Velvet blazers - chic or lame?

I bought a petrol blue one years ago but don't think i ever actually wore it.. i could never really figure out how to wear it. I just don't think I'm a blazer person, I always feel a bit masculine, like the shape swamps me. :ninja:

i like velvet blazers. and pants too.

I have several but they are too big for me now methinks.
I don't know if I really like them though; if they fit nicely then yes.

They were a huge trend a few years back, I associate them with that rather than the 80s ... but I think this blazer's cute, and it was free :P So I'd say yes, if it will incorporate with your wardrobe, go ahead. If it doesn't, then I would cut it loose ...

Exactly, I don't see how something that comes back in style every 4 seasons can be perceived as being "80s". I have a black Paul Smith 1 button, peak lapels that I wear from time to time, I think it's a stapple for people that wear a lot of blazers but I don't see it as being worn by someone who owns say 1-2.

I say its Chic. You just have to pair it with the right outfit. And I feel like the outfit should be plain since the velvet blazer would be the main focal point of the outfit.

I bought a velvet blazer but i gave it away, It did not agree with me at all.There is something about them that is not quite right.

love them. to me they are more goth, edwardian than anything else. then again I suppose I'm not crazy about any color in them other than black and some jewel tones.

i agree with that...
they are sort of goth or edwardian in black or jewel tones...
but not in a good way imo...
:ninja:...

more like in a costume way...:ermm:...
not a good look imo...

* i do have a black one..
it's very goth imo...
so i never wear it!...
:lol:...

as for other colours...
that just reminds me of horseback riding...
which is another costume altogether...
and also not good imo...

it's just never good to look like you are wearing a costume in everyday life...
and velveteen is what this stuff usually is...
cotton/velvet...which is usually quite stiff (like a white shirt)...
and that's just not very comfortable either...

so...all around...
i would say skip it ...

as stated, it all depends how you wear it. i'd keep it.

i saw a girl in a secondhand store, totally rocking the thrift-store look with a burgundy velvet blazer. it looked great on her, but i think only because it was a coordinated outfit with a mix of textures and autumnal colors.

in general, i'd agree with softgrey and say that they're very hard to pull off. it's not casual, although it seems to be. i can't just throw it on over any outfit and have it look right. i'd have to coordinate it with the whole outfit. but even doing that, it wouldn't work for me because of my personal style.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive seen some good velvet blazers for men , i would say chic for ladies also.

It depends. They aren't lame to me. Velvet blazers can be pretty warm when it's cold. Whether or not they are chic depends on how they are styled. So put me on the chic-responding crowd.

I love them, and consider them more a classic than a trend. I think they go in and out though.

Seems EVERYONE is selling velvet blazers now.

that was a huge trend in france some years ago ... i never bought one ... cause i don't know there's something wrong about it on me ...
but my bf bought 3 (petrol/dark blue, black and dark green ...) he wore them all days ... for years !!!! every season !!!! so i'm really really bored of them ... but that could give an alternative to the normal blazers we're seeing a lot those months ... wear it cool, seriously ... or you could turn into a goth thingy or something ... so forget long black dress etc. wear it with a pair of jeans and add a brooch (dont go into the silk scarf thingy unless you wanna look Biarritz ... Upper East Side ....) go the simpler you can ...

There was this recent set of pics of Nicole Richie wearing a gorgeous velvet jacket. It wasn't goth or sloppy.
Just added that little touch of style to an otherwise quite dull outfit.

Chic for me
They're such a classic piece in any wardrobe

chic!!! i would love to buy one right now
probably one that isnt so structured, like the E&J one mk has

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"