Trench coats - fashion or frump?

Fashion Puss

Reaction score
I have just bought a lovely fitted trench coat from Mango. However, I'm now a little worried that I will look like my nan.
Its very fitted and has all the trench characteristics. Its so hard to get a winter coat that doesn't make me look like the Michelin man or some sort of blimp (I'm a uk size 14 / 16)
Whats the general feeling towards trench coats...?

Attachments

• 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 42
According to the book 'the Pocket Stylist', every gal should have a trench as they're forever stylish. You can even be naked under your trench and still be in style (as per book)
:smile:

Mind you, i've seen some horrid trench coats, so i think it's key to get a good one with good lines and fittings. If you got it from Mango should be fab (i'm soooo jealous!! we don't have Mango in Canada).

Personally, i don't think trench coats work with me.. the collars and the double-brested thing and the belt just don't work with my body - i look overwhelmed. i like coats either simple and sleek, or funky.

just as long as the trench is fitted and flatters your body, it's fabulous.

I've also of the disposition that while trench coats are indeed very classic, they are fairly difficult to pull off. Since they are traditionally a male garment, there is that fear of appearing too masculine in one. However, I think that you could try toning yours down by wearing something a bit softer and more feminine underneath. In the center picture that I compiled (from the Zara website), Hana is wearing a floral dress underneath the trench. While that clearly isn't all that practical for winter, you might try contrasting your trench coat with a softer top, perhaps in a satiny fabric. I would also recommend sticking to heels when wearing the style, for the same reason.

AH3B8.jpg

Attachments

• trench.jpg
    trench.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 42
I love trenches :heart:

I have this hot pink silk Byblos trench that I got at Loehmann's two years ago, and I wear it all the time... it fits like a dress, so it's amazing to wear it with just tights underneath, and use the trench as a dress :heart: ... I wish I had a neutral colored one :doh:

But the thing is that, it has to fit like a glove :important

If it looks too bulky and masculine all buttoned and belted-up, it might be nice if you wear it over a feminine dress and high heeled boots, but tie the belt at the back to make it sit open, but very fitted.

Alejandro said:
I love trenches :heart:

I have this hot pink silk Byblos trench that I got at Loehmann's two years ago, and I wear it all the time... it fits like a dress, so it's amazing to wear it with just tights underneath, and use the trench as a dress :heart: ... I wish I had a neutral colored one :doh:

Ohh sounds beaauutiful!! :heart:

I have a denim one that fits like a glove, very feminine and goes with almost everything. Too bad I can't use it more often. :(

I :heart: trench coats. It can be feminine and classic at the same time. A great way to draw attention to your waist and the trench is very versatile too.

Alejandro said:
yes I completely agree. I love the look of a belted trench - it can be incredibly sexy for any size girl (or guy)...as long as the shoulders aren't too square, and the belt falls at the natural waist (around the belly button, give or take a bit). that way it defines the waist and creates a very pretty hourglass shape. since you said yours was a fitted one from mango, I doubt you'll look like your nan...unless mango suddenly has started to use london fog as a reference for the cut of trench coats. :wink:
I myself have recently acquired a gorgeous chocolate brown leather trench from the 70's, and to me, the 70's defined the perfect trench...it's perfectly cut, with natural shoulder line, a wide collar, and a high belted waist - and it fits like it was made to my measurements. :heart: ^_^

Alejandro said:
The price was beautiful also, $75 but don't tell anybody :lol:
My lips are sealed! ^_^ $75?!! What an absolute steal! I am very jealous!

utopia said:
I myself have recently acquired a gorgeous chocolate brown leather trench from the 70's, and to me, the 70's defined the perfect trench...it's perfectly cut, with natural shoulder line, a wide collar, and a high belted waist - and it fits like it was made to my measurements. :heart: ^_^
Utopia!! can we trade trenches :lol: You're absolutely right about the hourglass shape, it is so flattering, and the ultimate description of a great fitting trench coat :heart:

Black, well-cut trenches are awesome. Otherwise, boring...

Alejandro said:
Utopia!! can we trade trenches :lol: You're absolutely right about the hourglass shape, it is so flattering, and the ultimate description of a great fitting trench coat :heart:
:D :heart:

I love trenches, my favourites are the black and just over the knee, like one that Kate Moss wore on the frontrow of a Burberry porsum show.

But I feel young to wear a trench, I feel like my mother in a trench. Do you think that trenches fit 16-years-old?

^ i think it depends on your style, what you usually wear... i went through this trench phase when i was 16. i was just obssessed with belted coats. i love them... i usually wear very plain things like jeans or long belted skirt and a sweater or neutral shirt with heels or a simple black dress. i just throw my trench over it and voila i'm ready to go... i just love them, theyre surprisingly warm and so classic and chic. i think its def an essential piece for almost any wardrobe and a great investment

they don't look good on me at all...but i like this one from thakoon... :flower:

Attachments

• thakoonlacepvcmac.jpg
    thakoonlacepvcmac.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 22
  • thakoonlacedetail.jpg
    thakoonlacedetail.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member