UK Harpers Bazaar May 2007 : Elena Melnik by Philippe Cometti

Label Basher

Reaction score
MAY-MAIN-IMAGE.jpg

http://www.harpersandqueen.co.uk/

Sorry I don't know who this model is. Anyone else know?

This cover does not appeal to me at all. I actually don't get the point of UK Bazaar anymore. I liked it so much better when it was Harpers and Queen. I can't see how this mag can stand up to UK Vogue or UK Elle.

The cover is so vile that I haven't even flicked through the issue this month, let alone buy it (and I usually buy it every month). The shot looks like an out-take from an editorial, with no thought given as to how it would work when put on the front of the magazine. Having a model on the cover is no guarantee of a good cover; in this case, a standard shot of a celebrity would have been preferable.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's Elena indeed and the pic is an out-take of her editorial inside

I've also noticed that this magazine is starting to get less preferential positioning on the newsstand - in the main newsagents in my city, it seems to have migrated away to the edges of the women's magazines, instead of being grouped with UK Elle and Vogue.

What does this cover no favours is that this month a lot of current covers have a strong white theme to them, very bright and clean - and this dull grey one just doesn't attract the eye in the same way.

WOW,that is such a bad cover!!!!Its just awful,such a waste....of a model.................

i actually like this! very light and fresh...l got sick of primary colors after a while...

i'm not sure of UK HB atm, sometimes the issues are really good, and then others are quite pants.

I'm glad some people like it :P it's not the best one I've ever seen but I didn't see what was so ugly on that cover and i agree with jackieonassis the issues are sometimes really good and sometimes not at all...

P.S. this issue is 50-50 I like the ed with Elena but it lacks of more editorials imo

Most months, when I review this mag, I usually find something positive to say about some aspect of it, but this month, no. I personally feel that this is the worst issue that UK Harper's Bazaar has produced since its name-change, and I will be harsh on this magazine, considering it retails at, what, £3.60 or more?

At that price, it's trying to be a premium product, on the same level as Vogue. But contrast this issue with what UK Vogue has produced this month. I demand a decent return for handing over my money.

^I understand that point, I think it's too expensive as well and won't buy this issue even if I like Elena's ed inside. that's not enough (and for me it's even more expensive than £3.60 as I live in France) especially compared to the beautiful Lily Cole and Lara Stone eds in current UK Vogue (don't like the cover though but it's just a matter of taste)

I wonder if it's worth writing to UK Harper's Bazaar praising their use of models (even if I moan about the actual cover) because they do seem quite dedicated to picking fairly new models and giving them a chance, which is a great thing in principle.

^yes she looks Behati-ish on the cover but I've checked inside, it's really Elena :wink:

After seeing it in the shop I like it, it stands out to me (in a good way)

It definitely stands out! Great motion and movement. One of the better covers this month.

^ glad you like it :wink: it's becoming a big dilemma to me as more I see this thread, more I would like to buy it :blush::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikita91
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->