattan Beach? Like I said, if you can look beyond the few who ruin it for the rest, then LA can be quite nice. Everywhere you go, there are a upsides and downsides. :flower:

i am a native californian, and took many trips into LA for various reasons. i always found it very hard to breathe in LA. the smog is discouraging.

i think LA requires a lot of focus - i wouldn't suggest living there without an idea of what you want to get out of it. because it doesn't have the same intensity level that NYC has.

meme

I've been to LA many times and everytime i go, i get this sense of an "empty" feeling there, it sorta feels like theres no focus and i agree with sweets, its prob the vibe.

Fun to visit, but not sure about long term...

I'm going there this summer, but whenever I think of LA I think of that book Less Than Zero.:unsure:

In all seriousness, Los Angeles isn't as fake as people say. However, it's not exactly the nicest place on the world to live in. If you're in the actual city of Los Angeles, you would know it's just a vast expanse of concrete, and cars.

A belated welcome back scandinavianchic !! Did the trip live up to your expectations ?? While you were busy being a Cali tourist I delivered my baby girl..she is sooo sweet :wub:

Really? Congratulations!! (feeling a little jealous) Cali was great, we were actually a little bummed when we had to go home... I totally fell in love with San Diego, especially the old town... SO romantic, and the food was great!!!

i'm sorry i didn't get to this sooner..i'm from the central coast (san luis obispo..north of santa barbara) and i noticed no one really mentioned things to do there. wyatt mentioned hearst castle, there are a ton of other really beautiful places on the central coast. what did you end up doing on the way down the coast?

i love old town san diego as well...i'm glad you had so much fun on your trip! california is amazing. i really miss it!

Oh, I totally forgot the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo... It's the most amazing hotel I've ever stayed at. Totally kitch, but awesome! Highly recommended! Morro beach is also a gorgeous little beach town..

i grew up in morro bay! i lived there for 8 years, then moved to los osos, which is another tiny little beach town, but much less touristy. i lived in san luis obispo for 2 years also before i moved to san francisco. the madonna inn is CRAZY! did you go into the men's bathroom in the restaurant? it has a waterfall!

i really miss slo! my parents still live there so i guess it's a good excuse to visit :lol:

i'm so glad you had a good time!

:heart:

scandinavianchic said:
Oh, I totally forgot the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo... It's the most amazing hotel I've ever stayed at. Totally kitch, but awesome! Highly recommended! Morro beach is also a gorgeous little beach town..

looks fantastic, very kitsch but still awesome! i might be able to talk my parents into staying there for a night - which room did you stay in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->