Viktor & Rolf S/S 10

this collection made me laugh so hard by myself in a good way.

it has shock factor and people will remember it

interesting to look at but not necessarily a ready to wear collection

This is amusing, but in no way is it clever, shocking, or remotely creatively. These two dropped the ball a long time ago, imo. Their theatrics are even more annoying than those of Galliano. Sad part is, they aren't completely talentless; there is talent there, but neither wants to accept the fact that they simply aren't maverick subverters.

I've always thought that these two would be better off working in the vein of Sonia Rykiel... fun and exciting but completely wearable and appealing to a woman who wants to do more than stand and look pretty... or silly, if we're being honest...

I would find totally boring and unoriginal if they become "Rykiel", we have one Rykiel already. Lets celebrate individuality!

Defying gravity flawlessly as they've done with some dresses demands a great technical skill, even if it doesn't suit your personal taste - calling it "talentless" is rather naive... sorry.

It's not wereable, that's right. But it's shocking and it shows the concept of the brand. They obviously wont make any money from this collection but it will help A LOT to make money in other areas. I'm saying this 'cos some brands doesn't really need their clothes to be wereable as long as they have an strong point of view, a big amount of fans and other stuff to sell (such as accessories). Of course, only a few can do that.

I really really really enjoyed this collection. I envy them a lot!

Now that you mention it, esquire, it's true. I forgot to say how in awe i am just by seeing the construction of those outfits.

It's not wereable, that's right. But it's shocking and it shows the concept of the brand. They obviously wont make any money from this collection but it will help A LOT to make money in other areas. I'm saying this 'cos some brands doesn't really need their clothes to be wereable as long as they have an strong point of view, a big amount of fans and other stuff to sell (such as accessories). Of course, only a few can do that.

I really really really enjoyed this collection. I envy them a lot!

They will make a lot of money from this collection.. their commercial translations for the shop floor are always good.

Obviously, I don't want them to rip off her aesthetic, esquire. And frankly, what they are doing now isn't wholly original, either. I just find that all three design in the same mindset. Sonia Rykiel, however, manages to the bridge the line between fun/exciting and wearable, whereas V&R go out of their way to run these ideas into the ground in the most ridiculous manner, imo. You may be impressed by showy theatrics, but I am not. I like substance behind the work, it's lacking here but let's agree to disagree.

Another example of this aesthetic is Elsa Schiaparelli; subversive, clever, insane, beautiful, wearable, timeless... all rolled into one. V&R could only aspire to such heights. It's just not their strong pt. They are, however, very good @ making charming, feminine clothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
source : purple-diary.com

Attachments

• tumblr_kqy0q4zDaK1qzwof2o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_kqy0q4zDaK1qzwof2o1_1280.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 40
Somehow this feels less gimmicky than usual and more conceptual. The play with proportions and volume looks very exciting. That dress cascading over Olga's shoulder looks amazing. It looks impossible! And this looks like collection that is easily translated into something wearable when pealed down to the basics. Like the jackets with the tulle on the side. Take the tulle of and there's a great jacket to sell. I am excited!

Obviously, I don't want them to rip off her aesthetic, esquire. And frankly, what they are doing now isn't wholly original, either. I just find that all three design in the same mindset. Sonia Rykiel, however, manages to the bridge the line between fun/exciting and wearable, whereas V&R go out of their way to run these ideas into the ground in the most ridiculous manner, imo. You may be impressed by showy theatrics, but I am not. I like substance behind the work, it's lacking here but let's agree to disagree.

Another example of this aesthetic is Elsa Schiaparelli; subversive, clever, insane, beautiful, wearable, timeless... all rolled into one. V&R could only aspire to such heights. It's just not their strong pt. They are, however, very good @ making charming, feminine clothing.

You're implying a subjective & contemporary zeitgeist thinking regarding Elsa's work. In her time (20s to 40s) people might have had the same impressions of lurid inaccessibility as you're having about V&R now.. take this in to consideration ....

Par2812664_xxlarge.jpg
what?

runwayreporter

[quote = wheneveriwakeup; 6248791] Esto es divertido, pero de ninguna manera es dramático inteligente, creativa o de forma remota. Estos dos dejó caer la pelota desde hace mucho tiempo, la OMI. Su teatro es aún más molesto que las de Galliano. Lo triste es, que no son completamente talento, hay talento, pero ninguno quiere aceptar el hecho de que simplemente no son subversivos inconformista.

Siempre he pensado que estos dos sería mejor trabajar en la vena de Sonia Rykiel ... divertido y emocionante, pero completamente usable y atractivo para una mujer que quiere hacer algo más que ponerse de pie y parecen bastante ... o tonto, si estamos siendo honestos ...[/ quote]

Totally agree B)

Esquire, you brought up a very valid point about Schiaparelli. However, I still feel that V&R's r-t-w presentations are lacking in vitality, subversion, and most importantly, substance. As you already said, the pieces in the stores are wearable versions of the r-t-w theatrics, so why not cut the BS and show those pieces on the runway? It would be a lot more exciting and commendable on V&R's part. Is the general consumer that jaded that designers feel the need to resort to such gimmicky tactics to get people talking? :doh:

I'm sorry, but the illusion of Anja's dress is just too cool in the picture!!!

My fave is the red dress which looks like there are chunks someone ate missing. Which is particularly nice, because that's exactly the kind of dress that looks edible. It would have worked even better conceptually if it was white or pink, but I suppose that wouldn't have been the same visual effect. Some of the other ones, especially the light blues, are rather hideous. I wish they could have stuck with the "bite me and/or my dress" theme.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->