Vanity Fair March 2009 : Barack Obama By Annie Leibovitz

I normally view Vanity Fair as a political magazine, with some high society features, and some celebrity stuff. So the Hollywood issue is always a treat. So I was little sad to know that a Vanity Fair Hollywood cover would not be available to me this year. But there is always next year, so I'll just let my dissapointment fade about this.

It's not like they've cancelled the Hollywood Feature completely, it's just not on the cover - a cover that most people would probably moan and complain about anyway....:huh:

Ohhhh I get it - america has to have an attractive president to be prosperous right? So next time we should just vote for marcus schenkenberg?

No but in all seriousness Obama is RELEVANT to what's going on in America so I don't understand the complaints on him being on the cover.
And there are ten amazing portfolios and images inside the issue so there's your Hollywood fix

P.S. I would just buy this magazine solely for the image of Heath inside ...

actors-directors-0903-pp09.jpg

source|vanityfair.com

It's not like they've cancelled the Hollywood Feature completely, it's just not on the cover - a cover that most people would probably moan and complain about anyway....:huh:

I know, which is why I'm going to stop whining.

Is it so bad that i want my cake and to eat it too? :innocent::flower:

I love the cover. It's simple, no frills, pretty much everything needed at this time. I also really like the "PLUS: HOLLYWOOD 2009!". Vanity Fair is giving politics precedence over everything else and I applaud them for that.

Ohhhh I get it - america has to have an attractive president to be prosperous right? So next time we should just vote for marcus schenkenberg?

No but in all seriousness Obama is RELEVANT to what's going on in America so I don't understand the complaints on him being on the cover.
And there are ten amazing portfolios and images inside the issue so there's your Hollywood fix

Thank you! Exactly my point, but you said it 10x better :heart:

Also, Vanity Fair never seemed to make any secret of its political affiliations, so it would be natural for them to want to celebrate Obama becoming President; producing this issue was probably more than a PR exercise to some of them. And the world of politics is often portrayed as fraught and fraudulent, this is a moment when we get to enjoy a shift in mood, a time of positive expectations - and why not make the most of it? It isn't going to last.

So I would rather read about that - at this moment in time - than a bunch of luvvies who dress up for a living, plus recently deceased actors we endlessly have to eulogise as having been the greatest thing ever (until the next one perishes). We can get a good story or a good shoot out of actors any month. They won't have gone away.

I can't stress this enough.

This is a fashion mag which means I want to see a fashion model on the cover.
He seems to be a great person. And he definitely has a strong aura.
But there are other magazines/newspapers which have the right to have him on the cover. But not a FASHION MAGAZINE

PS: I don't like to see actors/singers/Paris Hiltons on a Vogue/VF/Elle... cover either

I can't stress this enough.

This is a fashion mag which means I want to see a fashion model on the cover.
He seems to be a great person. And he definitely has a strong aura.
But there are other magazines/newspapers which have the right to have him on the cover. But not a FASHION MAGAZINE

PS: I don't like to see actors/singers/Paris Hiltons on a Vogue/VF/Elle... cover either

Are you in the right thread? Vanity Fair is not a FASHION MAGAZINE

Yes, but fashion is not, and never will be defined by models, cover stars and celebrities only. The great thing about The Fashion Spot is it's able to look further, rather than the loosely defined outside view of what fashion is or should be.

at first i thought that i wanted to see another cover like last march's with the hollywood starlets but now im starting to like the cover. it's not the most exciting cover but he is the president, isn't that exciting?

Manuva said:
It's not like they've cancelled the Hollywood Feature completely, it's just not on the cover

Oh goody :D

Is that pic of Heath and Chris a cut/paste job cause I swear I've seen the Heath bit of it before.

judging from the supermodels you list, the logic in your post could stand for yourself :D
grow up, get an education, start caring about what is going on the world not just fashion. Obama is better looking than the mantis Snejana.... f you are tired of the president, stop complaining about overexposure when you should be more concerned about the issues

This comment is completely uncalled for. Putting a smiley face doesn't make it any better. People who disagree with you aren't immature, uneducated or uncaring.

This is a fashion site, not the New York Times. We comment about fashion and covers we do and do not like and the people on it. It does not mean we do not care about what is happening in the world. It is very difficult to not know the state of the world. But in this little self-enclosed oasis, we are free to dream and forget about the hardships that exist. That is also the reason why you're here and not only a site devoted to Obama's issues.

Some of us are not fawning over Barack Obama. Some of us do not believe he is the answer to all our prayers. His face is practically on the cover of every single magazine. At Barnes and Noble, there is an entire magazine section devoted to him. You can not possibly escape his face. It is media love fest on steroids that started during the Primary and continues ad nauseum.

I understand the significance of having the first black President. Vanity Fair is in its right to place the Obama on the cover. It was expected. It is VF after all. He is now a historical figure.

However, I still wait the day that media would stop shoving the Obamas down our throats as if he's the second coming of Christ.

^ It's true that tFS is primarily a fashion site ... but I don't see why we can't have all the intelligence, sophistication, and aplomb of the New York Times ... perhaps leaving behind the pretension.

I myself like to remain in touch with reality at all times, including the time I spend on tFS. We don't hand out fashion blinders at the door ...

^ It's true that tFS is primarily a fashion site ... but I don't see why we can't have all the intelligence, sophistication, and aplomb of the New York Times ... perhaps leaving behind the pretension.

I myself like to remain in touch with reality at all times, including the time I spend on tFS. We don't hand out fashion blinders at the door ...

The issue is not about having intelligent discussion and being political aware. The issue is calling someone uneducated and immature because the person does not agree with your point of view and infatuation with Obama.

They're doing a Actor/Director theme but why in the world is Nicole Kidman and Baz Luhrman in there? Their film tanked badly they don't deserve to be in there this year.

I didn't post the Heath Ledger/Christopher Nolan pic because it's on the previous page.

BTW my picks for Oscar wins: Milk, Sean Penn, Meryl Streep, Heath Ledger, Viola Davis, Gus Van Sant. :D

spvos1.jpg

30112qq.jpg

288pa1v.jpg

14nihz8.jpg

10mlxjs.jpg

53ut1k.jpg

30n8ck1.jpg

14wbrk2.jpg

97tshi.jpg

More articles and behind-the-scenes videos at vanityfair.com

Last edited by a moderator:
the cover is a reprint
Below Left: The July 2007 issue of Vanity Fair featuring then Senator Barack Obama.
When contacted, a magazine spokesperson confirmed that the two covers use the same photo and that the credit inside the new issue acknowledges that Annie Leibovitz took the portrait of the Prez in 2007.
perezhilton.com

Attachments

• obama.jpg
    obama.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 10
Well, every time they run a cover with a Kennedy, it's never a new shot either, but then again, there is a good reason for that...

Is this the first time a magazine has recycled its own cover shot?

hmm. that's very strange. thanks babyjane, i like the pictures. tom hanks is so old, wow i didn't know..:blink:

It is true that not every American voted for "him". If you did, great! Kiss the magazine, frame it, who cares? But in America, we have freedom of speech. If you dont like what someone is saying, dont read the thread anymore. Or atleast be a mature adult and dont reply to what they said. I will go ahead and say, I am SO HAPPY my subscription ran out and I will not recieve this :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->