US Instyle September 2019 : Julianne Moore by Phil Poynter

Every time I see Julianne Moore's name on a thread, I cringe.
Her face has been photoshopped so many times, I'm surprised she still has a face.
She has no freckles, her skin is an alabaster perfection, that of a 17 year old Norwegian milk maid.
Give me a break. People complain about 'unrealistic expectations of beauty' anytime a 20 year old model is photographed and then insist that every actress pushing 60 should be photoshopped this excessively. It's just such crap!

Instyle USA won my heart with Big Little Lies covers previous month. There are interviews with Hollywood actresses Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Garner, Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Aniston, more... online. I wish they had covers too. This cover is fantastic. The issue is about 90s I guess. Tom Ford - Gucci era was the best. He did alot for the brand and saved the brand from bankruptcy to profit.

To celebrate InStyle's 25th anniversary, some of our most iconic cover stars return to revisit their past looks — and past lives.

Photographed by Phil Poynter
Styling: Karla Welch
Hair: Serge Normant
Makeup: Hung Vanngo
Manicure: Gina Eppolito

instyle.com

The cover is fine & Julianne's story is stunning. Also, i like the editorial with Amber, Joan & Karen, reminds me for a old features in the 90's from Vogue Italia & UK.

Fabulous cover! It’s quite eye-catching and well executed...Even if I don’t think we needed that excessive nostalgia over Tom Ford for Gucci to come back...But it works. I’ve never been a fan of that collection but I need Glamour right now.

I don’t get her Ed tho. Why is she wearing 2004 Gucci and random Donna Karan. Wasn’t 90’s Chanel or Mugler available?

The Redcarpet ed if fantastic. Karen is really an amazing model. Not one bad photo...
The selection there is super random too. No Jlo Versace, no Uma in Prada, Celine Dion in Dior Couture, No Björk...And Jlo in Chanel was far more iconic than Cameron Diaz...etc.

That being said, at a times when people are about fake postures over social subjects, trying too hard to attract millennials, lazy editors and confused publications, this kind of issue that is all about Glamour and the hedonism of fashion is fabulous! The majority of us’s love of fashion started with 90’s fashion through the 00´s. So, this is kinda emotional...

I recognized nearly all of those dresses, but to me (or actually pretty objectively, I'd say) only Liz's Versace safety pin dress, Nicole's chartreuse Dior dress and then her red Balenciaga bow dress can be considered "iconic". Maybe one or two more (Gwyneth's both dresses certainly stand out to me as well), but there have been so many more recognizable ones over the years like Bjork's swan dress, Zoe Saldana's ombre Givenchy, etc.
I have to say I think they picked some great looks. What about Cate Blanchett’s Gaultier, Angelina Jolie’s Marc Bouwer, Jennifer Lopez’ Valentino, Cameron Diaz in Chanel, Kate Winslet’s Ben de Lisi or Kate Hudson’s Valentino?

The JLO Versace is the first dress that comes to mind to all of us - Jennifer owns it and has it hanging in her closet, you’d think with Laura’s close friendships with so many A-Listers, they could have arranged to have it flown in and shot?

Nicole’s red carpet style has always been up there - so the fact they included two of her looks makes me smile!! I wonder where they sourced the Dior from? From memory, one copy is in Nicole’s possession and a second is in the Dior archive (it’s been featured in numerous exhibitions worldwide).

What about Sharon Stone’s Gap Shirt and lilac skirt combo to the Oscars? That was sooo talked about at the time in every magazine.

The photoshop is ridiculous & Hung Vanngo needs to stop. This is a stunning 58 year old woman that doesn't need to receive the blow up doll treatment.

Im guessing they had to choose between the Liz Hurley Versace and the J.Lo Versace?

I don't like her hair. She needs to get rid of this Karen Elson's look. She looks hotter with darker hair. On the cover she looks like the flag of Netherlands.

