Upcoming Shows & Exhibits

I'd want to see that too, so much. He has many projects on the side of his collections

the exhibition we cannot visit in Fukushima, Japan...
Don't Follow the Wind...

via cathy horyn/nymag..

Andrew Bolton, the Met’s chief costume curator, attended the show with Anna Wintour, and has been meeting with Kawakubo about plans to be the subject of next spring’s Costume Institute exhibit. Apparently she has given her approval. But the Met still has to announce it.

Kind of excited to go see that..

Thinking about the gala's red carpet gives me anxiety though.. :ninja:

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Please please please let all the stylists sucker— I mean convince, all the female stars into wearing Comme’s designs from the last few collections so that the red carpet would resemble denizens from Adventure Time… Cos the general public doesn’t already think fashion people are victim-y enough.

Oh the comedy gold of having them try to mount the steps in the latest Comme costumes… Of course, Bey would be the only one not to be suckered in since she always insists on looking like a lubed-up living sex doll for the MET.

Honestly I think she would look awesome in that coffin-esque navy thing from last week (you look 100% better when I can't see you :innocent::lol:).. but she'll probably give us an unwanted history class...

^^^ Haha. You know she’ll insist on sexing up that the navy coffin...

As life-giving as this exhibit will be, Comme’s brand of highest fashion is just not meant for the traditional Hollywood trope. And the red carpet with their need to be glammed-up up/glitzed out are a disaster waiting to unfold— thus the comedy gold. They didn’t even get McQueen, how are they going to get Comme…?

I am, more than anything, looking forward to the sure to be gorgeous Comme volume that will accompany the exhibit. It’s about time too. Drools and swoons.

I know Comme today is about "Art" or like i like to call them "performance garnments", but i hope they will also focus the exhibit on the way she changed western fashion in the 80's.
Yes, Rei is a designer's designer but the brand CDG changed fashion and the way people dressed more than the general public might aknowledge. She also changed the way to present fashion (both in shows as in stores) so, i hope the exhibit will be on that also + the talents she discovered/supported, because she is one of fashion greatest supporter

As for the RedCarpet. I don't expect that much...
Most of the people are invited by brands or coming with designers wearing their latest collections. Black is really the color of CDG but it doesn't always translate in RC photos.
Celebrities are quite insecure about their looks so we can't expect from them to wear something not form-fitting and play with proportions...

While i think Marc Jacobs will go for it as he is very inspired by Rei, i wonder how american designers will translate the theme. It's easier for europeans to do CDG references...

2017 will be interesting.

I'd be very shocked if this would be realised. And if it did, I imagine there will be a strict set of guidelines from CDG. Based on that Elle exposé earlier this year, Rei and her team are awfully hard to work with. It all sounds like water and oil to me.

^^^ But she's Rei.

No matter how difficult she may be, she is a legend to legends. There are a handful of designers who are beyond mere high fashion, and she’s the leader of that pack.

I hope they dont forget Comme’s menswear, but it'll likely be neglected— understandably. Or at best, just serve as an accent for the women’s. If it gets the equal attention (that it deserves) as the women's, then that’s a generous treat for the Comme addicts and admirers.

^^^ But she's Rei.

No matter how difficult she may be, she is a legend to legends. There are a handful of designers who are beyond mere high fashion, and she’s the leader of that pack.

I hope they dont forget Comme’s menswear, but it'll likely be neglected— understandably. Or at best, just serve as an accent for the women’s. If it gets the equal attention (that it deserves) as the women's, then that’s a generous treat for the Comme addicts and admirers.

No no, I didn't mean it in a bad way, of course. :lol: Just that Rei doesn't say yes to every Tom, Dick and Harry. In fact, imo her work is almost too sacred to be oohed and aahed by the likes of Kate Hudson and Selena Gomez. She'll most likely lay down the terms, which is not something Anna and her posse are used to. You really ought to watch that Met-China documentary. They enlisted a group of famous Chinese co-chairs for consultation purposes, Wong Kar-Wai, Wendi Deng among others, who steered them into a certain direction, and they preceded to do exactly the opposite.

Oh, and I wouldn't lose any sleep over menswear being neglected. It will most likely be featured substantially as Andrew is married to Thom Browne, so go figure.

