UK / US trends

Please don't beat me with a stick, but I quite like Skinny jeans. Not paired with flats or tucked into boots, but over a pair of slightly heeled smart boots like Doc Martins...

^I like my skinny jeans too, i wear them with my converse (which loads of people have started wearing and it gets on my nerves!)

I hope cardies don't become a trend!I don't want loads of people wearing them

Hmm.... I dont know about thoose cardigans... I think its great... a real grandfather object....! Like the high stockings... its great to find unique stuff in your parents basement :smile: Everytime Im there, I find a new item... Like I found this pucci scarf in my moms old suitcase.... Freaky
Well back to the cardigans... Dont think its a victim...

missing credits

Last edited by a moderator:
ithillien- cardigans and sweater in general have already become pretty common out here. but, more on the younger crowd around my age. i'm not sure if i'd call it a trend or not yet...

Taper-Jean Girl said:
Girls have literlly been wearing the same outfits for the past 7 years. You have you Abercrombie t-shirt, a pair of flared jeans and a pair of birkenstocks and you go. That's pretty much it. In the winter you wear an Abercrombie sweatshirt.

Glad I don't live in the south... I knew I'd never fit in there.

well i'm from germany and in germany you'll become popular, if you wear your trousers in those cowbow boots or any, which are leatherd. well i wore that and went to paris and every glanced at me like i'm a monster. in paris everyone weares those tiny denim leggins and these tiny little balerinas. Fashion is completely different in Paris than in German.
But I'll have to say: I like Fashion in Paris!

skinny jeans wont catch on here

We americans dont believe in following trends we follow what looks good on us and what is casual cool. Hollister and abercrombie. most of us american girls are bootylicious and we wear clothes which make us look good. skinny jeans look good with boots because you dont see the bottom part but if your going to work or hanging out you need something cool and relaxed and which makes you look good , flares/boot cuts do that and I think they will never go , the came in 93 after being left out for 15 years and havent left despite the fact fashion kept going from loose too skinny to loose then skinny . I lived through both the 70s and 80s I wore the super flares to skinny and now wear bootcut flares and trust me skinny jeans are hideous , I have a pair of lees 1985 zipper ankles and they look atrocious. Girls Like sienna miller and kate moss maybe icons in UK but to masses here they dress like bums/rednecks because the only people who wear ankle zipper jeans which are very atrocious.

veronicaUSA said:
Girls Like sienna miller and kate moss maybe icons in UK but to masses here they dress like bums/rednecks because the only people who wear ankle zipper jeans which are very atrocious.

i'm sorry, but i have to completely disagree on your assesment of how americans view european style. and a lot of what you said about american style to begin with. i'm not sure what part of the country you live in, but over here people dress in a lot of different ways, including trends and skinny jeans. and, i happen to think that sienna miller has wonderful style.

This is my first real post here and I wanted to comment on a couple of things.

First of all, I dreaded the skinny jeans thing when I saw its prediction about a year ago since I am a wide hipped, big booty with a poochy belly kind of gal. I must say though, I bought a pair of Marc Jacobs skinny jeans with reservation and I think they make me look thinner. The straight line gives me the illusion of being taller and slimmer. Maybe this doesn't work for everyone but seriously, try some on before deciding they aren't for you, you could be wrong.

I do think it is unfair to say that Americans only want to wear casual tshirts and abercrombie crap. Sure, I see plenty of those myself but I live in the south and I still see nicely dressed, fashionable people depending on where I go.

As for the Kate Moss/Sienna thing, I don't particularly care for them but I've always been a fan of boho style. I was rocking hippie/boho long before it became the "in" thing to do. I'll take boho over preppy or abercrombie college casual any day of the week.

veronicaUSA said:
We americans dont believe in following trends we follow what looks good on us and what is casual cool. Hollister and abercrombie. most of us american girls are bootylicious and we wear clothes which make us look good. skinny jeans look good with boots because you dont see the bottom part but if your going to work or hanging out you need something cool and relaxed and which makes you look good , flares/boot cuts do that and I think they will never go , the came in 93 after being left out for 15 years and havent left despite the fact fashion kept going from loose too skinny to loose then skinny . I lived through both the 70s and 80s I wore the super flares to skinny and now wear bootcut flares and trust me skinny jeans are hideous , I have a pair of lees 1985 zipper ankles and they look atrocious. Girls Like sienna miller and kate moss maybe icons in UK but to masses here they dress like bums/rednecks because the only people who wear ankle zipper jeans which are very atrocious.

This wasn't supposed to be an attack on US style. You don't have to be so defensive and go all out preserving the virtues of the bootcut/flare jean. Everyone was simply comparing two different outlooks on style and as we have discovered, USA is such a vast country, there's style variation everywhere anyway so cannot be generalised. (As you have done by saying 'American girls are bootylicious' and 'We americans don't believe in following trends.

Vice versa, in the UK, not all of us are into skinny jeans and are Kate/Sienna followers.

well at the moment in the uk black and white horizontal striped sweaters are very hot. especially if teamed with timberlands. i think its hot! what about you lot?

veronicaUSA said:
We americans dont believe in following trends we follow what looks good on us and what is casual cool. Hollister and abercrombie.

Hi guys- I'm a newbie but felt compelled to add my humble two cents...

I'm American and I wish we were as style-y as the Brits! Americans don't believe in following trends? What do you consider the Juicy track suit disaster?? Or every other person with a full on outfit from Abercrombie or AE? Where's the creativity or individuality in that?
And to call Kate Moss and Sienna Miller bums/rednecks?? Wow. I'd rather see Kate or Sienna clones in skinny jeans and flats than a bunch of Paris Hilton wanna-be's in fake tans, ugg boots,and those god forsaken Juicy track suits (which really should be used as pajamas, if anything!:(yuk:

But, everyone's entitled to his/her opinion, and that's the beauty of this forum! :D

your misconstruing

i never said kate moss and sienna miller are wt or anything like that all I said was they dress shabby , they are pretty girls it would be nice to see them dress like glamourous girls , i mean think about it your in a glamour field ( just my opinion).

^By glamour....I hope you mean 'glamourous' and not THAT kind of glamour. :lol:

I agree that it it irritates me when celebrities go to gala events wearing ugly casual looking outfits but on their own time, I'm sure they just want to be comfortable and in their own skin like the rest of us. It's fun to look glamorous, but not all the time or when we're walking down the street to get ice cream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->