Travel Guide : Paris

Hi everyone,

Me and two of my friends are planning to go to Paris in about 4 weeks.
I am responsible for all the arrangements because I'm the only who has finished all my exams. ^_^

But I've run into some problems. Mostly in choosing which hotel to choose from. As I am not at all familiar with Paris apart from how it is divided into sections.

Would you guys be so kind to help me come up with a few suggestions?:blush:

Below is my plan:
- We are taking the Eurostar from London St Pancras to Paris Gare du Nord.
- Places that we are planning to visit: the Louvre, Champs Elysee, possibly the Eiffel Tower, Rue de Rivoli.
- We would also like to be around an area that has some nice pubs for the night.

Preferably the hotel is near most of the above attractions. and of course the Gare du Nord :smile:

Budget is around £100 per night.

Thanks in advance!:flower:

(I didn't know where exactly to start this thread, so if it is in the wrong section, please help me move it :flower:)

I would recommend the Hotel Britannique. http://www.hotel-britannique.fr/index.html

It's located on Avenue Victoria, near the Chatelet, direct from Gare du Nord by subway, next to the rue de Rivoli and all the main sites you want to see are a few subway/ bus stations away.

French martini?

I wasn't sure where to put this question, but a few years ago I was in France, and I ordered, or asked for rather, a Martini and got the same drink at most places. They were wonderful, and I did a little research and found that the drinks a pretty much just Martini liquer straight. Does anyone have any idea about that because I'd love to make them for my friends!

Thank you!:heart:

^ It's funny because a few years ago I was in California and I asked for a Martini and I never understood was it is they gave me.

Martini is actually a brand. When you ask for a Martini you usually get a Martini Bianco (Martini blanc).
You'll find all the explanations you need (and see George Clooney :brows: :lol:) here:
http://www.martini.com/

Hope that helps. :flower:

Btw, Martini is one of my favorite drinks. :smile:

Anyone from Paris?? Important

Hi!

Im a girl from Sweden who is (what it seems likw for the moment) going to paris in the end of october. The thing is that.. im going alone. And I have never been in paris before! Im wondering if there is another girl on here ,that are going to paris in the sametime as me, or someone who lives there, that want to hang out from the 20th- 27th? or just like, some of those days?

Would be SO happy if someone replied!
And oh, is it safe to go to Paris alone?

cheap hotels in paris?

going to paris in a couple months and looking for a cheap hotel. can anybody give me names of very inexpensive hotels in paris? i don't care if it's crummy and gross, i just want a cheap place to stay (traveling on a budget). the last time i went i paid about 35 euros a night. that hotel had condom wrappers all over the floor, blood stains on the ceiling, and the bathroom "door" was merely a tattered submarine motif vinyl shower curtain. for me shady hotels are part of the fun, they give me something to write about, but i can't remember that one's name. i think it was on rue diderot but not sure. so anyway if anybody can give me names of a few hotels that are 50 euros or less a night i would be grateful. thanks.

Paris: bars, vintage shopping, eating etc...?

Hello, me and my boyfriend are going to Paris in February and I was just wondering if anyone could give us some suggestions of things to do and places to stay? Thanks, H xX

Gah, i love these forums! I only posted this a couple of days ago and there are loads of replies!

I've been looking into the Oops hostel, Hotel Amour and Hotel Nesle; has anyone stayed at any of these? The Woodstock hostel looks fairly cool too, thanks Bette. God I wish the Lacroix hotel was a little more in my price range. The decor looks aMAzInG! I don't think my purse could take that kind of beating!

What about bars or clubs? Any recommendations?

And vintage shopping...are there certain districts that are better for finding second hand stuff? Thankyou! Xx

I recently spend two weeks in Paris & if you are going for a week or more I would suggest renting a small studio or apartment. Mine had a full kitchen complete with cooking pots, pans & utensils. I bought food & cooked, but only because I love cooking so much. Of course I also ate lots of cheese & bread as well as some street food. There's nothing I like better than getting something to eat, sitting on a bench eating & people watching.

If I ate a meal out, it would only be for lunch. I would eat at an affordable bistro that looked inviting to me & not full of tourists. Eating dinner out can cost as much as $70US & up per person if you aren't careful.

The lady at the bakery I frequented got to know me & was soon filling my bag with more treats than I was purchasing & I loved her for that.

Paris is a city that's best enjoyed by walking. So please don't spend all your time at the monuments & places teeming with tourists. Discover & explore the hidden spaces as these are the true essence of Paris. At least for me.