Well she said yes to H&M, which is bottom of the barrel really. And then you have Play. There's definitely a side of her where either no **cks are given and/or she uses it to sustain her own label (yeah right..).

I saw that documentary the other day.. Wong Kar-Wai's expressions are priceless :lol:.. but it is a lot trickier when you're trying to capture a whole culture so to speak, we all understand our own culture according to experience influenced by region, class, race, all these complex things, so you're always going to push some sensibilities, and of course if the interpretation comes from foreigners (especially US/UK institutions, which tend to completely infantalise cultures), yeah, I can understand. Ultimately, you have to consider it is just an exhibition on attire, the nature of that specific fundraising gala is to reach out to the most commercial outlets, which means many elements of entertainment/show business. Wong Kar-Wai was aware of this and kind of just limited himself to discarding the extremes. Andrew did a good job... and being honest, as questionable as many of her actions are, Anna frequently features Comme des Garçons in her magazine and usually makes sure they're good stories (good story and American Vogue? what am I talking about, I know, but they happen from time to time!).

Going into the trajectory of a designer is much easier, and especially with Rei, who has such a rich legacy. I mean, they found a way with McQueen..

Well she said yes to H&M, which is bottom of the barrel really. And then you have Play. There's definitely a side of her where either no **cks are given and/or she uses it to sustain her own label (yeah right..).

I saw that documentary the other day.. Wong Kar-Wai's expressions are priceless :lol:.. but it is a lot trickier when you're trying to capture a whole culture so to speak, we all understand our own culture according to experience influenced by region, class, race, all these complex things, so you're always going to push some sensibilities, and of course if the interpretation comes from foreigners (especially US/UK institutions, which tend to completely infantalise cultures), yeah, I can understand. Ultimately, you have to consider it is just an exhibition on attire, the nature of that specific fundraising gala is to reach out to the most commercial outlets, which means many elements of entertainment/show business. Wong Kar-Wai was aware of this and kind of just limited himself to discarding the extremes. Andrew did a good job... and being honest, as questionable as many of her actions are, Anna frequently features Comme des Garçons in her magazine and usually makes sure they're good stories (good story and American Vogue? what am I talking about, I know, but they happen from time to time!).

Going into the trajectory of a designer is much easier, and especially with Rei, who has such a rich legacy. I mean, they found a way with McQueen..

:lol: I think, to foreigners, the Chinese can come across as very correct! Probably more correct than a Victorian Brit. But you could certainly sense that he didn't agree at times with what went down there, the incessant scratching of his head, stroking of his chin. Very telling! I felt sort of sorry for him at times. And I personally don't know why Andrew and Anna didn't proclaim this gala as a 'Western take on Chinese inspiration in fashion' and be done with it. Because that's what they ultimately succeeded with. The inclusion of the very few Chinese designs felt like a last minute move purely to avoid backlash. And yes, I get that it was only an exhibition on attire, but why go on such a stupendous campaign to immerse themselves in Chinese culture, to seek their approval and opinion, and try to join East and West in a light and inoffensive way, when none of that translated in the exhibit? Maybe like that journalist, I too am overreacting. But it's only because of my familiarity with the culture, and how certain aspects would be perceived by them. That makes me feel awkward. I'm not trying to be the Sino spokesperson here, but I don't think the Chinese thought much of it, btw.

So I think Andrew did an ok job. Just ok!!! I've seen better, to be honest. I mean, I thought he was far too preoccupied with the contrast between art and commerce, and it ultimately reflected throughout the exhibition. And ruffling feathers for the sake of ruffling feathers. But maybe you're right, their demographic is essentially a bunch of vapid celebrities, so in the greater scheme of things it all makes sense. Drench the narrative in saccharine in order to make it palatable to those lacking in any form of discernible intellect. I did think that the Maoist uniform was a very daring move, perhaps too deliberately antagonistic to the extent that I failed to see how it integrated with the rest of the pieces selected. And then of course Justin Bieber came along and cleared it all up for me, :lol:. But otherwise it was a treat to watch. I was quite moved by John's interview, and JPG and Kors came across as so endearing. The mere fact that they were as enthralled by McQueen and Galliano's creations as their guests really made them so likeable for me. Also, are there really that many Brits at the museum, :lol:. It sounded more like the V&A than MET, and felt odd to hear an American accent during brainstorming sessions. And I now officially have a Baz Luhrmann problem, not in a good way!

I'll agree that dealing with a designer would go over much smoother than a culture. How about how about art movements (Dadaism, Pop Art, or something accessible), or paying homage to someone like Bowie?

It would be interesting to see exactly how much agency Rei will cede, the guest list, and the various interpretations. Of course, don't expect even a faint degree of effort from the likes of Ralph Lauren.

No no, I didn't mean it in a bad way, of course. :lol: Just that Rei doesn't say yes to every Tom, Dick and Harry. In fact, imo her work is almost too sacred to be oohed and aahed by the likes of Kate Hudson and Selena Gomez. She'll most likely lay down the terms, which is not something Anna and her posse are used to. You really ought to watch that Met-China documentary. They enlisted a group of famous Chinese co-chairs for consultation purposes, Wong Kar-Wai, Wendi Deng among others, who steered them into a certain direction, and they preceded to do exactly the opposite.

Oh, and I wouldn't lose any sleep over menswear being neglected. It will most likely be featured substantially as Andrew is married to Thom Browne, so go figure.

I know what you meant, Benn LOL

Yes, Rei is Queen and all that (and like Mullet said, she’s not— nor do I think she can afford to be in this fashion era, so above consumer crap, with Play00 along with a few of her other Comme lines, and H&M…), but I’d actually love to see all these nitwits dressed in Comme… I mean, Mullet’s idea of Bey in a coffin alone is too good to miss on the steps of the MET.

The both of you have peaked my interest in this MET doc… I’ll usually pass on anything with Anna in it, but this does sound interesting.

(You know, all these docs about Vogue editors— lately with the most unlikeable ones like Anna and Alex, I can’t help but long for that missed opportunity of that Golden Age in high fashion of the 90s: A doc with Liz and Fabien and their Bazaar, Ashley Heath and Homme +... Accompanied by all the greats like Helmut, Jil, Margiela, Gaultier, Galliano, McQueen— as well as the magical children like Guinevere, Kristian, Michelle Hicks, Maggie Rizor, etc.— a time when Kate Moss was actually gorgeous and fresh.)

The 2017 Met Gala Theme Will Be Comme des Garçons’s Rei Kawakubo
On Friday morning, the Metropolitan Museum of Art announced the new theme for its 2017 Costume Institute exhibition and gala: “Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons.” Opening on May 4, the show will be the first monograph show at the museum to focus on a living designer since its Yves Saint Laurent exhibit in 1983.

“Rei Kawakubo is one of the most important and influential designers of the past forty years,” said the Costume Institute’s curator in charge, Andrew Bolton. “By inviting us to rethink fashion as a site of constant creation, recreation, and hybridity, she has defined the aesthetics of our time.”

The exhibit will feature about 120 Comme des Garçons womenswear designs by Kawakubo, dating back to the label’s first runway collection in 1981, all the way to her most recent shows. The pieces will be arranged by contrasting themes (East/West, male/female, past/present), which touch upon Kawakubo’s fascination with “in-betweenness.” The mannequins featuring Kawakubo’s designs will also be more accessible than ever, as they will be placed at eye-level without any glass or other physical barriers between them and the viewer.

The Costume Institute Benefit will take place, as is tradition, on May 1, the first Monday of the month. The party will be cochaired by Katy Perry, Pharrell Williams, and Anna Wintour, with Kawakubo serving as honorary chair, and the exhibit will be sponsored by Apple, Condé Nast, Farfetch, H&M, and Maison Valentino.
vogue

the Met Costume institute exhibit - Heavenly Bodies:Fashion and the Italian Imagination- includes pieces shown at the Cloisters.
Well worth the effort and the trip. Better than the main show, imho...

Denver just opened the exhibition "Dior, from Paris to the World" here at the art museum, I'm going tomorrow and really excited about it! Some of Galliano's pieces are there including that stunning gold masterpiece that opened the SS04 couture show.

I also read that Montreal will be hosting an exhibit on Thierry Mugler's vintage pieces next spring, I hope I can go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->