Your Best & Worst Magazine Covers of 2020

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Since 2020 is coming to a close, I thought we could single out the best and worst magazine covers of the past twelve months. After all, it's been THE most turbulent year for print, filled with a whole host of highs and lows.

I didn't dislike a single cover of Vogue Paris this year (perhaps with the exception of Léa Seydoux's cover by Craig McDean). I was head over heels for Jodie Comer on British Vogue by Meisel, loved Marion Cotillard's cover of British Harper's Bazaar, Vogue Korea with Binx Walton by Luigi & Iango and L&I's cover of Vogue Japan with Kaia Gerber!

The most ugliest and most unfortunate, off of the top of my head... Vogue Germany's March cover with Adwoa Aboah by Alique.

What's some of your best and worst covers of 2020?

Oh boy.... where do I even begin?

It's hard to recall every cover because some of them feel like they came out decades ago. What a year, huh!

Off the top of my head, the worst offenders in my book this year would have to be:
1.) Vogue Italia, June - the children scribbles. I was (and still am) genuinely disgusted by this issue. Must be one of the most offensive things I've ever witnessed in fashion. Travesty and disgrace to the industry.
2.) Vogue Italia, April - the blank cover. Hated it.
3.) Vogue Germany, January - the neon yellow jizz. Do I need to say more?
4.) British Vogue, July - the front line women. As honorable as their intention might have been and as admirable as these women actually are, I just hated these covers. I hated the entire anti-fashion sense nearly all fashion magazines displayed throughout this year, it was just revolting to me.
5.) Vogue Czechoslovakia, September - we should all be activists. Stupid decisions are made monthly when it comes to this magazine, but September just went completely off the rails.

Dishonorable mentions (covers that I didn't find offensively bad, just offensively ugly (but at least fashion-y, I guess?))
Vogue Germany March (I mean, seriously?), Vogue Poland March (the styling and the colors were a massive eyesore), Vogue Ukraine October (to book Anouck Lepere and get such hideous results takes talent), Vogue Poland September (awful), British Vogue October (unfortunate lighting, awful art direction), US Vogue August (terrible angle for Simone), US Vogue September (hideous illustration), US Vogue December (*eyeroll*), Vogue Italia September (100 covers, each worse than the other), Vogue Italia January (again, hideous illustration), Vogue Japan October, Vogue Australia October..... I could go on and on with this. Decided to focus on Vogues, but I have to give a special shout out to that dreadful Bazaar cover of Demi Lovato! Poor Demi.

Generally speaking, my least favorite editions this year would have to be Vogue Italia, Vogue Germany, Vogue India and Vogue Portugal respectively. I'd even put US Vogue under this section if we are considering content beyond covers.

Now as for the good ones...
1.) British Vogue, April - Jodie by Meisel. Undoubtedly my favorite cover of the year! Absolutely magnificent.
2.) Vogue Korea, February - Rianne by Luigi & Iango. A close second! Exceptional portraits of Rianne and some of my most favorite images of her inside.
3.) Vogue Korea, October - Binx Walton. A highly unexpect choice for me, but Binx looked exceptionally good on these photographs. Also didn't expect to have Vogue Korea twice in my top five.
4.) Vogue Taiwan, September - unconventional, exceptional, magnificent! Never expected to be a massive fan of Vogue Taiwan, but they truly outdid most of the other editions this year.
5.) Vogue Paris, October - something we don't see often anymore! And Rianne was an added bonus. Loved the entire issue.

Honorable mentions:
Vogue Greece December (stellar covers, would probably land in the top five if I didn't favor Vogue Paris), Vogue Greece October (apart from the iconic Georgina, the images were striking and fabulous! loved the composition), Vogue Italia May (Kaia's covers alone, Karim Sadli did an excellent job), Vogue Paris May/June (splendid covers of both Gigi and Bella, shame Rianne didn't get one as well because we all know she carried that editorial), Vogue Paris April (one of their best covers in a long time), Vogue Poland December (not one, but three bold covers of Anja Rubik! left quite an impression), Vogue Czechoslovakia November (loved the cover of Irina), Vogue Japan September (spectacular cover, the SL collection photographs like a dream), Vogue China July (spectacular cover, made me look into and appreciate Porodina's work), Vogue Taiwan January (haunting and beautiful image), Vogue Brazil May (cause you can never go wrong with Gisele), Vogue Spain March (despite it being Hailey Baldwin, this is in fact one of my favorite covers - the colors were simply beautiful), Vogue Spain October (Esther, duh!), Vogue Mexico/Latin America October (spectacular covers of Ana de Armas)...

My favorite edition of the year is undoubtedly Vogue Paris. Besides french, I've been pretty impressed with what I've seen from Vogue Taiwan and Vogue Greece, with Vogue Japan and Vogue Korea having quite a few hits throughout the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->