If you want to explore without walking so much, buy a carnet & use the Paris bus system. You'll see a lot & really get to observe the Parisians up close & not have to worry too much about pick pockets like on the Metro.

I think I blended in OK and it didn't seem as though I had tourist stamped on my forehead. I dressed simply & carried a large bag which held the small things I purchased.

If you have never been to Paris, please go! You can do it on the cheap, even with the dollar nearly worthless. And really, your best memories are going to be the things that cost very little money. Paris is everything she is reputed to be & more. Take your time, and find your own Paris, even if you discover it only once.

^^Great post and info MissMagAddict! Thank you! I'm looking at going toward the end of the month or next month and am thinking of renting a studio or apartment for a week? Can you or anyone recommend a website or where to find these places to rent? Thank you! :flower:

I recently spend two weeks in Paris & if you are going for a week or more I would suggest renting a small studio or apartment. Mine had a full kitchen complete with cooking pots, pans & utensils. I bought food & cooked, but only because I love cooking so much. Of course I also ate lots of cheese & bread as well as some street food. There's nothing I like better than getting something to eat, sitting on a bench eating & people watching.

If I ate a meal out, it would only be for lunch. I would eat at an affordable bistro that looked inviting to me & not full of tourists. Eating dinner out can cost as much as $70US & up per person if you aren't careful.

The lady at the bakery I frequented got to know me & was soon filling my bag with more treats than I was purchasing & I loved her for that.

Paris is a city that's best enjoyed by walking. So please don't spend all your time at the monuments & places teeming with tourists. Discover & explore the hidden spaces as these are the true essence of Paris. At least for me.

If you want to explore without walking so much, buy a carnet & use the Paris bus system. You'll see a lot & really get to observe the Parisians up close & not have to worry too much about pick pockets like on the Metro.

I think I blended in OK and it didn't seem as though I had tourist stamped on my forehead. I dressed simply & carried a large bag which held the small things I purchased.

If you have never been to Paris, please go! You can do it on the cheap, even with the dollar nearly worthless. And really, your best memories are going to be the things that cost very little money. Paris is everything she is reputed to be & more. Take your time, and find your own Paris, even if you discover it only once.

This is great advice. I went to Paris last summer with my boyfriend and we also rented an apartment. It's the cheapest way to go. We rent from the same person all of the time and he has two apartments in Paris.

hello guys,

I will probably go to Paris at the begining of May and I just can't wait.
I read one guide and I quite know what I want to see and where I want to go.
I agree with some of you that walking around the city will be much more interesting than useing metro/buses.

What I'm looking for are all the informations about those great little things/places, you'll never find in guidebooks hides in some small streets.
Also, I would like to know what you suggest to eat, drink, do, ...

Ps. I know that in Paris every year there is a big chocolate festival. do you know when it will take place this year?

TIA

Ps. I know that in Paris every year there is a big chocolate festival. do you know when it will take place this year?

If you're talking about the Salon du Chocolat it's in October or November. :smile:

Hello!! I have a rather simple question - what's the weather like? I read around 13 degrees celcius but what does that mean, boots or sneakers? Jackets or cardigans? It's hot where I live so I'm not sure what to pack! Thanks! :flower:

Hello guys! i'm currently planning my summer holidays and i would like to attend one of the summer course at the Sorbonne University, i'm thinking about the 4 weeks french language and civilisation from 4th to 31st of July...but from what i've read on various forums and website it seems like staying in paris during july is a terrible idea: all the parisians desert the city leaving it to the tourists,most of the exhibitions have already ended, many places are insanely overcrowded others are already shut etc.. *
since i've already visited Paris once and done pretty much all the "classic" spot, i'd love to immerge and blend myself in the local life so i would like to know from those of you who live in paris what is the situation really like?!thanks in advance :flower:

* add: another curiosity: what is the university calendar in paris?because where i live on june and july there is the summer session of exams, so students definitely don't leave the city and august is more like the month of summer holidays

It's such an old cliché to say that all Parisians leave the city in the summer and that there's nothing to do.
Of course, Paris is a bit less crowded by "natives" especially in August but with the economic and social crisis, only a minority can afford to leave work behind for 2 entire months... It's a slightly different, quieter pace for sure which I usually enjoy.
From what I remember of my student time, universities were opened all July, for registrations, exams and extra courses.

^How could anyone ever get bored in Paris? :lol: Anyways, have a good time! And make sure to check out the musee de orsay (if you like museums), it's Impressionist collection is fab. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arielmarison
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->