UK Harper's Bazaar November 2018 : Maartje Verhoef by Josh Shinner

Well I absolutely love Yves Klein but Maartje's covers are really quite mediocre.

The siren call of a gothic mermaid come ashore from a sea that's as cold as her heart.

Flicking through this on zinio, it's 260 pgs, features include big interviews with Pierpaolo Piccioli, Nicolas Ghesquière, a look at Dolce and Gabbana ,and the work of artist Anni Albers, plus a couture report, Roksanda Illincic's moodboard, Hannah Weiland's home style, mansions of New England, a jewellery edit with the pieces on the hand of a young girl painting, and UK Bazaar's beauty box, yours for £200.

I HAVE WRITTEN MY NAME ON THE FAR SIDE OF THE SKY is the Yves Klein story, continuing the cover mood over 20 pgs, shot by Josh Shinner, styled by Charlie Harrington.

THE LOVING SPIRIT, is shot in the Firth of Forth (Scotland) by Agata Pospieszynska, styled by Charlie Harrington. It's the story you see in the limited edition cover above, and it's about 16 pgs, zinio's being too glitchy for me to keep count.

The fashion content may be limited, which will bore some. But with the focus on art, this magazine is in its element this month. Its voice and sense of purpose come through on every page.

I don’t know, I just love UK Bazaar...
It always looks fresh. I think sometimes magazines are taking the obvious gimmicky route, thinking it will look fun but there’s something fun in a idea of doing something fresh...

It’s not revolutionary but in the sea of covers using easy tricks (fairytale, La Parisienne, the mainstream idea of underground), it’s a welcome proposition.

I love all the covers!

'I Have Written My Name On The Far Side Of The Sky' — Yves KleinHarper's Bazaar UK November 2018
Photography: Josh Shinner
Model: Maartje Verhoef
Styling: Charlie Harrington
Hair: Polly Osmond
Make-Up: Alain Pichon

awakesmile

Definitely not the right model for this! Wow, she's just relying on her cuteness to carry her through this story. Lazier than a celeb! I'm not getting any appreciation or understanding of the setting, the structures, the styling. And that after the stylist and set designer did so much to pull this together. She should've extended her break permanently.

When you think of the intensity or depth that a model like Guinevere could have brought to such a shoot, she's definitely just breezing her way through it. I wouldn't even call it good enough for a catalogue.

Very disappointing issue! The fashion content is instantly forgettable, and unfortunately for me the designer profiles this month centers around Nicolas and D&G, brands I really don't care for. So I'm annoyed that I had to pay full price for such underwhelming content. At least the supplement made up for it.

I agree that she could've brought more to this shoot.
But I still like it and I'd rather see her than a Hadid/Gerber/Depp/Baldwin again.

Agata Pospieszynska for Harper’s Bazaar UK with Drake Burnette
Photography: Agata Pospieszynska.
Styling: Charlie Harrington.
Hair: Emil Zed.
Make-up: Natsumi Narita.
Production: Lucy Watson.
Retouch: Karolina Koza-Marasek.
Model: Drake Burnette.

fashion editorials

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads