Vanity Fair March 2009 : Barack Obama By Annie Leibovitz

I mean sorry the cover wasn't Vlada/Sasha/Stam/Lily or whatever.:rolleyes:

I couldnt agree more :lol:. I actually like reading VF more than other fashion mags. It's very inquiring and most of the time I agree with what the writer is conveying in the story.

Notice how in the 07 cover when he was just a senator the text is over his head but now that he's PRESIDENT his head comes before the text.

Great Find :flower::D

Last edited by a moderator:
i think VF should have just kept the red background. after all, not many people would have remembered obama's cover before (he was one of many cover subjects that month)

I just picked up this issue and so far I think its quite good, the Hollywood portfolio is underwhelming but the issue is good overall. I can do a full review of the articles later tonight if anyone is interested. There is an especially lovely piee on growing up in Hollywood in the 50s and 60s that seems like an interesting read. Typical VF fascination with Old Hollywood but interesting nonetheless given it's parallels between that era's relative innocence and normalcy vs. the current obsession with celebrity children.

Here is the cover for all the Bama lovers.

Image Credit | Scanned by Me from VF March 09

My mom just got this issue too and I like it a lot, im actually really glad he got the cover.

I always look foward to the Hollywood issue including the 3 page spread cover. Couldn't we have had Obama in April? I mean he will be the president for another 8 years.

^ The degree with which many of you apparently anticipate this March cover all year makes me wish I had done something truly important with my life and gone into the magazine industry :lol:

Seriously, you look forward to a magazine cover all year?? :huh: I don't even look forward to Christmas all year ... I'm, like, involved in my life and everything ... enjoying the moment and whatnot :wink: You would not believe how little of my life I spend thinking about magazine covers. My participation in this thread has already thrown off my lifetime average :lol:

^ :lol: I guess its just something look foward too. Its just 1 of those covers that you know is fixed to have a theme.
The portfolio with the actors and actresses is great but this year it is a little disappointing.

Freida Pinto

scanned by yours truly

^ The degree with which many of you apparently anticipate this March cover all year makes me wish I had done something truly important with my life and gone into the magazine industry :lol:

Seriously, you look forward to a magazine cover all year??

um, yes :unsure: :lol: i don't think it's that crazy to find people like that on tfs. :lol:

^:D
You can be involved with your life and everything, and still be excited for a certain cover.. it isnt like it engulfs our lives.

Vanity Fair is giving politics precedence over everything else and I applaud them for that.

Decisions in politics is (obviously) what runs a country and bad decisions can have unimaginable effects on people. Sure, the Oscars is big and coveted, but it comes around every year, one political mishap and that could really change the turn of events. Yes, the annual promise of having a hollywood cover not really being carried out this year will disappoint eager collectors, but politics, expecially at a time like this is so much more important.
Having President Obama on the April cover would mean that the hype of the Presidential election has already cooled substantially, you want to encourage readers to pick up and read about an issue when its still in everyones' head. This man has just become one of the most important head figures in the world; there is no such thing as over-exposure when you're President of the United States of America- your every decisions are are analysed, criticised and there is nothing you can do about it.
the only disappointment I have with the cover is what Spike413 has been saying- President Obama shoud be smiling!

babyjane said:
They're doing a Actor/Director theme but why in the world is Nicole Kidman and Baz Luhrman in there? Their film tanked badly they don't deserve to be in there this year.

Yeah well Tom is in there with Ron and Angels & Demons has nothing to do with the awards season but whatevs. Nicole's coat is fantastic though. I would have liked to have seen more pairings. Happy about Dev.

The newbies are going a bit nuts over this. Had a flip through today at the shops and overall I don't think it's a great issue whether you like Obama or Hollywood.

I too look forward to the Hollywood issue every year but then I don't have much of a life so.

April is the "Green" issue which to me is always lame so bring on May.

ok ... Nicole is a fashion icon, whether anyone likes it or not. yes, she may have mangled her face, but she is an icon. period.

ALSO -- the movie did NOT tank. in America, yes it did. but internationally?!? hell no, unless you consider a Worldwide gross of $186,969,498 (and counting...) tanking. sure, it isn't going to turn a huuuge profit, but it certainly isn't going to lose money, so it hasn't tanked. period.

and YES, perhaps it's a bit of Obama overload with the covers this month ... but it is a MOMENTOUS occasion. the magazines want and need to be a part of that history. there is NOTHING more relevant right now than the American's new president.

Enter Obama
Photo Annie Leibovitz
Text Maureen Orth
Subject Barack Obama

vanity fair

The Godfather Wars Pt. 1
Text Mark Seal

vanity fair

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members