US Elle March 2021 : FKA Twigs by Ruth Ginika Ossai

I feel like she´s always getting fashion covers because of their boyfriends :/

I absolutely hate the fact that she most likely got this just because of the lawsuit and the whole abuse case... It’s especially super sad considering the talent she possesses!

I wish they had given her a cover when she released MAGDALENE in 2019. The album itself deserves at least a Vogue cover.

I believe she already booked a US Elle cover, but I agree that this leaves a bitter taste. When E. Jean was asked why she passed on Elle to speak on the Trump abuse claims and went to New York magazine instead, she said it was because Elle is a fashion magazine. More than ever under Nina. This is not the right platform for what seems to be a very sensitive matter. Add on the fact that it's their biggest summer fashion issue. That coverline. The mugshot type image? Elle is in need of sensitivity training!
It used to be VF who would get these exclusives and it least it made sense for them.

As for the actual cover, way too heavy for March. Sorry to say this, but I don't like the cover at all.

I don't appreciate that cover, but her editorial was good. The photos are very calming and the theme suits her waif-like features.

Has she ever had a hit song? And I don’t mean a song you may like... I mean ah actual top ten hit?

Love her music, hate this. And I could be wrong, but considering her lawsuit/accusations became public knowledge 3 months ago, it’s hard to imagine that she didn’t book this as a direct result. I too am tired of her only getting mainstream coverage because of the men in her life. And that is NOT a critique of her or her art, which I think is spectacular, but of the industries in which she’s involved.

^ Sure Jan

hmm well, it´s the feeling I´m getting... whenever I used to read an interview in a mainstream mag there were questions about Pattinson and now this cover about her abuse. I think that she only dated these two since she got super famous? but anyway, I´m entitled to my opinion and don´t care about your sarcasm... chau, jorge.

Seen the editorial and hate the fake, cheap background. She is one of this generation’s most visionary artists. The Bjork who could actually cross over to the mainstream without compromising her aesthetic. Her music videos are so ambitious conceptually that it’s almost odd seeing her this toned down. A very missed opportunity. I think someone like Solve Sundsbo could do wonders with her.

American Elle is such a not event to me as Anna's current issues of Vogue. Which magazine has more readers in the USA? Vogue or Elle? Do people buy both (I used to buy Vogue LatAm and Elle Arg together before the pandemic)? I can't believe that american (and some european) mags has more pages and ads than the ones I read, well known persons on its covers, and yet these are terrible. The quality is beyond awful. The last Bazaar is a good example of that.

What on earth did I just read. That was too heavy for me.

Could have been executed better.

Awful cover...Nina should step up her game specially now that Vogue is so low these days....

American media is so weird now...

What on earth did I just read. That was too heavy for me.

Could have been executed better.
I have so many questions:
a)are this type of covers selling good?
b) if is the answer is not, why these magazines are keeping producing awful covers with those cover subjects, budget and advertisers?
c) American titles as Vogue, Elle and Bazaar have the same type of reader. These readers buys all these magazines or just one?
I know it's too much, and my english is not helping me, but I want to understand if these magazines are aware of its terrible contents (in terms of fashion, styling and photography). If people don't like what they're doing, why these titles are still producing these awful issues.

I'm sorry for my stupidity, lol.

I have so many questions:
a)are this type of covers selling good?
b) if is the answer is not, why these magazines are keeping producing awful covers with those cover subjects, budget and advertisers?
c) American titles as Vogue, Elle and Bazaar have the same type of reader. These readers buys all these magazines or just one?
I know it's too much, and my english is not helping me, but I want to understand if these magazines are aware of its terrible contents (in terms of fashion, styling and photography). If people don't like what they're doing, why these titles are still producing these awful issues.

I'm sorry for my stupidity, lol.

No magazine sells well. It’s about social media clout these days. Getting people to talk about a magazine is basically what editors are going for.

Seen the editorial and hate the fake, cheap background.

Lol, totally agree but it's intentional. It's basically Ruth Ossai's signature and which I believe is a reference to traditional studio photography in Nigeria. The problem is that she's shooting everyone in front of these backdrops even when it doesn't do them any favours. Case in point, this cover and the Marie Claire one with Priyanka.

Lol, totally agree but it's intentional. It's basically Ruth Ossai's signature and which I believe is a reference to traditional studio photography in Nigeria. The problem is that she's shooting everyone in front of these backdrops even when it doesn't do them any favours. Case in point, this cover and the Marie Claire one with Priyanka.

Okay, apologies if I came off ignorant. So I decided to look into her other works as well as references on traditional Nigerian photography and she has done many works that look miles better than the editorial she did here (like her NYT profile). I think the shoot needs a moodier, more subdued lighting or post-production to balance out the artificiality of the background and imbue a more atmospheric sensibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->