US Elle March 2021 : FKA Twigs by Ruth Ginika Ossai

No magazine sells well. It’s about social media clout these days. Getting people to talk about a magazine is basically what editors are going for.

Funnily enough, this cover seems to have flopped hard on social media, too. 12k likes in Instagram for a March cover? Vogue’s March cover was pretty underwhelming and has like 440k. They’re treating sexual abuse and trauma like a bombshell exclusive but the subject is both heavy and has already been discussed over the past 3 months, so what’s the angle? The photos look a bit sad and dreary. A bolder or more vibrant shoot would’ve engaged people much more effectively, I think.

Has she ever had a hit song? And I don’t mean a song you may like... I mean ah actual top ten hit?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Have you ever listened to her music? Ofcourse she has never had a top 10 hit, because that's not the kind of music she makes. She is, however, a very respected musician while also being known for her unique style so ofcourse she will be featured on fashion covers.

Maybe Elle's followers are Shina fans? I can't explain why else the cover and exclusive would get that few likes. Even if one would say the cover itself is awful, that doesn't seem to stop people from liking Farneti's VI and his covers are consistently awful.

It's an interesting exercise in publishing that I wish other editors would take note of. And it once again shows how much strategy is required with these big exclusives. I still remember Nigella Lawson's UK Vogue cover that followed after her very public domestic violence episode and divorce. That cover made no mention of the intrigue, and she was styled with minimal makeup. There was a degree of sensitivity that went along with it and ultimately it gathered a lot of press. A lot more than this cover.
Everything about this cover is misplaced, and it's almost embarrassing to see how Nina got this so wrong. Starting with the People/US Weekly type coverline. She's better off sticking to fashion content and stay away from social/sensitive issues.

Her music's amazing.. it's seriously one of the few voices I can actually do stuff with and for hours (working, writing, etc). I guess she has interesting style for some, too, definitely more authentic than the overly styled ensembles of the usual Elle cover stars. Her mouth on the other hand, similar to Linsey Wixson's, really bothers me :lol:.. something about the zero shape lol and it's pretty much all I can see on this cover.

I'm sorry she went through hell and I think domestic violence needs to be talked about more.. most people even ignore it can take place exclusively on a verbal level, you don't necessarily have to wait to be beaten to pulp to know you're in an abusive relationship, but... it just seems like everyday (literally saw this yesterday, think it was a podcast) we get yet another 'FKA Twigs breaks her silence' 'FKA Twigs details the horrors of her relationship'.. she's gone to court, she's published her story, all of the details are out there via legal documents.. even as someone familiar with my music, it seems like that is slowly taking over that. If I were her, I'd draw the line a bit and try to rise above that... ultimately, while blame has no place, some accountability should come with how we pick our friends and partners, some are harder to discern than others but in this case, someone famously tormented by his inferiority in education and craft, with a known history of violent behavior, who will so obviously snort Tide if that's all that's available.. he should respond to the justice system but maybe we could have a different and equally necessary conversation on how us women are wired to think from early on that 'bad boys' are so hot.. until they fracture your ribs and pass on a cocktail of STDs. Now I'd be more interested in that kind of conversation in lifestyle magazines with a fashion touch like Elle and Cosmopolitan, with a history of wanting the reader to be more 'out there' and playful so you can finally land a 'dreamboat' like Johnny Depp.

No magazine sells well. It’s about social media clout these days. Getting people to talk about a magazine is basically what editors are going for.

So they don't give a sh*t to print magazines. Anna and Nina should stop killing trees, it's a waste of paper.

Irina has an amazing editorial shot by Chris Colls in this issue. I absolutely love it! All in all a very decent March issue.

US Elle March 2021

A Time To Heal

Photography: Ruth Ossai
Styling: Matthew Josephs
Hair: Rio Sreedharan
Makeup: Bea Sweet
Cast: FKA Twigs

Elle US Digital

US Elle March 2021

Girl On Fire

Photographer: Cass Bird
Styling: Alex White
Hair: Esther Langham
Makeup: Romy Soleimani
Model: Devyn Garcia

Elle US Digital

US Elle March 2021

Clean Slate

Photography: Chris Colls
Hair: Orlando Pita
Makeup: Fulvia Farolfi
Model: Irina Shayk

Elle US Digital

US Elle March 2021

Bloom Generation

Photography: Renell Medrano
Styling: Shibon Kennedy
Hair: Nikki Nelms
Makeup: Marcelo Gutierrez
Models: Na’Jeen Michelle, Aun’Jel Yepp

Elle US Digital

US Elle March 2021

The Future Is Bright

Photography: Nathaniel Golberg
Hair: Odile Gilbert
Makeup: Marie Duhart
Model: Akon Changkou

Elle US Digital

US Elle March 2021

Shape Shifter

Photography: Micaiah Carter
Styling: Shiona Turini
Hair: Larry Sims
Makeup: Rebekah Aladdin
Cast: Kiki Layne

Elle US Digital

Not bad at all. Quite a nice set of editorials.

Glad to see Alex White finally pulled through. Love the Nathaniel Goldberg ed.

I love FKA’s music - have both her albums, all her EP’s and have seen her perform live. mind blowing.
it’s on another level of creativity like ARCA, so one wouldn’t expect her to be on the Hot Billboard Top even when the single Two Weeks was fairly recognisable.

this said, the cover is not great. there are nicer shots on the editorial (not sure they’re cover worthy) and it’s a shame it’s so short because she has all the photogenic potential.

all the editorials are good!

"Clean Slate" is amazing. It has been a long since I have seen an editorial this good. The layout, styling, choice of font - just perfect. It could easily appear in an issue from 90s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->