US Harper’s Bazaar May 2022 by Cass Bird, Josh Olins, Renell Medrano & Amy Troost

There's certainly an aura of dullness only Samira Nasr can conjure, but I must say it's a very nice selection of covers. Although very detached from one another, each cover looks quite good and I give most of the credit to models and their allure. The photographers couldn't have been more bland if they tried!
Imaan's is an instant favorite, closely followed by Lauren. Can't remember when I've last seen a photograph of that woman in which she wasn't smiling! Sora's cover sticks out like a sore thumb among the softness of the previous three covers, but it isn't a bad one. Could've been used for another issue or scrapped all together since it wasn't neccessary at all.

I only like Imaan & Sora Choi´s cover, they´re the only ones that look like proper fashion covers imo.

Leave it to Samira to have an all-star cast look as boring as possible. Sora Choi's edit is the only redeeming one here and it isnt so dull.

Jill Kortleve's cover reminds me of her Feb 2020 Vogue Paris appearance (vogue.fr)

^It looks they are wearing in the same outfit.

"Refreshing beauty?" I love how despite the fact that this "nontraditional beaty" troupe has become such a fashion cliche over the last 10-15 years, these editors still pretend like it's some new, groundbreaking idea. Lol.

The fact that magazines want to push this “redefining beauty” narrative as if the idea of beauty was becoming somehow more attainable when the fact is that today with FaceTune, the ideal “beauty” has become more distorted then it ever was back when magazines used to sell a retouched photo as the beauty standard. Where’s the Facetuned cover? That’s what’s really “redefining” beauty today.

Franca would have probably had Meisel do an Instagram issue where every model would have been filtered to the point of animation. That would have been something.

Sora,Imaan and Lauren in that order...

The fact that magazines want to push this “redefining beauty” narrative as if the idea of beauty was becoming somehow more attainable when the fact is that today with FaceTune, the ideal “beauty” has become more distorted then it ever was back when magazines used to sell a retouched photo as the beauty standard. Where’s the Facetuned cover? That’s what’s really “redefining” beauty today.

Franca would have probably had Meisel do an Instagram issue where every model would have been filtered to the point of animation. That would have been something.

You’re asking way beyond the creative scope of Samira. Just a simple, alluring shot with a hint of mood is all I ask of her. And she’s finally done it: Josh's gorgeous, painterly portrait of Jill is solid enough. Reminds me so much of Picasso's phase in the 1920s of athletic, thicc women:

1285837652_large-image_pablo_picasso_seated_nude_drying_her_foot_1921_6059_oil_painting_large.jpg

abacus-gallery.com

Appears that Bazaar's May covers are the only ones worth looking at! Always nice to see models make the covers of mainstream fashion titles, regardless of the outcome. My two instant faves are Lauren Hutton and Imaan Hammam (who just always delivers)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->