Vanity Fair March 2008 : The Hollywood Issue by Annie Leibovitz

i like the color, it nice! want to see bigger pic, it not so clearly their make-up or dress.

What does everyone have to say about the decision to switch back to fresh faces for the Hollywood Issue? That is for me the most interesting facet of this rather than who actually made the cover - I don't really care if Jessica Biel is despised or beloved, she wouldn't be the first person to be on VF's cover who seems like/is an odd choice.

VF had for some time used the Hollywood Issue as a launch pad for new (or better yet, newish) young celebrities with varying degrees of success. Sometimes they got it right - sometimes they got it wrong. It was a very coveted position for a young actor to garner and it generated a great deal of publicity for those involved. The powers that be at VF claimed they got rid of the whole young Hollywood angle since they would wind up getting all but bribed by publicists to get their clients on the covers but who knows if that is the real reason.

Lets take a look back at some of the previous fresh faces featured ^_^

APRIL 1995:
"HOLLYWOOD HIGHEST—THE CLASS OF 2000" Jennifer Jason Leigh, Uma Thurman, Nicole Kidman, Patricia Arquette, Linda Fiorentino, Gwyneth Paltrow, Sarah Jessica Parker, Julianne Moore, Angela Bassett, and Sandra Bullock.

2qtd8qh.jpg

APRIL 1996:
"BOYS' TOWN" Tim Roth, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew McConaughey, Benicio Del Toro, Michael Rapaport, Stephen Dorff, Johnathon Schaech, David Arquette, Will Smith, and Skeet Ulrich.

i1xjb9.jpg

APRIL 1997:
"THE NEXT WAVE" Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Claire Danes, Renée Zellweger, Minnie Driver, Alison Elliott, Jada Pinkett, Jennifer Lopez, Charlize Theron, and Fairuza Balk.

17ziux.jpg

APRIL 1998:
"THE HOT NEXT WAVE" Joaquin Phoenix, Vince Vaughn, Natalie Portman, Djimon Hounsou, Cate Blanchett, Tobey Maguire, Claire Forlani, Gretchen Mol, Christina Ricci, Ed Furlong, and Rufus Sewell.

zn9e6b.jpg

APRIL 1999:
"NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK" Adrien Brody, Thandie Newton, Monica Potter, Reese Witherspoon, Julia Stiles, Leelee Sobieski, Giovanni Ribisi, Sarah Polley, Norman Reedus, Anna Friel, Omar Epps, Kate Hudson, Vinessa Shaw, and Barry Pepper.

j5cl8j.jpg

APRIL 2000: "SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS" Penélope Cruz, Wes Bentley, Mena Suvari, Marley Shelton, Chris Klein, Selma Blair, Paul Walker, Jordana Brewster, and Sarah Wynter.

dr5sm.jpg

I would say they have had about an 80-85% success rate. Some of the people they selected went on to become huge film stars. Others...not so much. What interests me about this is that now after 8 years they've decided to bring this tradition back. That is what is exciting about this for me. The covers in the past few years have featured stars who were already very established - not that the girls on this cover haven't been in big movies but they're certainly not on the full level of being household names just yet. Its exciting to see them in this context.

Image Credits | Wasted Beauty Blog

people seem to have high hopes for emily blunt, and yet i have not seen her in anything (not even devil wears prada)

Thanks for posting the blast from the past Luxx.
Clearly the celebrities chosen in the April 2000 issue is odd (Minus Penelope Cruz).

I want to see who's in the foldout so bad:heart:

Thanks for posting the blast from the past Luxx.
Clearly the celebrities chosen in the April 2000 issue is odd (Minus Penelope Cruz).

LOL I know. Every issue there are 2-3 people who now seem like WTF choices (although I'm sure they were reasonable back then), and the rest are ok. In that issue, it's the other way around. Penelope is ok and everyone is WTF?

Ever since 2000, Vanity Fair has most often done a strange amalgam of new and established faces (with the exception of any year where only men are featured on the cover, do they no longer believe in new male talent?), and I can't say which I prefer.

