Vanity Fair March 2012 : The Hollywood Issue by Mario Testino

It's like I've gone to a glamorous party but I'm not really sure who half the people are... so I am intrigued. Although these days, nothing makes my heart sink more than the words "collector's edition" on the front of a magazine, it's typically a promise of something special that never seems to materialise inside.
Posted via Mobile Device

I ID'd the dresses I could remember.

Rooney Mara Wears: Ralph Lauren Spring 2012
00370m.jpg

Mia Wasikowska Wears: Ralph Lauren Spring 2012
00360m.jpg

Jennifer Lawrence Wears: ?
I KNOW this dress...but I just cant think...
Jessica Chastain Wears:
Again...seen it a few times, but Mind blank.
Elizabeth Olsen Wears: Ralph Lauren Spring 2012
00310m.jpg

Adepero Oduye Wears: Carolina Herrera Spring 2012
00360m.jpg

Shailene Woodley Wears: Ralph Lauren Spring 2012
00380m.jpg

Paula Patton Wears: ?
That white dress could be ANYTHING.
Felicity Jones Wears: ?
Again...No Idea.
Lily Collins Wears: Calvin Kelin Collection Spring 2012 (?)
00100m.jpg

Brit Marling Wears:
Ive seen THIS one too...but for the life of me....
style.com

Mara video is priceless, not just the interview in which she came across like she has better s**t to do than answer those questions, but the faces she was making during the shot were golden, i love her! :lol:

*edit* sorry, I missed it :P

I know it´s "Fresh Young Stars" but I was hoping to see Viola :(
Shailene looks like Sofia Vergara :smile:
Who is the african american girl? and the three girls with Felicity?

Last edited by a moderator:
^ That's the same size cover I posted in the first post :flower:

I love this cover!! It's luxurious, chic, made with taste and the poses/fashion/women work really well altogether :smile: Nicely done!

I know it´s "Fresh Young Stars" but I was hoping to see Viola :(
Shailene looks like Sofia Vergara :smile:

Adepero Oduye

Paula Patton, Lily Collins and Brit Marling

Brit Marling is the STUNNING girl from Another Earth (Must See!!)

Lily Collins was in 90210 and is the new Snow White in the Julia Roberts picture Mirror Mirror

And Paula Patton aint "Young"....shes the woman in the new Mission Impossible thing *Snooze*

Thanks, guys :smile:
at least there´s one african american girl and one latin girl... I never jump to the racial talks VF prompts with the HW issue but between all the white girls and the pastel colors the cover looks so bland and waspy. Like Saan said, fair indeed...

Wow... I'm shocked that they only had two women of color on the magazine. And that they are on the inside panel. I am happy to see so many women on the cover of one magazine but I'm disappointed that they didn't include more diversity. Why not include Viola Davis on the cover??? I know she's not technically a "newbie" but neither are some of the other girls. They've been working in Hollywood and only now are they getting recognition. And she deserves the accolades more then some of the others on the cover.

Anyways... in terms of the actual cover it isn't too bad, but it seems a bit bland to be honest, it's quite forgettable in terms of the styling. I do love a good 1920's shoot but this one doesn't standout in my mind. Sorry for all the negativity but this issue really irritates me for some reason.

Wow... I'm shocked that they only had two women of color on the magazine.

In 2011 they had....NO coloured women on the cover...One Black Male: Anthony Mackie (Fold Out)

In 2010 they had....NO coloured women on the cover...

In 2009 they had....NO coloured women on the cover...

In 2008 they had....ONE coloured woman on the cover...Zoe Salanda (Fold Out)

In 2007 they had....ONE coloured male on the cover...Chris Rock (Cover)

In 2006 they had....NO coloured women on the cover...

In 2005 they had....ONE coloured woman on the cover...Kerry Washington (Fold Out)

In 2004 They had....ONE Hispanic and ONE Asian on the cover...Salma Hayek/Lucy Liu (Fold Out)

I could carry on....but you get the idea....:innocent:

Nice to see Adepero Oduye included--she's in a great movie called "Pariah."

Fail to see Paula Patton, I can't see her happening. Also not living the styling for Elizabeth Olsen. Her hair is odd. Other than that, I would say Rooney Mara steals the cover even though Jennifer Lawrence/Mia are meant to be front and center with their blondeness.

I think the best ones were in the 90s and early aughts when they mixed men and women.

Honestly, I'm really tired of those racial talks. People are never satisfied, right? We have two girls of colour (while there were NONE of them in years), and no one satisfied still. I swear, if there were all girls of colour on the cover, people'd be like, "VF made it only to prove this magazine isn't racist which we know it is". I remember how two years ago everyone was on fire because there were nine caucasian girl, and not Gabourey Sidibe. But where is Gabourey now? Despite being a good actress, she's still not that famous as Emma Stone, Carey Mulligan, etc. And that was predictable. Not because of VF, but because of Hollywood producers, directors, audience, after all. Probably, we should begin with them and not blame magazine which just meets society's requirements.
Hope I don't sound rude.

Rooney should have been swapped out with Lily but I understand why she's on the cover I just don't like her :lol: Shailene's pose reminds me of something that Lea Michele would do on a red carpet. Mia's hair is doing absolutely nothing for me, I guess it's her thing to look about 20 years older than she actually is, honey you are not Tilda Swinton. Paula Patton's Princess Leia situation confuses me, I don't know who Adepero is but she looks stunning, as do Lizzie and Felicity. I didn't recognize Lily Collins at first, but I really like that look for her. Jessica Chastain is in the same boat as Mia for me, she always looks so worn and old. I don't know who Brit Marling is, I'd have to look her up but when I look at the cover as a whole it wouldn't have suffered without her. Jennifer Lawrence looks great dead center of the main panel.

I don't think it's vanity fairs fault that there are not many girls of colour on the cover. As prairie pounted out, it's hollywood. To be fair to vanity fair i think they did a pretty good job of compiling the newbies + ladies who are everywhere at the moment. I think some actresses people have mentioned for the cover have too big a name to be on the cover of an issue like this. Anyway i'm hoping there are some other actresses inside the issue. :flower:

Pastels, again? The casting for these covers holds virtually no interest for me anymore so now I rely on it just being pleasing to the eye, and while it's pretty, it is way too similar to (more than one!) cover that was way too recent so I'm automatically bored. I can remember a gorgeous, soft (and blessedly not saccharine sweet) Hollywood cover some time ago where the actresses were all basically in tank tops and t-shirts, but its one their most memorable, I think.

I'm not always crazy about when their Vanities sections spills onto the cover. That's enough pin-up for one magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->