UK Vogue September 2020 : The Faces of Hope

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
A fold-out cover with 20 boundary-breaking activists, including Adwoa Aboah & Marcus Rashford seen here on the main cover:

So Adwoah will appear on the cover of two main glossies on UK newsstands? Someone got played, dunno who.

I'm assuming her's will be the main cover? I get that it's supposed to be stoic and serious, but it's just not to my liking at all. Reminds me too much of W before Tonchi left. Why do a full body shot when he's clearly much taller than her, and with such dull poses and styling? Just looks off.

No comment on the gatefold. Looking at last year's effort, it seems September is officially the one month we're all supposed to ignore British Vogue.

It's a resounding NO from me, unfortunately. I understand the world is changing and in no way am I discrediting what the people included champion for but Vogue is a fashion magazine, first and foremost and the fashion angle is missing here. Of course, yes, there's bigger fish to fry right now than fashion and the Fall 2020 collections but I'm just... underwhelmed and unmotivated to praise this.

Not to mention the cover resembles something Vogue Australia would do - art direction and fonts included.

I like Marcus’ inclusion but I really do believe there were other options that could have sat alongside him. Clara would have been an excellent choice, a fresh choice.

I’m here for the message for sure, but I’m not here for the execution and the final result sadly.

Also, landing Elle and Vogue’s September issue? Vogue have to have known and so must Elle. It does explain why Elle released so early before the actual issue due date however, guessing they wanted to get there first.

I hate how today’s editors are completely unable to translate political and social messages into a fashion magazine. doing “fashion” doesn’t make what you are trying to say less serious, you actually can do both, Franca did it.

Fortunately, I didn’t wait for this cover to purchase my magazines at CNWWN

It's a resounding NO from me, unfortunately. I understand the world is changing and in no way am I discrediting what the people included champion for but Vogue is a fashion magazine, first and foremost and the fashion angle is missing here. Of course, yes, there's bigger fish to fry right now than fashion and the Fall 2020 collections but I'm just... underwhelmed and unmotivated to praise this.

I'm just wondering if they're even aware that there's still a Vogue reader out there looking for some form of escapism, who doesn't read Vogue to keep up to date with the latest social movements? July was the essential workers, August the English landscape images, and now this. I know everyone wants to be 'on the right side of history', but God, can't we just keep calm and maintain at least some form of normality? Why not move this issue to October?

Bought my issue of Tatler over the weekend but got sidetracked. Seems like I'll have to go VERY slowly on digesting it because August will be a looong month.

Shouldn't they be standing two metres apart?

This is not good. I really was looking forward to this because I had some hope in Edward that he would serve us some sort of fashion realness but oh, how I was disappointed... It’s important to highlight the current state of world right now, yes, but you’ve already devoted two whole issues and covers, July and August, for it. Last time I checked, I was subscribed to Vogue, not to Time.

Art direction looks straight from the Australian Vogue (which btw doesn’t look good). Where is the energy of Rihanna’s 2018 September cover? Why do we, all of a sudden, get all these dull “activism” covers for SEPTEMBER?? Give us fashion, for crying out loud.

WiltedCourteousAzurevase-max-1mb.gif

Honestly I... no words. Just rename it to Cultural Digest and piss off of fashion scene already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->