But then again, I have to say I am not at all crazy about the fact that they'll feature some stars on multiple times. Of course, when you put Nicole Kidman on a fresh face issue in 1995, and then an established/ingenue cover in 2001, it's not that big of a deal, but Scarlett Johansson 3 years in a row? Really? Were they running out of ideas, or was she just always available? And when you add up the number of ladies (and it's only ladies) who have appeared more than once, the list gets pretty lengthy.

When it came to fresh face covers though, I think that Vanity Fair is allowed a bit of a hit-and-miss. It's impossible to always be right. Despite how successful I wish Sarah Wynter had become... you can't always get what you want.

keira knightley was already on the hollywood issue...
this one is supposed to be "fresh faces"...

I wouldn't consider Anne Hathaway a "Fresh face", though. She's a little more established than the others.

I don't understand why Jessica Biel is on the cover, maybe the foldout but even that would be undeserved.

people seem to have high hopes for emily blunt, and yet i have not seen her in anything (not even devil wears prada)

She's been in some very good things, I'd suggest My Summer of Love, I saw that before the whole Devil Wears Prada tag became attached to her.

this new star should be in the cover:
Blake Lively

tang wei

Gemma Ward ( she change the atress?)

Hilary Duff

Last edited by a moderator:
why do people like emily?
Its quite simple,she is TALENTED,and a beautiful woman with lots of class and grace.I have seen few of her movies,and i enjoyed her performance in every one of them.She was brilliant in The Jane Austen Book Club,i think she definietly has a bright future before her.
Guess she is not interesting in a gossip/celebrity way though.

I have to say just seeing those group covers from the past,i am yet again reminded how incredibly contrived that concept is.

Blake Lively

tang wei

Hilary Duff

Blake Lively will never be on Vanity Fair. With these 'new Hollywood' covers, they usually try to pick someone who is going to have a career three years from now. That's not Blake, and she's tacky and ugly.

Hilary Duff? Seriously?

Blue Dolphin, we are talking actresses, not models and gemma is an actress! Hilary Duff as your choice blake-i do see her as a VF cover, but some years off.

now, lets get back to the real-

as far as the 95 cover-jennifer jason leigh is "WTF", cause she had been around for YEARS at that point and to this day, has never gone beyond a cult fave. Patricia Arquette never lived up to the hype and she has a very weird stocky body type.

96-Always hated that leo pose-too femme and stephen dorff-what were they thinking? His pose shows he thinks he is the **** and he couldn't be more wrong. Tim Roth and Benicio look so much older than everyone else. Jonathan Schaech and Skeet Ulrich.

97-Fairuza Balk-where is she now? Same with Alison Elliot and Minnie Driver? I don't think so.

98-Claire Forlani? Are they kidding? God, look at edited: weight talk Vince Vaughn was. I want to know who the hell at VF had a hard on for Gretchen Mol at VF. She was on a very famous cover that predicted her as the next big thing and then poof! Nothing. Best example other than Alicia Silverstone of hype over substance. Edward Furlong. Hell to the naw!

99-Anna Friel is unrecognizable in that pic. Love her on Pushing Daisies. Norman Reedus, Barry Pepper-they had damn good publicists is all I can say. Leelee Sobieski? Nope. Giovanni Ribisi-jury still out.

2000-It's funny, because as I remember when I got this in the mail, I thought this was a joke. Paul Walker, Jordana Brewster, Chris Klein, Selma Blair, Sarah Wynter-all these people beyond generic.

Just my ramblings. Love to know what you think of my opinions!

Blake Lively

tang wei

Hilary Duff

Hilary Duff- I don't see her acting career as anything too great so I hope she doesnt get the cover any time soon (or at all) and Blake Lively? I cannot stand her- I hate how she's already pushed into the limelight and tagged as the next 'it' girl with her Teen Vogue cover & attending all the recent couture & NY fashion shows. And Gemma- well she has a lot to do to prove herself regarding acting, she would be kind of ridiculous on a spread like this, but everyone has their opinions :flower:

it's funny how a majority of the people who made the past Hollywood covers have really faded into obscurity. It's almost sad...

Anyway I agree....ellen page is not glamorous enough to score these types of covers. And she may never grow past the quirky girl roles...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->