UK Vogue February 2021 : Dua Lipa by Emma Summerton

UK Vogue February 2021

Vogue Trends: All Together Now

Photographer: Marili Andre
Stylist: Dena Giannini
Hair: Panos Panadrianos
Makeup: Vassilis Theotokis
Cast: Cynthia Arrebola, Olivia Belgrave-Ruse, Florence Clapcott, Ajok Daing, Naomy Garcia, Sneha Kaul

UK Vogue Digital Edition

Overall a pretty good issue. I kinda liked the simplicity of the cover and the cover story is Linda inspired so i can’t hate it.
I feel like we’re seeing the same concept with Brand New Ancients every single month from Vogue UK and Vogue US. Why they don’t cast beautiful black models for different concepts more often? Rianne’s ed is stunning just like many of her other works. It gave me Vogue Paris vibes though.

I was ready to receive and recycle this issue, but the content seems better than the cover would suggest.

But that cover story is on the level of an underfunded effort from UK Elle. To say those shots are inspired by Linda Evangelista... I imagine many people buying this issue may not have been born when Linda was getting a Vogue Italia cover every time she changed her hair, so a throwaway story based on throwback images as seen on social media probably seems meaningless... but it's like seeing a schoolgirl assume the role of being the Mona Lisa.

IMO trouble started when they put a celebrity on a cover with a monotone colour scheme on her hair, makeup and background you literally dont see her. Only a really good model would pull off such a cover, they needed some colour to break the monotony

ph british vogue instagram

Capture_pp.JPG

IMO trouble started when they put a celebrity on a cover with a monotone colour scheme on her hair, makeup and background you literally dont see her. Only a really good model would pull off such a cover, they needed some colour to break the monotony

I wonder if they'd used the red version of Linda's short style on the cover, would it have added something to the shot.

it is indeed a very solid issue. all editorials are good!

Dua’s editorial is good (I do not see Linda at all - Linda wasn’t different types of wigs...)

I agree with @Ken Doll Jenner and I will add that of late only POC are seen doing these type of theme editorial... can’t POC so glamour and chic too

Rianne’s editorial showing Emanuele Alt how to do something good - eat that.

and Tilda... beautiful!

I'm wondering whether Lachlan's editorial is going to appear in Vogue Paris as well, it looks very "shared editorial" lol

Dua has come such a long way in terms of dancing, there are quite a few stories out there on how changing choreographers helped her. She got a lot of criticism for her dancing in her earlier years. This is by far my favourite performance of hers.

Thank you Ben!

This issue is not that bad, a rarity it must be said, maybe because it's so derivative.
I really like Rianne's ed, but it's something that Vogue Paris does with their eyes shut and churns out every mouth. And Isabeli Fontana already did this Evangelista tribute with far superior results, and even then no one was convinced.

I do not know why anyone would give Tilda a chicken but nothing can cramp that woman's style. She's far above everyone else.:lol:

Great issue. I cannot find fault with any ed, even if I don't see Linda in the main ed. Looking forward to March.

A pleasantly solid issue for such a throwaway month; funny how this issue is stronger than his Sept and March issues combined.

Always dug Emma. She’s one of those photographers who has such a distinct and still effortless style marinating in a sunny warm glow and summer breeze, while slowly building her signature without coming off gimmicky and one-note. And this shoot shows she can shoot against a white seamless and still bring out a warmth and sensuality without relying on her settings. And Due looks good-- good enough anyway, under her direction. There are a few shots that are so much stronger than the awful high school prom picture pose select they went with. Seems Edward is following Anna’s covers by going with the most bland, safest, consumer shot to optimize the rag’s appeal.

(Kind of very depressing that we’re in an era where Dua gets the cover while Tilda is relegated to a feature story— or Lachlan’s superior shoot with Rianne doesn’t make the coverstory— where eery single select is gold.)

