UK / US trends

nothing wrong with curvy you just have to dress to suit you. i think layers can work wonders :wink:

Skinny jeans have been around here for at least the last couple of years. I am absolutely sick to death of them! I love how people in the UK layer their clothes. But I guess that's been born mainly out of neccessity right?

The US is too big a country to generalize stylewise. I see people representing every type of style everyday -- preppy, trendy, goth, hip-hop...etc.

Madhuri said:
The US is too big a country to generalize stylewise. I see people representing every type of style everyday -- preppy, trendy, goth, hip-hop...etc.

I agree. Just walking around campus I see tons of different styles. But then I also will see tons of girls sporting the same played out look, such as gauchos (that don't fit them well!), flip flops, those damn sequin bags, sloppy hair, but with tons of makeup on...oh, and a lot of them are super tan (inwinter!). Luckily I haven't seen many girls doing the tall boots over jeans look yet--we'll see if that's caught on today when I go to my first classes of this semester.

there have always been sub culture's in every western culture. ranging back to the teddy boys and the guys in there zoot suits. in the uk you get the standard goth kids, with the indy and emo fellows closely linked. i thing the most interesting is the group that follows the fashions closely. what entertains me the most is all the wanna be trendy kids that style tere hair in the bleached mullet and prance around in there cardigans. i love cardigans have for ages it sickens me that i can wair mine without looking like a victim

boho_babe said:
I think people have become more fashion consious over the past year in the UK, and fashion seems to be fashionable?
I think thats why alot of people in the UK walk around looking the same.

I think this deserves a thread of its own.... "Is fashion fashionable for 2006?"....

le bon said:
there have always been sub culture's in every western culture. ranging back to the teddy boys and the guys in there zoot suits. in the uk you get the standard goth kids, with the indy and emo fellows closely linked. i thing the most interesting is the group that follows the fashions closely. what entertains me the most is all the wanna be trendy kids that style tere hair in the bleached mullet and prance around in there cardigans. i love cardigans have for ages it sickens me that i can wair mine without looking like a victim

It begins with m. It's a website. And it's a 7 letter word. I honestly think that this website is responsible for a lot of trends amongst subcultures especially just look at the whole hair extension thing. I definitely think that fashion is fashionable for 06 , I used to be the only person I knew in my circle of friends who took an interest in fashion or had a desire to pursue a career linked to fashion and now it seems a lot of people are doing it. I think celebrities like Paris Hilton , Mary Kate and Nicole Richie have definitely helped this.

I know exactly how you feel. I especially dislike it when I've been on a quest for something , my most recent one has been flat knee high slouchy boots but now that is a trend , I hate looking like a fashion victim.

I think that people are going to have to go to extremes to retain some kind of individuality.

i do believe that the cardigan is becoming a fashion victim item. when i was buying them i had to to marks and sparks or BHS. now i see everybody in them selling at All Saints, Reisse topshop and H&M. very annoying.

i feel portraying an individual style is extremly important. i believe it is becoming harder to look individual without looking like an idiot.

but hey i suppose that is what good dress sence is. just hope i have it!

lemeray said:
Yeh I noticed that. Many celebs in US don't wear skinny legs & ballet flats.
What?! I see everyone wearing them (in fact, I think the trend is done with!). As far as fashion is concerned, it depends on where you are located in the country. Girls in London are presumably more "hip" to the trends then girls in rural areas. Just like girls in urban areas in the US are trendier than girls out in the country (most of the latter only wear clothes available at their local malls such as A&F, Hollister & all of that rubbish).

Personally I think US & UK style are far more similar than say, US & France, or US & Italy. Just my opinion ^_^

le bon said:
i do believe that the cardigan is becoming a fashion victim item. when i was buying them i had to to marks and sparks or BHS. now i see everybody in them selling at All Saints, Reisse topshop and H&M. very annoying.

i feel portraying an individual style is extremly important. i believe it is becoming harder to look individual without looking like an idiot.

but hey i suppose that is what good dress sence is. just hope i have it!

Surely a cardigan is classic and can never become a fashion victim item.

If I tried to glean fashion information from looking around me, I would have very very little. The only clear trend I've seen on the street in recent years is the inescapable lowrider muffin top thing. If I had no access to fashion information, I would think that there was a huge trend toward "blah."

It's really too warm here for tweed, and I've seen no one here wearing vests (what you would call a waistcoat).

the cardigan in its clasic form is definatly a clasic but the introduction of distressed areas, novelty buttons and other stupid adornments has sullied the once hallowed ground that is the cardigan

its a shame to hear about the lack of tweed. it was my major favorite this winter. i even managed to source some vintage tweed gola trainers amazing. the waistcoat look hasnt taken off as much as i predicted last year but i thing there is life still in it. Vivian Westwood is still doing lots with.

melt977 said:
I think this deserves a thread of its own.... "Is fashion fashionable for 2006?"....

start it up melt :wink:

on the cardigan, i believe it can be revived to a 'trend status' like anything else..

back on topic, regardless the quite unpleasant state of London Fashion Week- London highstreet/mass market is the absolute global trend leader since the sixties, this is nothing new..

Last edited by a moderator:
susie_bubble said:
Is a cardigan a fashion victim item?

For men, you have to be thirty-something, read all the dodgy bits of the Guardian, like Charlie Porter and Barbara Ellen and probably eat nothing but Nigel Slater recipes.

Hmm...well I just moved to NY from the south a couple of months ago and I think a more appropriate title would be UK/NY trends, because NY or other big cities in the US are on a totally different playing field than the south/midwest when it comes to dressing. Where Im from, most girls wouldnt be caught DEAD in skinny jeans. No ifs ands or buts. And smartly so where some of them are concerned. :angel: And fashion doesnt really change in the midwest/south either. Girls have literlly been wearing the same outfits for the past 7 years. You have you Abercrombie t-shirt, a pair of flared jeans and a pair of birkenstocks and you go. That's pretty much it. In the winter you wear an Abercrombie sweatshirt. I think in England, girls throw caution to the wind and are so swept up in looking 'current' and fashionable. Its the same response to music in the UK. You'll have certain bands that you guys go completely nuts for...the strokes, kings of leon, razorlight, bloc party. And it doesnt translate over here. I mean some people in new york will listen to them, but if you go to like Nebraska and ask somebody about The Strokes theyd think you were being vulgar. :rolleyes: I think you guys just get swept up in trends, whether it be fashion or music, in the UK, and dont think of the consequences (the stuffed sausage look...ahem) I dont know, Ive only been to London once, and i dont want to call all the girls i saw desperate. But I will call some of them desparate in their attempts to emmulate Kate and Sienna and you get the same nonsense here in the states with Lindsay and Nicole. Ugh! I suppose Kate and Sienna look-a-likes are the lesser of two evils. :ninja:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->