US Harper’s Bazaar December 2020/January 2021 : Vanessa Kirby by Scott Trindle

I like Vanessa, but what the hell is this? It has no soul, no sophistication. It's just.. there.

Vanessa Kirby photographed by Mario Testino for american Vogue with the style of tonne goddman ... the result would have been glamorous and surprising ... today we have an anonymous and soulless cover of Harper bazaar

It looks sad, boring and dull. Samira we had lots of expectations and this is your second cover and it's a bore. NEXT!

It looks like a shot that belongs on the inside pages of British Bazaar.

It's only her second issue so I won't go on one of my 'but what does this magazine stand for???' rants, yet I must say this cover couldn't look more like British Harper's if it tried. Especially in the current situation where Lydia is trying to move away from the ghost of Justine Picardie which will haunt that magazine for years to come.

Yes, the shot is lovely and Vanessa looks great but it's not a cover. It's better than Liya's but Liya's one made more of a statement in terms of aesthetic, whether you liked it or not. This cover is as generic as Sarah Paulson's - it could be for any international HB edition. But I'm sure I've read somewhere that a full-blown redesign is coming next year.

I find the casting choice interesting because Vanessa would obviously sell well for us, but not too sure about the US market. Would she sell for them?

There’s always a place for a woman’s fashion magazine – the influence of the internet makes it easy to forget that there’s a huge swathe of 'older' women out there who have a considerable interest in fashion and lifestyle – and the spending power to match.

I use the example of British Bazaar - it never hogs the headlines in the way that Edward’s Vogue does, but I seem to remember Bazaar achieving steady increases in its circulation at times when every other title was static or on the way down. Those increases might have been tiny – but the magazine was still going in the opposite direction to the others.

Subscriptions have always been the backbone of the business model of any magazine, but I can see them becoming ever more important, and that’s where magazines like Bazaar and Tatler can prosper – they might not have huge newsstand sales or set the internet alight, but they can guarantee advertisers that their relatively stable core readership has a higher net worth than other titles, and is likely to spend more on whatever catches their eye.

I wonder whether American Bazaar will now follow a similar model – where you’ll not get cheap tricks for teenagers on the cover, but you will get content that’s designed to appeal to women who want to read a magazine where - for a moment - they can immerse themselves in materialism that reflects where they are in life.

I was planning subscribe to this magazine since Glenda left, thank god I didin't.
Samira you only have only one job, to make it better than Vogue and right now that's very simple, what's happening??
The cover picture is not bad but I'm sure that in the editorial are other pictures that could make a better cover, the layout it's terrible looks like it was made in microsoft word.
Glendas Bazaar had a very good team of photographers Txema Yeste, Sebastian Kim, Migel Reveriego, Norman Jean Roy, Paola Kudacki even Inez & Vinoodh befor Ana start to using them again, the thing is that Glenda had the worst ideas, Samira could keep using them adding new talent and POC just please not another Tyler Mitchell look a like, I like his pictures but for fashion it's gets boring.
I'm gonna give Samira a chance till the march redesign, but honestly I'm not expecting too much, unfortunately this is the look for magazines at least for the start of the decade we can see it at i-D, Vanity Fair, even Vogue is doing it, try to sell 10,000 dollar coats with a picture that looks like has been taken from a Walmart catalogue.
I like that she is not using all the Kates, Jennifers, Nicoles that all the other magazines keep using over and over for a cover.

Last edited:
Glendas Bazaar had a very good team of photographers Txema Yeste, Sebastian Kim, Migel Reveriego, Norman Jean Roy, Paola Kudacki even Inez & Vinoodh befor Ana start to using them agan, the thing is that Glenda had the worst ideas, she could keep using them adding new talent and POC just please not another Tyler Mitchell look a like, I like his pictures but for fashion it's gets boring.

Glenda even had Lindbergh for many years, and I&V came mainly via Germanotta, but God knows how she managed to get all these other top photographers because as you say she had such tacky ideas. Lindbergh delivered great work which rose above what the magazine stood for and even defined a mood for some time, but Txema and the rest could on the odd occasion do some really corny looking stuff for this edition.

US Harper's Bazaar December 2020/January 2021

Vanessa Kirby Doesn't Flinch

Photographer: Scott Trindle
Stylist: Charlotte Roberts
Hair: Neil Moodie
Makeup: Celia Burton
Cast: Vanessa Kirby

US Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

Last edited:

Get Happy

Photographer: Cass Bird
Stylist: Samira Nasr
Hair: James Pecis
Makeup: Romy Soleimani
Cast: Saskia de Brauw

Picture Perfect

Photographer: Philip-Daniel Ducasse
Stylist: Malina Joseph Gilchrist
Hair: Tashana Miles
Makeup: Jen Myles
Cast: Toni Smith

The Cult of Fear of God

Photographer: Txas Isaiah
Stylist: Yashua Simmons
Hair: Christian Marc
Makeup: Eliven Q
Cast: Jerry Lorenzo, Angela Manuel-Davis, TyLynn Nguyen

I was at first not sold on the cover, but after seeing Vanessa's editorial, I am starting to like it. Damn, she's gorgeous! Other editorials are quite decent too, so I believe I will be very tempted to buy the magazine!

Love that Samira will be like Emmanuelle and still doing edits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->