A really solid issue, but I still decide if I can look past the cover to get this or not? Dua is trying but in some shot she still too stiff ( is like they photographed her while she "dancing"). I like the use of bold colors and contrast in Adut edit. Tilda ed is decent exclude the chicken photo that is too indie for Vogue. I have dejá vu with Rianne ed, because it's look like the extended "la boheme" in VP October issue. And the jewelry ed is just filler anyway.

ph british vogue instagram

View attachment 1165090

It’s never the subject’s fault when a covershot fails, as far as I’m concerned (…unless you’re Beyonce who demands her own team and final sign-off on everything. Then I blame Beyonce.). It’s Edward’s fault in this case; Maybe he’s aware that such a bland, boring and basic cover sells? If that’s what’s most important for his Vogue, then I understand the choice of select. Clearly there are stronger shots (and that color-corrected greenish/gray seamless is so unpleasant to look at). Dua is a very pretty young woman-- but that is of course subjective, as some deem her not pretty enough to be on the cover of a magazine. In that case, the majority of this era’s models aren’t worthy to be on the cover of any magazine LOL

Emma gave a solid effort with this shoot (and she may be working with a creative direction that’s not hers). The Linda-tribute is… cute. They’re clearly not trying to emulate Linda’s brand of modelling: Frankly— she looks more like Chynna Phillips than Linda with the short blonde wig and black dress on the covershot… But she looks good (enough). Dua’s a harmless pop princess, and she’s not trying to be evocative, provocative nor controversial. She looks like she’s having a good time and it shows. And in these bottom-of-the-barrel days, that’s good enough for me.

(Edward’s Vogue is the most unpleasant of all the Vogues in terms of presentation: He has access and the pull of a top tier editor, and aside from the premiere creatives and brands producing the fashion stories, the rest of the rag looks so cheap and amateur— like your local desktop publisher with a cast of ModelMayhem “models”.

A smaller Vogue like Mexico for example, which may not have the clout nor pull of the top Vogues, always manages to outperform with their content, cast and general art direction. They more than make up for their lack of budget and resources with such flair from page to page. And Emmanuelle’s may be the only Vogue whose standards in art direction from page to page are as high as the fashion content. I’ll even begrudgingly admit that Emanuele’s dreaded Vogue Italia has a consistency in its design aesthetic— as rubbish as the fashion content may be, that follows from page to page. This is non-existent with Edward’s: It’s as if the main in-house team works on the important fashion content, while community college interns work on the rest of the rag— and remotely, barred from the Vogue offices. It’s very disconnected and gives off such a cheap aesthetic to the non-fashion stories. [And that cheapness somehow found its way into the layout for this issue’s cover LOL])

HQ Subscribers Cover:

SCAN BY VOGUE28

Both Rafael Pavarotti's editorial and Rianne/Lachlan's VP redux are pretty good.

Rafael is probably my fave of the new generation of snappers, almost like a modern day Roversi (don't hurt me...), although I do wonder if his signature might start to become a bit repetitive. Lots of intriguing images, and well selected S/S looks from Kate there.

At any rate, the cover and accompanying story are so utterly bland and pandering that I can't conceive anyone paying full price for this however, particularly after seeing better issues reduced recently.

Oh, and Rianne seems to be getting around the globe a lot in the last couple of months. Surely she must've caught the 'Rona at least once by now :innocent:?

Surprised to see Katy Perry on a British vogue cover. Is she that big in UK?

Both Rafael Pavarotti's editorial and Rianne/Lachlan's VP redux are pretty good.

Rafael is probably my fave of the new generation of snappers, almost like a modern day Roversi (don't hurt me...), although I do wonder if his signature might start to become a bit repetitive. Lots of intriguing images, and well selected S/S looks from Kate there.

At any rate, the cover and accompanying story are so utterly bland and pandering that I can't conceive anyone paying full price for this however, particularly after seeing better issues reduced recently.

Oh, and Rianne seems to be getting around the globe a lot in the last couple of months. Surely she must've caught the 'Rona at least once by now :innocent:?

Is it possible that her VP, VJ, and now UK eds were all shot during the same period? All three editions probably booked her for like a week or two during which she did photoshoots on a daily basis.

Chanel; Tilda & the Chicken … when this is the best :shock:
Source : tfs
That would’ve made a great cover. Obviously Tilda doesn’t sell more mags than Dua but I can’t believe she hasn’t even had a Vogue UK cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->