Viktor & Rolf turn retail Upside Down

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Friday, April 08, 2005
Viktor & Rolf Turns Retailing on Its Head
By Miles Socha and Luisa Zargani

The floor on the ceiling ... and the ceiling on the floor.
MILAN — Leave it to Viktor & Rolf to literally turn designer retailing on its head.
The Dutch design wizards’ first signature shop just opened here with an upside-down decor that has oak parquet on the ceiling and chandeliers sprouting out of the floor.
“We wanted to give a new perspective on a shop,” said Viktor Horsting who, with Rolf Snoeren, designs one of the most conceptual collections in the business. “You really enter into a surrealistic world, the Viktor & Rolf world, where nothing is what it seems to be.”
Architect Siebe Tettero, who worked with the two designers on their stately new headquarters in Amsterdam, said that, when they approached him with their need to “twist the classic,” he opted to revisit the neoclassical style, which he described as the most “recognizable and familiar” design.

The TV set showing the designers’ runway show is also upside down, encased in a white cabinet modeled after an 18th-century Swedish tiled stove. In each of the two rooms, there is a fireplace flanked by chairs, with mirrors above them.
“Well, underneath them, in this case,” Horsting corrected.

As reported, the designers recently inked new licensing agreements for shoes, underwear, silk scarves and neckties.
But the Milan boutique represents the first time all the designers’ products will be housed under one roof — or should we say, above?

The boutique also provides an opportunity to sell some of the “couture” pieces featured by Viktor & Rolf in every runway show — and other special designs.

excerpt from wwd...

:D

The floor on the ceiling ... and the ceiling on the floor.

thats freakin cool, awesome post softie

Viktor&Rolf : upside down in Milan

040805_19.jpg

:blink: come on, let's blink.. :D
this is so fresh.. it is unsettling BUT i certainly want to 'experience' on my next visit to Milan..
i like V&R they are original and creative

Last edited by a moderator:
thats pretty cool, if i had the chance id definitely visit the shop. thanks for the post softrgrey!~

I love it! :heart: It's such a simple idea it's strange no-one else has done it :huh: but so effective. Thanks for the pics Softgrey :flower:

It reminds me of Roald Dahl, he wrote a book when someone glued furniture to the ceiling to turn the whole room upside down.

Pretty amazing shop.

^ The Twits! I thought of that too. :P
The shop looks like fun, very V & R.

Wow that's looks so cool. I'd really love to see it for myself too....makes me proud to be a fellow Dutch once again :P

yes, the Twits:lol:

Brilliant! I love the arches that can be used as seating.

Looks fun. I guess they had to create an interesting space to contradict the uninspiring dross they've been doing.

Wow! Took a couple of blinks to figure that photo out!

hmm

This is very unique, very original but it is also quite simple. And because of it's simplicity, it's really interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->