UK Vogue April 2004 : Lily Cole & Gemma Ward by Nick Knight

:wink: Ahhh thanks, kasper!! :heart: I'll definitely head over to hgfl and jedroot.

Sasha seems to be the new-and-improved Gemma - as soon as she arrived on the main scene, Gemma faded, as if nobody wanted her anymore, they had something better.

I'm allowed my own observations, you'll give me that much. Gemma was doing very well for a while, but then Sasha arrived like a powerhouse, working everywhere - and Gemma seemed to fall away. I do find them to be similar-looking girls, therefore my rationale above, that perhaps people were taken more with Sasha.

Personally, I found I grew to like Gemma, then when Sasha arrived, I didn't like her, but when I saw the variety of her work, that changed, and Gemma was the one I wasn't so keen on. She seemed limited in comparison to the spark of Sasha.

But maybe Gemma took a step back to work on other projects - who knows why she's not on the cover of UK Vogue anymore, and Sasha gets it instead.

I don't think Gemma disappeared because of Sasha; I know that over the past couple of years she's been pursuing acting, so I guess modeling has taken a back-seat to that? I'm sure she could land huge jobs if she wanted to - the soft-faced aesthetic that she introduced to fashion is still huge right now.

This magazine is so old - I remember that particular feature with Natalia Vodianova! She's so lovely and the photos with her son are adorable. Daria, also, looks incredibly fierce.

I think I'd stick with the big-money jobs while the fashion world still wanted me, acting being an unreliable source of income when you're starting out, but it'll be interesting to see what roles she gets/goes for. At the moment, there's not much on the resume at imdb, so I hope she's got something big for 2009.

I would have thought Gemma would have been one of the few with staying power since she was the one who introduce that whole look to begin with. I have to believe she's takining a break because all the other girls from her "group", Lily D, Trentini, Sasha are still going strong.

gemma paved the way for these girls.. i think gemma was part of another group of models. she was featured with giselle, karolina, and the other girls. then vogue did the issue w/ stam sasha, the next group. gemma already reached icon status..

i love both sasha and gemma but let's give credit where credit is due.
ps i love the cover and eds from this very old issue.

Of course, we're forgetting the other girl on that cover, Lily Cole, who is managing to combine modelling (high fashion and commercial campaigns), acting (in films we've heard of) AND successful studies. This is why I can't understand the reason Gemma had to disappear to work on other stuff.

Karolina's US Vogue cover moment happened back in 2001, three years before this cover with Gemma came out... Karolina herself came on the scene several years after Gisi had established her position around 1999. I wouldn't associate Gemma with Vogue editorials around 2000-2002, and physically, she doesn't fit with the scene I remember back then, with sexy girls like Frankie Rayder being teamed with Gisele for swimwear/sporty editorials. Hmm.

^Yeah, I think Gemma was the newest girl of the bunch, If I remember correctly she had just made her US Vogue debut that May in the Dangerous Liasons couture edit. And lets not forget how new Gemma was when this cover came out that same year. I had just seen her in a Vogue Italia supplement and the new faces edit of British Vogue and all of a sudden she exploded onto the scene. that May she would land the cover of W as well.

Aha came on here, saw "UK Vogue April: Lily Cole & Gemma Ward" and thought it was the newest issue. Gutted!

And the Spotlight Falls On...
Photography: Nick Knight
Styling: Kate Phelan
Models: Gemma Ward Lily Cole, Tiiu Kuik & Polina Kouklina

Scanned by MODA

Last edited by a moderator:
Haute Exotica
Photographer: Mario Testino
Fashion Editor: Lucinda Chambers
Model: Daria Werbowy
Hair: Marc Lopez
Makeup: Tom Pecheux