Im guessing they had to choose between the Liz Hurley Versace and the J.Lo

The Versace is still the clear winner though. I’m guessing, like everything in fashion magazines, who advertises had a lot to do with it. Louis Vuitton must of paid them to get Alicia Vikander’s dress in. I’m still scratching my head over the Thandie, Emily, and Elle dresses and while Cate Blanchett is clearly a fashion icon she’s included way too much here.

I have to say I think they picked some great looks. What about Cate Blanchett’s Gaultier, Angelina Jolie’s Marc Bouwer, Jennifer Lopez’ Valentino, Cameron Diaz in Chanel, Kate Winslet’s Ben de Lisi or Kate Hudson’s Valentino?

Definitely memorable, but I can't help but feel like they are "second best". For me at least, Cate's yellow Valentino dress when she won her first Oscar is more "iconic" than the Gaultier, for Angelina it's certainly the blush Atelier Versace dress with a red neckline she wore to the Globes, Cameron's pink Chanel Globes dress (the one Zoe cut the sleeve off) is more memorable than the one featured in the InStyle editorial. JLo's most memorable look is without a doubt the green Versace. But I understand that an editorial with archival pieces involves a ton of planning and issues and it's impossible to get "the best of the best" + obviously my list is subjective according to my taste, so there are no wrong opinions here. I'm glad that a story like this is being done in the first place anyway. :smile:

The cover is not for me at all. I agree with the ones saying Julianne Moore is always photoshopped to the hilt for almost all her covers. Besides that, the actual cover looks too much like Bazaar. The digital backdrop, the composition. But I'm more puzzled at the random choice to shoot archival Tom Ford. Nothing wrong with that inherently, but why go for such a generic look? If I didn't read the coverline I wouldn't have known she's wearing Gucci. Surely there are more statement looks, maybe as the 97' cutout dress?

As for the arbitrary 'Most Iconic' list, I'm assuming it was done by and for a Millenial/Gen Z because you can't have this conversation without including at least one of Cher's many iconic looks, JLo's Versace which imo was the formal start of Donatella's personal signature, Renee Zellweger's ivory Herrera which signaled the return of more conservative and ladylike 00s dressing, Halle Berry's Elie Saab and how it paved the way for his embroidered sheer aesthetic which would eventually become the bread and butter of many other brands, Natalie Portman's Lanvin which is the one dress to fully encapsulate Alber's tenure, and personally, Cate Blanchett in Dior under Galliano which for me is far more interesting than Cate x Armani. These are dresses which shaped not only the style of the women who wore them but also the industry and pop culture at large. As much as I like Nicolas, I never get the following behind that Balenciaga dress. It's a very simple look and came at after years of Herrera, Klein, Lauren and Kors dominating the red carpet with their conservative codes. So what's the statement here? Was it because it's everything that his designs weren't at the time?

This would have been such a great opportunity for InStyle to educate their readers instead of overloading them with dresses which already feature on their feeds.

Having a random Michelle Dockery subscriber cover is WEIRD

I love the 25 iconic dresses ed. I agree with most that the selection they have is odd and incomplete, but I'm willing to overlook that because I love the idea of it. Plus, they got a few of them right.

Oh remember the archival fashion used in the context of modern day fashion editorials thread I created in 2011? No prolly cuz it got taken down without warning!!

Anywhoo I love the concept of this cover shoot but execution not so much. The studio shots are lackluster, sterile, the fashion styling not modernized, made relevant for today, the cover photo hair is atrocious and make up too busy. The matte but still natural MU looks Linda Cantello created for the original FW 95 runway show looks fresher today than what Hung came up with for this shoot. Cantello's 95 version of matte is much more wearable, flattering. I always want to scrape off the horribly cakey, chalky, flat lip looks trending on IG past few years. The last shot of Julianne in MJ is laughable, has fashion victim written all over it.

Julianne Moore

Photographer: Phil Poynter
Set Design: Kate Stein
Stylist: Karla Welch
Hair: Serge Normant
Makeup: Hung Vanngo
Manicure; Gina Eppolito
Cast: Julianne Moore

US InStyle Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads