Vanity Fair April 2019 : Beto O'Rourke by Annie Leibovitz

' I'm just born to be in it'... ' god wanted me to run' … ' I feel called to do this'
Quotes like that make me cringe uncontrollably.
Not feeling much about holding his announcement until the same day this issue dropped.
I still don't know much about him as a candidate, guess I should read this!

So sad that after that cover of Vanity FAIL, Annie has to do sh*t like the Biebers for Vogue and then this

I'm more intrigued by the machinations behind this cover. The 'Everyday Joe' vibe, which must've been underscored when this shoot was discussed. Very interesting.

Around the same time that the cover came out he texted a local Texas tv station saying he's running in 2020. So kinda a high-low announcement with VF and an El Paso tv station getting the news. The writer said he got the interview by walking up to Beto's house and introducing himself.

I wish Stacey Abrams or Kamala Harris were on the cover, but I guess that's asking too much...

Wow, lol, at least there's a plan B for Beto if his political career doesn't take off. Insta thirst trap.

Hype train has left the station! Leibovitz's photography actually makes sense here.

He's a very interesting choice for the Democratic party though, enough to sway the Republicans with his Texas/God/good ol' boy roots, enough to sway the millennials with his teenage hacker and punk past, and nice to see the Democrats not try to push someone just because they are a minority (woman/racially/sexually whatever) -- just because Obama was a good candidate, doens't mean there is a need to always check a box.

He's like the Justin Theroux of political candidates.

Worked for France.

Worked for France.[/QUOTE]

Not really, he has a lower approval rating than Trump, Protestors have literally erected a giant Guillotine in his honour with his party's name on it in central Paris.

Not really, he has a lower approval rating than Trump, Protestors have literally erected a giant Guillotine in his honour with his party's name on it in central Paris.

I meant the getting into office part. Not commenting on whether he's a success or not.

I'm more interested in the sales pitch of the candidate than the politics part.

Politics interests me very little.

Last edited:
When female candidates like Elizabeth Warren or Kamala Harris are busy rolling out potential policies after potential policies, he just had to be photographed by Leibovitz and say “born to be in it” to be appreciated by the masses. This is truly the sad era of personality over substance. Across the board from fashion to art to politics. No wonder mediocrity prevails.

Last edited:
Beto's Choice

Photographer: Annie Leibovitz
Cast: Beto O'Rourke

Vanity Fair Digital Edition

What a Trip!

Photographer: Art Streiber
Stylist: Deborah Afshani
Hair: Bobby Eliot, Kylee Heath
Makeup: Kayleen McAdams, Molly R Stern
Manicure: Sarah Bland
Cast: Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph

The Music Man

Photographer: Stas Komarovski
Stylist: Tony Irvine
Grooming: Jason Schneidman
Cast: Mark Ronson

Keep your feet off of the table

^Looks like a big pouffe to me. So to speak.

I'm still waiting to see whether this man is going to turn up on the UK cover. Like I said in the Cover Rumour thread, I can't see that people here would be too interested in who this man is, amid everything else that's going on right now.

^Looks like a big pouffe to me.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:, I'm dead!

^Looks like a big pouffe to me. So to speak.

I'm still waiting to see whether this man is going to turn up on the UK cover. Like I said in the Cover Rumour thread, I can't see that people here would be too interested in who this man is, amid everything else that's going on right now.

He is, I'm afraid. I subscribe to the UK edition on PressReader and he's on the cover. Watch how this will be their worst selling cover for 2019 in the UK. This flagrant disregard for the British reader is really infuriating.

This is all so very corny and cheesy, look at those shots with the kids for example- brr. Who is interested in that? Showing the 'perfect family'. You are just a potential candidate, focus on the race instead of selling yourself and your family to a magazine.

I don't see fashion on this.

Beto O'Rourke says his Vanity Fair campaign rollout was a mistake

Former congressman Beto O'Rourke on Tuesday acknowledged that the Vanity Fair cover declaring his candidacy was a misstep, telling hosts of The View that it was "the perception of privilege."

O'Rourke, in the middle of a media blitz this week, hasn't been able to shake off questions about the magazine cover published in March -- "Beto's CHOICE: I want to be in it. Man I'm just born to be in it -- and has been forced to acknowledge being what he called, "a white man who's had a privilege in my life."

During O'Rourke's first daytime interview as a 2020 presidential candidate, The View host Meghan McCain asked if he felt he could get away with more because he is a man and if he had any regrets about the magazine cover

"There are things that I have been privileged to do in my life that others cannot," O'Rourke replied. "And I think the more that I travel and listen to people and listen from them, the clearer that becomes to me."

LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anna Nilufer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->