UK Elle June 2020 : Florence Pugh by Liz Collins

I love how UK magazines went on despite the pandemic. Love that for them.

Really unflattering cover photo!

Florence is a beauty, but this is so drab and uninspiring.

She looks so gloomy imo. I guess that it unintentionally fits the current mood...

Really thought that Elle would be reactive. This looks very obvious, traditional and boring.

UK Elle June 2020

Have You Met Florence Pugh?

Photographer: Liz Collins
Stylist: Aurelia Donaldson
Hair: George Northwood
Makeup: Wendy Rowe
Manicure: Trish Lomax
Cast: Florence Pugh

UK Elle Digital Edition

UK Elle June 2020

Rebels With A Cause

Photographer: Nico Bustos
Stylist: Jenny Kennedy
Hair: Maarit Niemela, James Catalano
Makeup: Florrie White, Rebecca Davenport
Manicure: Sabrina Gayle
Cast: Celeste Waite, Edward Bluemel, Gala Gordon, Michael Ward, Sophie Cookson

UK Elle Digital Edition

Most people don't have access to a hairdresser but they do own a hairbrush, which means they're likely to look better than this cover does.

UK Elle June 2020

Summer Time

Photographer: Victor Demarchelier
Stylist: Jenny Kennedy
Hair: Hiroshi Matsushita
Makeup: Celia Evans
Cast: Merel Zoet

UK Elle Digital Edition

I don't mind the cover and edit. Her hair could really have been styled better, but I like the styling and pastel backdrop. It's a typical Liz Collins shoot. Understated.

Really thought that Elle would be reactive.

I don't think they had a say in the matter. It seems this issue closed at a time when nobody foresaw that it would become a world epidemic. And it makes the content seem a bit, odd to say the least. The massive perfect cover headline on the cover :huh:, the 'Rebels with a cause' spread, and then there's also a lifestyle article about tapping out from social media with the subheading '...the chicest thing you can do right now is completely disappear.' So for Elle, they just imagined it would be yet another summer issue.

The only piece of content in the entire issue that does react to the current state of affairs is Farrah's letter. She mentions that there are digital covers with everyday heroes, only this issue is of course on sale digitally, but all the covers I've seen features Florence with no options. Unlike Alex at Esquire, she doesn't explain to her readers that this issue closed at an earlier stage so anyone who doesn't know how magazines work will just think that they deliberately chose not to reflect or address the crisis.

UK Elle Digital Edition

These days, I think UK Elle is a ghost ship.

It has the feel of what happened with regional newspapers, where cost-cutting by the parent company pared operations down to a head office located in a random industrial estate that's not open to the public, with a handful of staff whose job it is to lay out news stories reprinted from Associated Press.

You dont get the feeling that anyone producing content for UK Elle is paid to care, with the main aim to use reprinted material as much as possible. While the editor did a good job with UK Cosmo, it feels like she has zero investment in this current position, and is adding UK Elle as a line on her resumé before moving on to a better position than the backwater of editing a woman's print magazine.

It has the feel of what happened with regional newspapers, where cost-cutting by the parent company pared operations down to a head office located in a random industrial estate that's not open to the public, with a handful of staff whose job it is to lay out news stories reprinted from Associated Press.

You dont get the feeling that anyone producing content for UK Elle is paid to care, with the main aim to use reprinted material as much as possible. While the editor did a good job with UK Cosmo, it feels like she has zero investment in this current position, and is adding UK Elle as a line on her resumé before moving on to a better position than the backwater of editing a woman's print magazine.

There is one such newspaper in the North East whose job is to cater to the villages and despite their popularity, fill their website with syndicated articles and drivel about Gemma Collins.
I've actually posted Summer Time by mistake, it is one of those global Elle editorials shot by Demarchelier and already appeared in Spanish Elle.

Much preferred Florence’s cover of US Vogue as opposed to this, and think British Elle and Liz Collins have produced some very unflattering photos here. The styling is atrocious, and the only shot I can remotely tolerate is the one of Florence wearing the cream and black Chanel blouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->